Page: 1

What is/was wrong with Porgy and Bess...

Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
What is/was wrong with Porgy and Bess...#1
Posted: 3/24/07 at 9:07am
Why is this production closing in may 2007, were seats not selling well?

Any CD release forseen?
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
its not done very well at all
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Sorry bt I totaly disagree with you...
Well performes, well stages, good adaptation !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bu not doing very well he means not selling, which is basically what needed to happen for it to succeed, no matter how good the production actually was.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Artistically, the production really could have done with more character development in act one, especially for Bess. I thought Sporting Life and Crown were marvellously done, and I loved the second act, but I confess the first act was more than a little... well... not my thing. XP
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When the show opened, there were wild rumours that it was sold out for months. Perhaps that has hurt some of the door trade, if people think they can't get seats.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i just meant it has not sold very well.

I cant comment on the show as i never watched it
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I never heard the sold out rumours?! It was at tkts pretty quickly, within 3 months. It just was always going to be a hard sell, especially in such a competitive market. Also it was very expensive, for anyone to take a risk on. It was at the time the most expensive new show opening (ticket cost wise). 60 at every performance top price, plus the 75 premium seats.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
This was an amazing production, but i have to agree with NS, many people were put off by the ticket prices. Yes it is an expensive show to run, but with so many other shows in town that cost a hell of a lot less, i think many people went else where.

Shame as i wanted it to have a good run.

Well it least it ran longer than Murderous Instincts!!
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
not very gd promotion?
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I think a combination of high prices, bad promotion/publicity and the insane competition during the period. It never really stood a chance against Wicked, Sound of Music etc.
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What was wrong with the promotion?
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Basically I think it suffered because the tickets were ridiculously overpriced. Butr also - for me - the new adaptation did not work. The scenes where new dialogue replaced what was previously sung really dragged. Also, Clarke Peters - though a superb actor and singer in the right genre - was hopelessly miscast. His voice just did not work with the music.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
bingbong
Stand-by
Stand-by
Personally I thought that the prodoction wasn't as origional and interesting as it could have been. They just picked it up from the origional and plonked it on stage. It was acted and sung well but left me feeling rather cheated out of something that could have been so much more exciting.

... just my thoughts xx
JeaniusIsMe Profile PhotoJeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
My main problem with the show (aside from the high ticket prices) was that by cutting the running time of the original show, the story lost its character development, leaving my trying to figure out when Porgy and Bess had fallen for each other. I left feeling like I had completely missed chunks of the story.
pattifan2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw this show last week and loved it. I knew very little about it other than part of the score. I thought Nunn did a great job and he certainly knows how to direct a company. I thought the entire cast were spot-on. I agree with some of the earlier comments, though, that the price of tickets has been the downfall of the show.
...fragment of the day...