Page: 1

Mary Poppins Broadway

zerodanny Profile Photozerodanny Profile Photo
zerodanny
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Mary Poppins Broadway#0
Posted: 7/18/06 at 9:30pm
Hello everyone!! I am new to BW.COM my name is Danny and I am a huge fan of Mary Poppins the Musical and I am looking forward to see it open in the US! I was wondering if anyone knows if there is going to be a Broadway Cast soundtrack...as I live in the UK it would be my only wa of hearing Ashley Brown playng the part!!!

Thanks for your help Danny
**Anything Can Happen If You Let It** SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS
princessofpower Profile Photoprincessofpower Profile Photo
princessofpower
Understudy
Understudy
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#1
Posted: 7/18/06 at 10:20pm
With YOUTUBE.COM, even if there isn't a OBC, you will see and hear her!!! hehehe!!! re: Mary Poppins Broadway
west end artist1 Profile Photowest end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#2
Posted: 7/19/06 at 7:37pm
anyone else think mary poppins is gonna do a chitty and tank on broadway?
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#3
Posted: 7/20/06 at 4:37am
Isnt the advance huge for this though? I think it will do well, for a year or so anyway. I reckon they are going to suger it up quite a lot for Broadway and make it closer to the movie. Could well see off Tarzan though.
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#4
Posted: 7/20/06 at 9:09am
From what i remember chitty had a large advance as well and it diddnt help that.Hey even Carrie had a large advance

lol
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#5
Posted: 7/20/06 at 12:34pm
I think it will do well! I will see it in November and cannot wait to see Gavin and Ashley - and I really hope there will be a cast recording! Want a recording with a 'Mary Poppins' I like!
Updated On: 7/20/06 at 12:34 PM
ThankstoPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#6
Posted: 7/20/06 at 1:05pm
Chitty isn't as beloved here in the US as Mary Poppins is. That's why Chitty tanked after a time.

Plus, there's better buzz about this while Chitty was a mehish buzz.
How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 7/23/06 at 01:05 PM
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#7
Posted: 7/23/06 at 7:24am
If they are changing the show a bit/lot for Broadway, I assume there will be a OBC recording.
VinnieTheIceman Profile PhotoVinnieTheIceman Profile Photo
VinnieTheIceman
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#8
Posted: 7/23/06 at 10:45am
You cannot compare the quality of Mary Poppins to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Poppins is a beloved show with fabulous music and a couple of great new tunes written, incredible sets, and a first rate cast. Chitty was a mess in London that curiously transferred to a huge theater in New York where it quickly died. Other than both being children's movies, this is where any comparison should end.
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#9
Posted: 7/23/06 at 3:23pm
I actually liked both shows when I saw them in London, but Mary is a class apart when you take an overall view. Although the set is big and expensive for both shows, the chitty one wasn't half as well used and wasn't half as clever as the Mary Poppins one is. And the Music for Mary Poppins is just second to none. The Orchestrartions bring to life what could otherwise be quite boring songs. I love it.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#10
Posted: 7/24/06 at 11:25am
To be honest i loved chitty with a passion!! i was very disapointed with mary poppins. Although it was a darker version i think that it could have made it soo much better, i also think it is far to long - 3 hours is a bit much. The only thing that really confused me was Marys entrance!!! she is supposed to come with the wind - not through a trap door in the floor and say i'm mary poppins (or something to that extent!

**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
Just_John Profile PhotoJust_John Profile Photo
Just_John
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#11
Posted: 7/25/06 at 12:38am
Well Chitty Chitty Bang Bang did not die, it sold fairly well usually between 70-85% in the biggest broadway theater. They advertised it in the US as a sold out hit in London. Is that not true?? And Mary Poppins will not tank, just because it is Disney.
princessofpower Profile Photoprincessofpower Profile Photo
princessofpower
Understudy
Understudy
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#12
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:39am
Chitty was completely sold out for the first year. The whole time Michael Ball was in the show, it was busy, busy, busy! Then after that, it started to become slightly less full, ie, the Upper Circle was closed, and people who bought tickets for up there were moved down to better seats!!! But it had a good run, and was a busy show! I can't speak for the second and third (and a half) year, but teh first year was def. sold out!!!
VinnieTheIceman Profile PhotoVinnieTheIceman Profile Photo
VinnieTheIceman
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#13
Posted: 7/25/06 at 7:19am
Yes, that was in London. In NYC it was a whole different story.
ThankstoPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#14
Posted: 7/25/06 at 10:57am
Chitty died a slow death in the US. It had an 'attack' the week after summer 2005, and they kept it running through Christmas to get a piece of the tourist pie (which they did...they grossed over $1,000,000 New year's week).
How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
west end artist1
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#15
Posted: 7/25/06 at 7:48pm
Chitty lost most of its budget in New York

To me Mary Poppins is another great show to look at but they aint much else going on and is far to long(it follows the awfull tradition of theatre we started doing in the 80s ,overblown comercial big budget musicals).The buzz for chitty was huge in new york as i was there working at the time,people were saying it would run for years etc etc(but broadway seem to say that about every show)
Lindsay Hameister Profile PhotoLindsay Hameister Profile Photo
Lindsay Hameister
Understudy
Understudy
re: Mary Poppins Broadway#16
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:03pm
Ashley Brown is amazing!!!! i can tell u that she wont disapoint if there is no broadway cast of her singing it, you cal always buy disneys "on the record" granted its not marry poppins tunes but she does sing on it, so it might help you to know what she sounds like, which is AMAZING!!!!
you cant fix stupid