Elphaba casted!

taboofreak! Profile Phototaboofreak! Profile Photo
taboofreak!
Swing
Swing
Elphaba casted!#0
Posted: 1/21/06 at 8:34pm
Kermit the Frog Make West End Debut

After his recent success in his latest movie ‘The Muppets Wizard of Oz’ Kermit T. Frog has decided he has a flair for the musical world.

“I’ve always been a fan,” admits Kermit. “When I was a Tadpole I used to dream of being in on the stage. I loved ‘The Wizard of Oz’ and never dreamed that one day I would be in it. I still can’t believe I became the first ever frog to play the scarecrow!”

After more than 50 years in the movie business, Kermit feels he’s ready for a change “It’s opened new barriers for me, I think now people have seen what I can really do. I’m not just the frog people that have grown up watching, attached at the hip to my co-stars, piggy, fozzy, gonzo and all the rest of the Muppets. Who I love, I really do but I need everyone to see I can do it on my own as well. I’m not just a ‘Muppet’ I’m Kermit The Frog!”

Kermit’s theatrical big break came this year, when he was offered the role of Elphaba in the new West End production of “Wicked”. A show which as been a sell-out success on Broadway and makes its way across the Atlantic to open this September.

“I was worried at first they were just trying to save on make-up. The character I play is green and with green being my natural colour, I did wonder. But Joe Mantello, the director of ‘Wicked’, Insists they want me purely for my talent. Being already green may just be an advantage for me understanding the feelings of the character and what she goes though. I really feel close to this musical as it take my famous phase 'It’s Not Easy Being Green' to another level. And I’d really like to show the world that there is a future for all those green people out there. And although the story isn’t very happy for the green person I play, it can be happy for them because I’m green, and here I am acting in a West End Musical!” Kermit says with a smile.

Although Kermit has performed on screen in musicals before, he worries whether vocally he will be able to take the strain of eight performances a week singing those belt out numbers.
“I’ve been training real hard, I struggled at first with my most powerful number ‘Defying Gravity’. It’s hard, as I have to fly and sing at the same time. But I’m getting the hang of it.”

“I don’t know where this will take me. But I’ve always considered making England my home. I hope after ‘Wicked’ there will be other musicals that wouldn’t mind having a frog in their cast. I’ve always thought I would make a good ‘Javert’ in ‘Les Miserable’ and I believe there would have been frog in the French revolution so don’t see why they would have a problem with me. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for that.”

“Wicked” Opens at the Apollo Victoria Theatre September 2006. Tickets on sale from 5th March 9.02am
Fantasmic
Swing
Swing
re: Elphaba casted!#1
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:19am
LOL, thank you for that, it made me laugh, I can just imagine Kermit singing Defying Gravity!

Wouldn't Miss Piggy make a great G(a)linda. hee hee
mad4music
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Elphaba casted!#2
Posted: 1/26/06 at 9:03pm
...wow...

....some people...

...wow....
FosseBoi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Elphaba casted!#3
Posted: 1/29/06 at 3:36am
that is SO mean! lol! I thought it had REALLY been cast!
"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line
gvendo2005 Profile Photogvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Elphaba casted!#4
Posted: 2/1/06 at 5:21pm
Did anyone else hear about "It's not easy being green" becoming the new tagline for the West End production?

lol
"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz
BSoBW3 Profile PhotoBSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Elphaba casted!#5
Posted: 2/1/06 at 8:16pm
Cast. Not casted.
The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.
west end artist
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Elphaba casted!#6
Posted: 3/11/06 at 9:27am
sorry guys but my freind is doing re writes on the script for the uk production and he says that elphaba and many other leads were cast ages ago
BrianWilsonFan
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Elphaba casted!#7
Posted: 3/11/06 at 3:04pm
'fess up then...
bohemianqueen Profile Photobohemianqueen Profile Photo
bohemianqueen
Understudy
Understudy
re: Elphaba casted!#8
Posted: 3/11/06 at 7:01pm
That's very interesting seeing as I know of 2 ppl who had recalls for Galinda this week, one for Elphaba and one for Madame Morrible, and one for Boq! I wouldn't always listen to gossip!
Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters, nothing really matters to me....any way the wind blows
BrianWilsonFan
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Elphaba casted!#9
Posted: 3/11/06 at 10:29pm
They've had Elaine Page in for recall?
Who da thunk it: - )
west end artist
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Elphaba casted!#10
Posted: 3/11/06 at 11:01pm
im only saying what ive heard from a very good frind of mine whos working on the book for wicked uk to take out some of the stuff they diddnt think would cross over well that he said weeks ago that the part of elphaba and the wizard had gone.And all of us what work in west end musicals also heard about elaine page(god i hope not just my opinion please dont shout at me).If its not true about elphaba (which i dont think will be coming from him im sad to say)i wish your freind all the best at the audition. xx

other news we have heard at partys etc

Rent is returning to the uk
Carrie the musical is having a new workshop for a possible new production since it nose dived in 88
And hairspray will make its UK debut not in the west end but a UK national tour

just stuff we keep hearing more the once
dont know how much is true(except rent coz some of our team from our show have been asked to be involved)

i hope so on all 3

lots of love
BrianWilsonFan
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Elphaba casted!#11
Posted: 3/12/06 at 6:27am
Page would spoil things for me too.

You haven't heard about Ben Vereen being signed for Wizard?
He told someone from Broadwayworld at ths stagedoor in NYC that he had signed, this was many, many weeks ago...
Jwaa
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Elphaba casted!#12
Posted: 3/13/06 at 4:32pm
CARRIE...REWORKSHOPED!!???

WAHH!!

that news excites me a hell of alot even more than knowing i have a first preview night and press night ticket for wicked!!

for the last year i hav been listening to dodgey recordings of the broadway transfer of it with linzi hately and becky buckley...and to hear that it is getting a second chance excites me greatly!!!

lets just hope they skip the song 'heaven' then i will be happy!
but some songs are awesome!!!!

sorry to go off topic but WOW...big smiles!
xxx

i fcking
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Elphaba casted!#13
Posted: 3/13/06 at 4:48pm
ummmm im a little confused because i LOVE rent so dont get me wrong if its comming back then that is GREAT news but wasnt there a big who har in the news that RENT wasnt going to be produced in the UK for at least 5 years for one reason or another? whats changed?
west end artist
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Elphaba casted!#14
Posted: 3/14/06 at 11:35am
hi there

i couldnt tell you what happened with the rent thing all i know is its happening.It was been spoke about going out on tour from the middle of this year (i know this simply coz the manager at the palace mancs said they had been approached)but then the film came out in the states and barley scraped past 30 million at the box office so he never heard out again .Now some of our band were saying they have been approached so fingers crossed i guess its gonna have a lot to do with the films performace over here in april(hope it does ok its a great film)

lots a love
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Elphaba casted!#15
Posted: 3/16/06 at 7:36pm
um, I believe the correct terminology is 'Elphaba cast.".....unless on your side of the pond you add an ed.......
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
brad3 Profile Photobrad3 Profile Photo
brad3
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Elphaba casted!#16
Posted: 3/21/06 at 3:14pm
HAHAHAHA tht made my day thnx
AshleyBrownFan123 Profile PhotoAshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Elphaba casted!#17
Posted: 3/24/06 at 8:43pm
brad3, love the Aida pic. Kermit as Elphie means Fozzie as Fiyero and Gonzo as the wizard. Piggy ad Glinda is priceless
Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch