Page: 1

The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#1
Posted: 8/12/10 at 7:14pm
Confirmed that Fela is closing on 2nd January, what else will be going?

Next To Normal
In The Heights
American Idiot
La Cage Aux Follies
Memphis
Elf
Spiderman

Grammy Award winner Patti LaBelle, who has appeared on Broadway in three self-titled concerts, will return to the New York stage in September.

The singing actress will succeed Tony winner Lillias White in the role of Fela's mother, Funmilayo Anikulapo-Kuti, beginning Sept. 14. She will stay with the production through its closing on Jan. 2, 2011. (White, who was Tony-nominated for her work, will play her final performance Sept. 12.)

"After seeing the show, I was struck by the choreography and work of Bill T. Jones, and the passion and joy that overflows from the stage," LaBelle said in a statement. "Fela's mother, Funmilayo, was a strong, truly inspiring woman, and I am so privileged to be able to pay tribute to her on the Broadway stage."
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#2
Posted: 8/12/10 at 7:18pm
There is no way Spiderman will close in January if it opens in November. It doesn't matter what the reviews say, it's Spiderman.

Memphis is going Nowhere soon either I wouldn't have thought, it's numbers have been great since the Tony Awards
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#2
Posted: 8/12/10 at 7:23pm
Interesting Mark, glad you agree with me that 5 of the shows on my list will close.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#3
Posted: 8/12/10 at 7:29pm
Haha, well actually, the others I am not sure about. They are all pretty much borderline. Elf will definitely close (it is a limited season). La Cage/In the Heights/Idiot need to keep hitting the numbers they currently are, but that is gonna be so difficult come Winter.

I think (and hope) next to normal is safe. It is making its running costs weekly and also has the producer of Wicked behind it, who can afford to have afew dry weeks as long as the other weeks do well.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#4
Posted: 8/13/10 at 5:56am
'Spiderman' could close in previews, on opening night or just after- as is the tradition on Broadway!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#4
Posted: 8/13/10 at 5:56am
'Spiderman' could close in previews, on opening night or just after- as is the tradition on Broadway!
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#6
Posted: 8/13/10 at 11:12pm
Next To Normal is doing fine. If anything they are making money at this point. Do keep in mind that they have not only recouped but have been able to cover their overhead week in and week out without any problem. I really don't see them in any danger.

I just read an article on the mainpaige of Broadwyaworld that does make me thing that American Idiot is in trouble if they are in prepairation of doing the kind of promo that they are about to do on 13th september. They are going to be performing at The New York Jets (USA football) first home game of the season. Football is played on Sundays with one game for the national coverage on Monday nights. That is the game that the Jets are playing. With the entire country watching on national TV it actually might be some good promo for them. But, never have I heard of a band playing Halftime of a football game that wasn't the Superbowl championship game. Interesting to see how this one should end up.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
philitalia Profile Photophilitalia Profile Photo
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#7
Posted: 8/14/10 at 2:08am
N2N and La Cage seem to be doing OK.
Million Dollar Quartet will be out and there are a lot of rumours about In the heights.
West Side Story could be out. Didn't they replace a part of the orchestra with a synthesizer ? A lot of talk of a new show coming into the Palace.
Spiderman ... well, there's not that much of buzz going on. I don't know how ticketsales are going.
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#8
Posted: 8/14/10 at 3:04am
Re West Side - five of the string players were let go, and were replaced by a keyboard. Producers of Priscilla is rumoured to be looking at the Palace - imagine that 10 foot stiletto on the marquee in Times Square!!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#9
Posted: 9/17/10 at 9:18am
The Broadway blood-bath goes on,

Already confirmed to close is;

Elf
Fela
West Side Story
Driving Miss Daisy
A Man of Free Colour
A Life in Theatre
The Pee-Wee Herman Show
Time Stand Still
Woman on a Verge of a Nervous
Promises, promises

Rumoured to Close;

Next to Normal
In The Heights
American Idiot
Million Dollar Quartet

Possible;

La cage Aux Follies
Memphis
Spiderman

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#10
Posted: 9/17/10 at 9:21am
A lot of those are limited season so hardly come into what you call the blood bath! Not really fair to include the likes of 'Daisy', 'Pee Wee' etc etc.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#11
Posted: 9/17/10 at 9:31am
OK
Im sorry but grrrrr
Phantom, i love you, but stop been so dramatic love

January ALWAYS has a many shows close, its a natural cycle on Broadway that going in to a dead season some shows will not sustain so they close. It's not a blood bath etc, its just Broadway

Also as Mamma points out many of the shows you are listing are limited runs.

Spiderman is not going to close that early and is not rumoured to except for silly people who read Reidel and think because the show has had a troubled production means its doomed (Most shows go through the same kinda problems that Spiderman have they just are not as publicised)
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#12
Posted: 9/17/10 at 9:35am
'Elf' is limited season as is 'A Life In The Theatre'!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#13
Posted: 9/17/10 at 9:44am
Thank God we don't have theatrical seasons in London, POL would be slitting his wrists almost weekly!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#14
Posted: 9/17/10 at 10:38am
'Next To Normal' closes Jan 2nd 2011.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#15
Posted: 9/17/10 at 11:23am
I wish London had a system like New York. That would have meant Grease closing in January, new show in by April for awards.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#16
Posted: 9/17/10 at 11:30am
N2N has had a great run, it defied all the odds, an original musical with a tough subject matter that did so so well. They have to be proud and they are gonna do well on tour.

It's strange how they have not announced yet, just on a flyer that got sent out.

Hedwig is waiting for that theatre (love Hedwig)
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway New Year Massacre Starts#17
Posted: 9/17/10 at 2:59pm
Or January 16th according to the tele charge. It is true January 02nd, I had a flyer land on my door mat yesterday.

I am being a tad dramatic , but it is amazing how Broadway has a clear out every January, this year it was 'Shrek', 'Superior Donuts', 'Ragtime', Finnan's Rainbow, and 'Bye Bye Birdie' everyone of those productions made a huge loss.

Last year it was a complete massacre with 'Boeing - Boeing', 'Hairspray', 'Young Frankenstein', 'Gypsy', 'Grease', '13', 'Spamalot' and 'Spring Awakening'.

Mark I agree with you London theatre is inferior to New York when it comes to staging new productions, it is great on Broadway when in March/April and October/November you have new productions open, London tends to be more sporadic and limited.