Jersey Boys

theatrelovr Profile Phototheatrelovr Profile Photo
theatrelovr
Understudy
Understudy
Jersey Boys#0
Posted: 8/25/06 at 5:39pm
Hey all, was wondeing if anyone out there has any info on how long the originals are going to be with the show. I have tickets to go in the beginning of October, and I am hearing some buzz that JLY may not be there anymore. Thanks
west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys#1
Posted: 8/25/06 at 6:03pm
Think you need the broadway board as jersey boys hassnt even confirmed an opening here yet.

xxxxxxx
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys#2
Posted: 8/26/06 at 4:38am
For UK members only - has any one else from the UK seen Jersey Boys? I was fortunate enough to see it last November shortly after its opening (and when you could still get tickets). I thought it was tremendous. If I had to pick out one quality about the show it was its energy. I spoke to the lead actor, John Lloyd Young,at the stage door.He told me that Cameron Macintosh had just seen the show.

I can't wait for the show to come to London
RYANWOODS Profile PhotoRYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Jersey Boys#3
Posted: 8/26/06 at 9:17am
Cameron saw the show and decided to get into London and it will now open April 2007 at The Novello. He did that same with Avenue Q
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys#4
Posted: 8/26/06 at 4:40pm
Thanks-I guess you are close to the source. Nothing announced officially yet?

Apart from John Lloyd Young, it'd also be good to get Christian Hoff to come over. He's outstanding as the bombastic Tommy de Vito.In fact all four leads are great but those are my two favourites.

The one slight doubt I sometimes have is how things will play with London audiences. The 4 Seasons didn't have as many hits in the UK as in the US; and might some of the Jersey stuff be lost on local audiences?

That said the themes in the show are pretty universal and most of the music is well known even if the hit in the UK was a cover version rather than the original 4 seasons' version.
Matty
Understudy
Understudy
re: Jersey Boys#5
Posted: 8/26/06 at 6:10pm
The Four Seasons were MASSIVE over here! There will be no problem with a shortage of fans.
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys#6
Posted: 8/26/06 at 7:18pm
Matty much as I would like to agree with you about popularity in the UK, it just doesn't match what they enjoyed on their home turf. They had 5 No 1 hits in the USA plus 3 for Frankie Valli as a solo artist. In the UK they only had one No 1 hit. That is the relative scale of their popularity on either side of the water.

I was around at the time and they never got any media coverage in the way that say the Beach Boys did. Many of their finest songs were ignored by British radio and then later became hits as cover versions, e.g. "Can't Take My eyes Off You". There's loads of people in Britain who think that's an Andy Williams song!
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys#7
Posted: 8/27/06 at 10:23am
Ive seen jersey boys and have to agree its an amazing show(not sure if it deserved the tony though)but i dont see it doing as well over here.
I think the jukebox musical does have a place over here but im just not sure about this one.I cant help think that this will run for years in the states but when it comes here prob wont last over a year(like rent).

The show def has not been made official yet at the Novello but the staff there say it is coming so far.

xx
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys#8
Posted: 8/27/06 at 3:52pm
West End Artist I'd be interested in learning a bit more about your reasoning on this. For me the plus side is the energy and the music, plus one or two clever bits of staging. But I do worry about how well it will translate for a British audience. For example Americans of a certain age sighed with recognition about the Ed Sullivan Show, but that won't mean much to Brits of any age -it's just not part of our folk memory.

I hope my doubts are misplaced and that it'll be a smash here. I just don't think we can assume.

Finally: Jersey Boys is not a Jukebox Musical!!!!! It's nothing like Mamma Mia, which I didn't like even tho' I like Abba. It's something else, lets say a bio musical, or whatever better term some one can come up with.
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys#9
Posted: 8/27/06 at 4:16pm
Im afraid which ever way you put it jersey boys is a jukebox musical.The music is all well know songs from the group etc which makes it a jukebox musical,It may be far superior to the likes of mama mia and we will rock you but it's still a juke box musical.

I dont think the UK will have as much as intrest in this show as america did.The show did so well there because of the amount of coverage it got on tv shows etc and i doubt it will get that here.
I think it will prob run for a year and do well come awards time but then it will be straight out on national tour
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys#10
Posted: 8/28/06 at 8:52am
Yes Jersey Boys is definately a jukebox musical, but just a different style. Its more like Buddy as apposed to Mamma Mia. With so many shows opening this year im not sure if this would get lost opening so soon after all the others. Its a musical bio. The success of it over here would depend on word of mouth. I would be surprised if it go much in the way of an advance before opening.
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys#11
Posted: 8/28/06 at 6:10pm
You're both insisting on "jukebox musical" but when I heard Cameron Mackintosh on Radio 4 a couple of months ago, he used a phrase like "compilation musical" about it.

