Page: 1

For/Not Shows Coming Across The Atlantic Thread

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thought I have a look what Broadway musicals that might come over and look at key-points in a objective way for/not reasons for them to come over. What do you think will come over? Have I missed any key-points? Are any of my key-points wrong?

The Addams Family

For; Family friendly show - popular franchise - strong cast - strong weekly gross.

Not; Hammered by critics - lack of awards - bickering with main leads - expensive to put on.

American Idiot

For; Popular with younger audience - loved by critics - Won Tony's - music done by well known band.

Not; Hard show to find target audience, who would ordinarily go to theatre - tailing off on grosses.

Come Fly Away

For; Good reviews - music based on legendary musician - would be popular with older audience.

Not; Recent revival on musician flopped - grosses in free fall - lack of awards.

In The Heights

For; Good reviews - Tony for best musical and others - Steady strong weekly audience - inexpensive set.

Not; Story based in New York, might not find its audience - run for a while, might missed its momentum to transfer.

Memphis

For; Tony for best musical and others - strong reviews - steady gross.

Not; Expensive to produce - would it find a UK audience.

Next to Normal

For; Excellent reviews - won Tony's - Pulitzer prize - basic set and small cast, cheap to produce.

Not; Morbid story - run for a while now, might missed its momentum to transfer.

Million Dollar Quartet

For; Liked by critics - jukebox musicals seem to find a UK audience - 1 Tony.

Not; Might have too many jukebox musicals already.

Promises, promises

For; Very strong weekly grosses - couple of Tony's - Strong cast.

Not; Awful reviews - Not a known show in London - Set in New York, so maybe iconic of New York - expensive to put on.

Rock of Ages

For; Very good reviews - steady weekly gross - jukebox musicals popular in London- popular with younger audiences.

Not; Another jukebox musical, London becoming saturated - Hard show to find target audience, who would ordinarily go to theatre.

South Pacific

For; Legendary classic musical - Stunning revival loved by critics - multi Tony winner.

Not; Target audience dying off - recent National Theatre production.

West Side Story

For; Legendary classic musical - strong reviews.

Not; Target audience dying off - recent limited engagement at Sadler Wells.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Although its closed now, I'd still like to see it:
9 to 5 - The Musical
For: Fantatsic score, Ability to do well*, and Dolly Parton could attract people in!
Not: Failed On Bway, Bad reviews, Bad grosss, didn't recoup.

* With a new book
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
promises, promises - music is not to everyones taste
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Addams/Promises should definitely be on the cards. I think Promises would only transfer if Kristen could open it though.

Is Memphis really all that expensive to produce? I wouldn't think it would be any more expensive than any other musical?

Im really hoping to see ROA announce openinging any time soon. Think it will do very well.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Reading through the initial post and others' comments, a few things occurred to me, so here are a few random notes LOL:

POL - I don't agree that Next To Normal is "morbid". It's dark, serious and powerful - but I think it's one of the most emotionally uplifting shows I've seen. It demonstrates how people can sink down to the depths of despair and still come out the other side.

Also, I'm not sure the fact that certain shows are set in New York is an argument against them being able to transfer across the Atlantic. Probably 90% of all the musicals ever written are set in the USA (as it's historically an American art form).

Matt - Burt Bacharach is one of the biggest-selling pop songwriters of all time. So, though as with any show the music will not be of everyone's taste, his music is loved by more people than most.

And talking of music not being to everyone's taste - I listened to five songs from 9 To 5 and thought they were horrendous LOL. I was in New York twice during its run and could not force myself to go and see it. I don't like Dolly Parton, I'm afraid, as a singer or a songwriter (though I am a BIG fan of Country music in general).

And finally.......I'm not even sure if trying to apply logic to an analysis of what may or may not transfer will work. For example, Shrek did not win any Tonys (apart from Best Costumes), received mixed reviews at best and was a flop on Broadway yet it's still coming over. On the other hand, The Light In The Piazza received positive reviews, won 5 Tonys (including Best Score) and ran for 15 months (a pretty decent run for Lincoln Center which almost always has limited engagements) and has still not made it to the West End. I think the process of trans-Atlantic transfers is a very un-exact science!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 7/13/10 at 07:58 AM
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matt: Music being to EVERYONES taste isnt a valid point, every individual has personal taste, the music of Promises is widely loved, but even if it wasnt known, it would still find it's fan base as every musical does (even shows that dont have HUGE fan bases, has some sort), I dont think your personal dislike of a music genre is reason enough for you to justify the public will not enjoy the music.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
POL N2N Morbid story, bit harsh, if by morbid you mean challenging and thought proviking then OK.

