Page: 1

Another Show Selection Question

ThePrinceOfHumbug
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Another Show Selection Question#1
Posted: 11/27/06 at 12:46am
Just trying to decided and can't pin down my final choice. I will be flying from Arizona to London for a week in May and I have one more slot to fill in the shows I am seeing. So far I have bought tickets to:
Tues-Billy Elliot, Wed-Les Mis, Thurs-Lord of the Rings, Fri-Dirty Dancing, Sat Aft-We Will Rock You, Sat Eve-Mary Poppins, Sunday-Hopefully some ManU football action, and Monday-Billy Elliot again.

I am looking to add one more weekday Matinee. I have seen Wicked 8 times, including with KC and Idina. I like the show and would love to see Kerry in it, but are there any other options I should consider? What are the chances of History Boys or Porgy and Bess extending their runs? I am trying to decide this week since Wicked tickets go on sale next Sunday.

Thanks for any of your help!
Talk Hard. Steal the Air. H.H.H.
Updated On: 11/27/06 at 12:46 AM
musicalcomedynut
Swing
Swing
re: Another Show Selection Question#1
Posted: 11/27/06 at 1:43pm
Lord of the rings? this doesn't open in London until 2007 :S. Do you mean The Producers as this currently occupies the theatre where Lord of The Rings is going to play from March. Or is there another production in the Uk that i dont know about.
woodyb
Swing
Swing
re: Another Show Selection Question#2
Posted: 11/27/06 at 1:59pm
bit off topic but u will be lucky with the man u tickets!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another Show Selection Question#3
Posted: 11/27/06 at 8:06pm
AVENUE Q
BLOOD BROTHERS
these are both great shows that you should on no account miss if you have never seen them.

There are also two very good revivals of EVITA and THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
ThePrinceOfHumbug
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Another Show Selection Question#4
Posted: 11/28/06 at 8:58pm
I am hoping to have a great trip, thanks!

LOTR opens for previews the day I arrive, but I figured I might be a little to tired to try to see it that day, so I am seeing it the 3rd night of previews. I believe the actual opening date is June something.

I think I am going to go with Sound of Music. I have seen Wicked and Ave Q. Most things I have read have been very good for SofM. Evita, not as much.

The main reason I wanted to see Wicked is I feel in love with Kerry's voice when watching WWRY clips on YouTube. She is incredible. And something about her just seems to penetrate into your heart when she is performing, so I think she will be incredible as Elphaba

As far as the Man U tickets, I work for a sporting goods company that is prominent on their apparel and equipment, so I can going to try to see if there are any inter-company strings to get tickets as well as the other normal ways. If all else fails, I'll stnad on the corner and cry and hope some ManU fan feels sorry for me and sells me an extra ticket. :)

Thanks for all the help!
widgetsparky
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Another Show Selection Question#5
Posted: 12/1/06 at 3:48am
if your a kerry fan, u can hear her do defying gravity on YouTube. its just the audio but shes amazing. x
97jrobbins Profile Photo97jrobbins Profile Photo
97jrobbins
Swing
Swing
re: Another Show Selection Question#6
Posted: 12/1/06 at 4:33am
Have u concidered the Phantom of the Opera? if ur seeing Les Miz, then why not visit the other 'supermusical' as well?!!
ThePrinceOfHumbug
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Another Show Selection Question#7
Posted: 12/2/06 at 6:12pm
I am trying to do shows that I probably won't see over here. I have seen Phantom on Broadway, in Vegas, and on tour, so I am pretty much Phantom-ed out. Not a show that I could see over and over (I reserve that for Rent...97 times and counting).

After listening to Kerry's Defying Gravity on YouTube, I want to see her perform even more. Now I just need to decide if I buy a ticket at 3 in the morning tonight when they go on sale, or try to do the rush seats.

Anyone have experience with Jet Lag between the US and London? I leave here at 7pm and get in at 1pm the next day. Seeing Billy that night. Will I be too tired to do both a matinee and evening show my first full day in london?
JellyRoll Profile PhotoJellyRoll Profile Photo
JellyRoll
Swing
Swing
re: Another Show Selection Question#8
Posted: 12/2/06 at 6:19pm
Avenue Q rocks
97jrobbins Profile Photo97jrobbins Profile Photo
97jrobbins
Swing
Swing
re: Another Show Selection Question#9
Posted: 12/3/06 at 6:06pm
what about the 'dirty dancing' musical? i dont believe this is currently showing in america on broadway so maybe this would be a good oppertunity to see it?
ThePrinceOfHumbug
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Another Show Selection Question#10
Posted: 12/4/06 at 12:38am
Thanks for all the input...I was going to wait until I got there to choose, but when I got home from work tonight, Row B, dead center was available for Wicked, so I splurged!

That leaves me with a very full week, but it should be fun. This is my Dream Trip. It makes substitute teaching on my days off worth it! Right now this means...
Mon-Depart AZ
Tues-Billy
Wed-Wicked
Wed-Les Mis
Thurs-History Boys? If it extends!!!!
Thurs-LOTR
Fri-Tate Modern, Millenium Wheel, and all that stuff
Fri-Dirty Dancing
Sat-WWRY
Sat-Mary Poppins
Sun-ManU Football
Mon-Harrods, NIKEtown, and shop-shop-shop
Mon-Billy Elliot
Tues-Fly back to AZ
Wed-sleep
Thurs-sleep
Fri-sleep

Now to start working the connections for ManU tickets! :)
All_For_Laura Profile PhotoAll_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another Show Selection Question#11
Posted: 12/4/06 at 6:28pm
Wow-quite a full week.
...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...
purpleprince101 Profile Photopurpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another Show Selection Question#12
Posted: 12/4/06 at 6:40pm
sunday in the park with George. And the sound of music
benny123 Profile Photobenny123 Profile Photo
benny123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Another Show Selection Question#13
Posted: 12/5/06 at 1:12pm
Wow! I hope you have a great time!
ThePrinceOfHumbug
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Another Show Selection Question#14
Posted: 12/5/06 at 8:05pm
Thanks! It is kinda one of those once in a lifetime "oh my god I'm 30 and it's time to do it" trips. Never planned on seeing so many shows, but the tickets for the shows I had been try to choose from all fell into place. And when my roommate offered a week of free housing through her timeshare...it was a no brainer. Now I just need to start drinking beer so I can enjoy the pubs after the shows.