Even in New York, the show didn't have much of an advance. Much as I was a fan, I was uncertain whether it would have much success after failures like Good Vibrations and Lennon. It just grew by word of mouth and soon reached 100% occupancy
*MuSiCaLs_FaN* Profile Photo*MuSiCaLs_FaN* Profile Photo
*MuSiCaLs_FaN*
Understudy
Understudy
re: Jersey Boys#12
Posted: 8/28/06 at 8:09pm
I don't know which FOH staff member said it was coming to the Novello, but that information is incorrect, itis purely a rumour! ! When that show eventually comes to London it will go into a theatre where it can have an extended run if need be. Cameron Mackintosh has a 5 year contract with the RSC to do their productions twice yearly, they won't all necessarily be at the Novello, but it is the favoured theatre, so the only shows to come in between those times would have to be shows with limited runs - so the Jersey Boy's is definately ruled out! and that came from Theatre Management!
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys#13
Posted: 8/29/06 at 4:56am
Thanks for the information. This confirms what I'd last read, which was that the US producers, Dodgers Theatricals were eyeing a suitable theatre, but unfortunately the one they want already has a musical in it and it wasn't going anywhere soon. So it's wait and see.
RYANWOODS
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Jersey Boys#14
Posted: 8/29/06 at 5:36am
well i guess we shall we see who will be right, i will be though. I have seen plans for The Novello.

The RSC deal with Cam Mac is not with the Novello but with any of his theatres. So for 2007 season that could easily be The Wyndhams/Noel Coward or Gielgud.

Jersey Boys will premiere in the UK with previews from End of April 2007 at The Novello currently.
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys#15
Posted: 8/29/06 at 11:18am
As i said on the footloose post i agree with the FOH member at the novello that it looks unlikely that he novello will be its home.

As i also said though i wouldnt rule out the show opening there and moving if it does well since this show issnt a set in stone success like say wicked(winning the tony means nothing over here ,look at rent).

As for CM calling it a compilation musical its the same thing,he wont refer to it as a jukebox musical as they have a bad rap due to shows like good vibrations,all shook up,lennon etc but it is a jukebox show.
Its funny coz when the show first opened on broadway everyone wes refering to it as a jukebox musical but when the critics applauded it and the show did well people started to call it a compilation musical a bio musical etc,it's as if people diddnt want to call it a jukebox show because it had done well.

One thing about jersey boys,it has more swearing in than any show i have ever seen hehehehe.

The show is an amazing show though i just hope some of the broadway leads come over to launch it coz they were bloody good.

xx
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys#16
Posted: 8/30/06 at 3:51am
MPW607....Thank God..Someone in this country who loved JB as much as I did.

That is the news I have been waiting for (April 2007)

Again, I would be totally delighted to have JLY over here playing Frankie and Christian as Tommy - there are rumours on the Broadway board that JLY is going to come to London - but he has just signed up with ABC television so he may be out of theatre for a while.

I am amazed that someone who has seen it doesnt think it would last a year on the West End!!! Personally I think it will be a breath of fresh air and take London by storm, with or with JLY (preferably with!)
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys#17
Posted: 8/30/06 at 10:06am
Dont get me wrong i love this show but i just think it will have a problem finding an audience as big as it did in the states.

If a jukebox musical is gonna work in the uk it has to be silly crap like mama mia or we will rock you coz people in the uk love there big camp fub nights at the theatre.
Jersey boys is smart written,slick,smart and stands head and shoulders above any other juke box musical but people dance to abba and queen songs and a lot of people who go to see the jukebox musicals aint a clue who frankie valli is.
I think with wicked and spamalot opening to,dirty dancing having a killer advance and hairspray coming it will get lost in the overblown commercial musicals.

I pray it doesnt as it deserves to be seen.

Only 4 shows have ever really knocked me for six A chorus line,Dreamgirls,Rent and jersey boys,theese were shows that took broadway by storm yet the first 3 failed in the uk to make the same impact

I fear the 4th one will to
lifeisacabaret
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Jersey Boys#18
Posted: 8/30/06 at 3:40pm
When was Dreamgirls over here?
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys#19
Posted: 8/30/06 at 9:21pm
In the 80s

The show never played london but it had a 3 month run at an out of town theatre and was hoping for a transfer but it never got it(i only know this coz my mum went to see it and told me the story every other week how much she loved it).
RYANWOODS
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Jersey Boys#20
Posted: 9/5/06 at 5:58am
The deal Re:RSC at Delfont is that Cameron will house each year a season IN ONE OF HIS theatres. Not always The Novello. Its justy worked out that the first two years have been The Novello. The RSC are likley to go to The Wyndhams in 07 after another musical.

Jersey Boys was earmarked for there back in the Summer.
mpw607
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys#21
Posted: 9/5/06 at 6:54am
<< Jersey Boys was earmarked for there back in the Summer. >>

Ryan, where do you mean, the Novello or Wyndhams? Isn't the latter a bit small for this type of show?
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys#22
Posted: 9/5/06 at 8:34am
I've always thought that the Wyndham's was a bit small for RSC productions, perhaps CM should consider putting the 2007/8 RSC London into the Gielgud as it has hosted back to back RSC productions (by commercial producers Bill Kenwright and Thelma Holt)and have been very sucessful.

Regarding Jersey boys, the Novelllo would be a good hoem for it although it would mean that two different produciton in the Aldwych would have the same song.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys#23
Posted: 9/5/06 at 9:46am
I think the NY producers unashamedly call it a jukebox musical - like FOOTLOOSE!
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys#24
Posted: 9/5/06 at 11:18am
footloose isnt a jukebox musical, ithe songs are from the film soundtrack or are newly written for the show