AI Grosses are not tailing off, its taking around 700 grand a week and is pretty steady. If it was not in such a large theatre (which it really does not need to be) it would be at capacity.

Addams - Is a mess, end of story lol

Memphis - I really dont think it would find an audience here

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
^^Conaries agree with your point, Matt point was indeed subjective, but a good try.

Jamie, your points on 9-5 your negatives outweight the positives, but you are right with the book, indeed the music is quite good. Expenxsive show to put on.

Mark, Memphis has a very big moving set and cast, you probably struggle to get this down to a budget performance like legally Blonde.

Bob & SADM, N2N, morbid not in a negative way, still a very good show. Still have to balance out the nots for this show as well.

SADM, just checked the weekly grosses for AI, you are spot on still doing good business, despite being only 2/3 full, which I looked at.

Updated On: 7/13/10 at 10:36 AM
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh I didn't realise Memphis was such a big production show with regards to set. Don't forget that Legally on Broadway was MASSIVE! If that can be scaled to what it has been then surely Memphis could be.

I think the success of Blonde gives a bit of hope for 9 to 5 (which I personally thought was fantastic). If anyone can make the show work, it's Sonia Friedman. I'd love to see her take on 9 to 5.

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark, I don't agree the book for Legally Blonde is quiet good, with the odd flaws, but 9-5 as Jamie pointed out is unsalvageable. The rest you can get round like music/lyrics, acting, but if the book is bad the show is bad.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next to Normal would be good at the National or Donmar. The subject matter makes it risky to produce for the West End.

Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hmm, well when I saw 9 to 5 I went having read quite a lot of negative reviews, and thought you know what, I am just going to go and enjoy it for what it is. I ended up liking it so much more than I thought I would. For me it just worked on the same level as Legally/Hairspray/Sister Act as a purely fun time at the theatre. I know it isn't to everybody's taste but I did really like it.

Im still hoping we get Xanadu though :P
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought the book for Legally Blonde was pretty much utter drivel lol, kept alive by a good (though not great) Larry O'Keefe score (his score for Bat Boy is far superior).
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Of all the shows I think Rock of Ages would have the best shot in the West End at this particular point in time.

There seems to be no appetite for a serious musical right now which would rule out the brilliant N2N except, as someone noted, for the National.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I agree with Mallardo, Rock of Ages has the best chance of working in the UK at the moment. People may yawn about having yet another jukebox musical clogging up the west end, but i reckon for nostalgia purposes this one has legs.
next2normalfanatic
Swing
Swing
POL - American Idiot did receive two Tonys - for sound design and lighting design. Not for acting, not for musical, not for choreography. It has no plot (and the critics have said as much), and relies solely on the Green Day concert atmosphere to succeed. If the musical had the exact same songs, exact same words -- if it was written by any band OTHER than Green Day, it would be a HUGE flop.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I dont agree at all
It's plot is basic but it's a rock opera, most Opera's follow the same patten
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree with AI comments, not a fan of Green Day, but5 thought the show worked really well on stage. It is a show that strikes me, you need the theatre sold out or near to create a atmosphere.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had never even heard of Green Day before booking to see the show and I was totally blown away by it. The songs are astonishing. Obviously the name Green Day draws an audience from fans of the band but the show works because it works not because of who wrote the songs. And music that incredible will still be incredible irrespective of who wrote it.
I also don't agree that the plot is that weak - I've seen shows with far weaker plots. And it has a very powerful emotional core that drives the show. How it did not win the Tony for Best Musical still baffles me.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not completely blown away with AI as a show passe, but thought the production was stonking.
theeatah Profile Phototheeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I hope Promises, Promises comes to London, but not this production. "I Say A Little Prayer" and "A House Is Not A Home" make no sense in the show, and I doubt they'd drop them if it came over. If they have to give Fran more numbers, I could see "Are You There With Another Girl?" working. Anyway...

I'd love to hear Gavin Creel sing the score. Maybe Gemma Arterton could play Fran, if she's a good enough singer. Not box office names, I know, but perhaps if it were a Menier production...
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I also disagree in principle with inserting two extra songs into the score that do not belong there (especially as I think it's a very strong score anyway). But I also have to admit that listening to Kristin singing A House Is Not A Home was worth the price of a ticket alone!
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Promises Promises I think would struggle here without a name in the lead roles, Shrek's different as it's a popular title and Dreamworks want the show to be as successful as the Disney stage musicals hence the reworked US tour and I expect therw will be more changes before they hit London.

How to Succeed in Business if it takes off on Broadway will get a London transfer if Daniel Radcliffe transfers as well.