Page: 1

anyone see Simon Callow as Count Fosco yet?

Theatreboy33 Profile PhotoTheatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
How is he? Id imagine quite different from crawford and/or ball.
amcchemist Profile Photoamcchemist Profile Photo
amcchemist
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
I haven't gotten to see him, but there was a recent review of him in WIW on the whatsonstage.com site. Unfortunately, it was not very positive.
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He looks the part, and acts the part, but sounds awfull. Yes i am accustomed to Crawford's voice in the role, but Callow is just very gruff and rough sounding, where as Fosco needs to have a softer side to be a true villian so he can attempt to seduce the audience aswell as Mariam. They also seem to be toning down the fat suit, he looked rather thin, pluss his fale nose looked really fake.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
pattifan2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He left me totally unimpressed. This part needs a great showman which he is clearly not but Michael Ball is. Didn't see him but I'll bet he was excellent.
...fragment of the day...
amcchemist Profile Photoamcchemist Profile Photo
amcchemist
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
I have to agree Pattifan that the part really needs a showman in the role. I got to see Michael Crawford and really liked him in the role. Anthony Andrews was okay, but not the strength of a singer as MC and also not quite as showy. Would have loved to have seen Michael Ball in the role for comparison. I have never had the previlege of seeing MB perform, but I gather from reading about him in other roles as well as Fosco that he is quite good. Would have been very interesting I think. May yet see him on Broadway if the opportunity arises.

I'm kind of surprised that Callow was cast if, as one review states, he can't sing. Is his singing really that bad? It would be one thing if the role had more spoken aspect to it, but you really need a showman and a good singer as well to pull it off.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Below is an article about how Simon Callow prepared for the role and it touchs on his singing (or lack of) SOunds like if he'd said yes to being in the OLC, the role would have been written very differently from the begining
The Telegraph

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Theatreboy33 Profile PhotoTheatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Well, good singer or not, I always do love reading this man's writing about his own work. So honest. Makes me want to attend despite the singing. Thanks for the link.

ps--anyone ever read "Being an Actor?" by Callow? Fantastic book
PaigeByPaige
Stand-by
Stand-by
I saw Anthony Andrews as Count Fosco and he was excellent. Simon Callow is a real good actor. His singing voice in the "Phantom" movie was ok
All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists. - Stephen Sondheim