Page: 1

Les Miserables. New songs at the theatre??

Gea
Swing
Swing
Hello!

I saw Les Miserables for the first time this past august and I found it amazing!! I've never heard its songs before, but now it has become one of my favourite musicals...

But I have a question: after the show I bought the Original Cast Recording double CD, but I miss some of the songs that I remember were performed at the theatre (especially some Javert's songs). Could you tell me which were these songs and where I can find them??, maybe I'm wrong and I remember bad, but I'm pretty sure that some of the songs don't appear in the double CD. Are there new songs in the theatre performance? Could you help me?? Thank you very much and forgive my English mistakes, I'm from Barcelona!!
Emilie
Swing
Swing
Technically they're pretty much the same, but there is always something different in each production to make the story more reasonable/understandable. For example, you'll find that "Little People" in the recording is cut shorter when it is actually performed. Also you can't find "The well scene"(between "Master of the House" and "Thenardier Waltz") in the original recording.

As regards to Javert, I don't think there are "new songs" in the actual performance except the scene between "Look Down" and "Stars." He sang several lines but it is not really a "song". And there is no way you can get them except illegal bootlegs.

Hope this helps.
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As for Javert's songs, I found the new arrangement for "Stars" a great deal different from the original. In the original London cast cd the song ends as it begins: very quietly and gently, but the later arrangement gave the song a powerhouse ending, the long higher note "...this I swear by the staaaaaars!". And the change in the arrangement made it sound (at least to me) like a totally different song.
Gea
Swing
Swing
Thank you very much for your replies! now I understand it better, maybe the "songs" that I remember weren't exactly "songs", as you said perhaps they only were arrengements to make the plot clearer. It's just that I liked a lot how Javert's songs sounded in the theatre and maybe I have a bad recall of them, and what I miss are only a few sentences...At least now I'm not longer worried because I know that my CD is complete :) Thank you!
rockfenris2005
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Ahhh, the evolution of Lays Miseraarblur re: Les Miserables. New songs at the theatre??

You should pick up the Original French Concept Album (1980) for a fascinating look at the early stages of L.M. For instance, the entire Prologue is missing: and the spirit of the story is presented rather than the story itself (presumably because it's Frances Bible and they all know it).

On my Own is actually, with a dark variation, Fantine's original I Dreamed a Dream number. She still has that song, but less dynamic and theatrical, during the scene with Lovely Ladies (which is only presented as one verse on the French CD). Eponine has two incredible songs that didn't survive into the English incarnation. Also, getting to the London CD, Little People and I Saw him Once weren't retained in any further productions. It was in the Barbican season, but not at the Palace: and not on any other recordings made since

Little People was drastically cut and shifted to Act Two: and I Saw him Once was cut with an extension of In my Life (which is a shame: because it's a pretty tune). Stars has a more powerful ending: and the arrangements are more full and gorier on later recordings / productions. The original London sounds like a demo (and an unlistenable one at that. It's the worst of the recordings I have).

The Well scene is not on the OCR: as well as some other things I've been told (there was a really good site around, years ago, that had all the lyrics to cut songs, and stuff by the Shenton guy who was the original lyricist: but Cameron Mackintosh shut it down). Lyrics have constantly changed (mostly in recitative sections) over time.. but it'ds really not noticeable unless you're a diehard LM fan.

The evolution is fascinating: but you need a deep wallet and ten years experience with the show to notice them all

Gea
Swing
Swing
Rockfenris2005, thank you for your review!! I've just discovered this show, but now I know that I have a lot of things to learn about it!. By the moment I'm listening the London Cast Recording again and again, so I can't compare it with other recordings like you :) hopefully I'll be able to do it soon if I find more CD's, I'm completly amazed by Les Miserables.

Thank you for the information!
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Try the Complete Symphonic Recording, which should have all the music on - including around a quarter of an hours worth of music that was cut about five years ago. The cast isn't the best, but if you want the whole thing (including the 'in-between' bits!) that's the recording to buy.

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Get the 10th Anniversary cd, that's the best cast there is. Definitely best singers on that one. Ruthie Henshall as Fantine, Colm Wilkinson as Valjean, Michael Ball as Marius, Philip Quast as Javert...
rockfenris2005
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

You know it's a toughy:

If I had a gun to my head, I STILL couldn't pick between TAC and The Complete Symphonic. London's most certainly out of the picture: and I've never heard Broadway.

Actually, I'd go with the French Concept

For some reason I love that one the most

P.S.

Glad to be of help to you Gea :)