The Phantom of the Opera Thread - The Opera Gets A 2013/14 Cast!

ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's been confirmed that the 25th Anniversary celebrations of The Phantom of the Opera will include a 25th anniversary concert in October of this year.

The Phantom of the Opera Thread - The Opera Gets A 2013/14 Cast!

Ramin Karimloo confirmed on Twitter that he will be appearing as The Phantom in the concert.

Further casting/ticket/venue info expected soon.

Updated On: 7/26/13 at 07:07 PM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
if it is in October, I be surprised if this isn't held again in the 02, so many excellent things could be done and great former stars here in the uk and from Aboard

This will be just the right time to get the CD and DVD on the shelves.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just can't help thinking that they've cast the wrong man :/
Updated On: 3/18/11 at 07:22 PM
tenorboyo Profile Phototenorboyo Profile Photo
tenorboyo
Stand-by
Stand-by
Could they NOT, please?????
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The only thing that excites me about the prospects of the O2, is a MASSIVE chandelier coming smashing down upon the arena!! This could be fantastic if they staged it more like the Vegas show, than the concert style they used for Les Mis!!
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What they did at the Olivier Awards was a brilliant example of how a concert could look. Onstage orchestra, backdrops, semi-staged.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The fact that they've cast Ramin is the only reason that would make me even vaguely consider going to see this.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
The Scorpion
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I'm not so thrilled about the casting of Karimloo myself, having never been in love with his Phantom, but I suppose it will attract the fangirl audience.

Would Phantom even work as a concert? As someone who finds watching the concert versions of Les Mis fairly boring, despite liking that show, I imagine watching Phantom as a concert could prove to be even more tedious given that it's not an ensemble show like Les Mis.

Glad they're doing something to mark the anniversary though.
tenorboyo Profile Phototenorboyo Profile Photo
tenorboyo
Stand-by
Stand-by
a cake with some candles would suffice, LOL
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom can work beautifully as a concert as long as the staging is done properly, there isn't a ton of people sitting on stage waiting their turn, and they get to wear head mics so they are singing at each other and not into mic stands.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
From an article on Cameron Mackintosh in the Independent on Sunday today:

"2011 His first new musical in more than a decade, Betty Blue Eyes, opens. Plans celebration of Phantom's 25th anniversary in October."

So, it looks like Mackintosh will be involved to some extent, but one has to wonder why he hasn't been so openly excited about this venture as the Les Misérables concert. I wonder what his working relationship with Andrew is like at the moment? Especially with Andrew going it alone in the last decade, in particular with things like Love Never Dies.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The latest news from the Whatsonstage message boards is that the concert is to be held at the Royal Albert Hall and work is currently underway to adapt Maria Bjornson's designs for the space.

I think the ROH is the perfect venue - very grand etc, great acoustics, and it would look great in there - it's not outsized, like Les Mis and the O2.

The only thing I'm worried about is how few tickets there will be. Maybe there will be more than one performance?
Updated On: 3/23/11 at 03:36 PM
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Much better venue, makes it feel more of a westend celebration, rather than being out at the O2.
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is there actually gonna be a CD/DVD.
Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd love a new CD, but my guess is they would just issue a CD from the concert, kill 2 birds with one stone.

I also would not be at all surprised if they cast the concert with Ramin, Sierra and Joseph just so they could tie in that CD/DVD with the recording of LND.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"The fact that they've cast Ramin is the only reason that would make me even vaguely consider going to see this."

Isn't it funny how different peoples opinions are. This is one of the main reason I would not want to see this!
As for a new CD, let's be fair, we all want it (not with Ramin, but ya know what I'm saying) but I doubt it'll happen - Andrew's probably sparing his pennies to write Passion 2 - Fosca Never Dies.
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He really needs to get past this bee in his bonnet about the London Phantom recording being the best selling cast album of all time or something like that and just put out a new CD. But I too am not the biggest Ramin fan. Back in the day Phantoms had something special about their voice that made it seem unique somehow. Ramin while a great singer just doesn't have it. and JOJ goes way overboard with the screaming. But it is all a matter of taste. as for Phantoms that have played the role in the last 10 years, I have always been partial to the US phantoms. Recently the London ones have been singing it more 'poppy'. But if you ask the average fan who they would like the response is usually from the more recent crop.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It would be awesome if we finally got a complete recording of The Phantom of the Opera, but I'm thinking the concert will probably be abridged so there goes that. Meanwhile I'm fairly content with the Australian soundboard.
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Quick question, If they were to do a filming of the stage version to release on DVD, would you all prefer a filming of the London, Broadway or Vegas version?
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd probably prefer London, but it would be neat if they got a cast together and filmed the full show on the Vegas set.
ThankstoPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It is a crime that there is not an Australian recording.
How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
My Oh My Profile PhotoMy Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The fact they are looking into adapting Maria's designs at all for a concert tells me it's going to be more than just a concert, which could work well for Phantom.

The show certainly deserves the festivities and I'm very glad (although not at all surprised) that they are presenting as it with the original production in mind and not a lackluster new production that aims to shun everything about the original, acclaimed version being celebrated.
Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"
Would Phantom even work as a concert? As someone who finds watching the concert versions of Les Mis fairly boring, despite liking that show, I imagine watching Phantom as a concert could prove to be even more tedious given that it's not an ensemble show like Les Mis."

Exactly how I feel. (Don;t get me started at how useless I find the fact that we have TWO Miz concerts). I'm sick of this habit of filming concert versions of musicals, I suppose cuz they feel it's less likely to hurt the original still running show--though at this point I doubt a Phantom fully staged live DVD could... (And yes as a huge Sondheim fan I have the same complaint with this glut of Sondheim concert productions we've been getting for a while...)
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm wondering if it is not more cost effective to film a concert rather than the stage version as it pertains to royalties. Didn't I read somewhere that things like original direction is also coppyrighted? so that would be more royalties to shill out.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Get Michael Crawford in as Madame Giry.
Bless him, he did a lot to get the show up and running. Then, so did I!