Page: 1

Spamalot UK Tour - (Well Whats Left Of It!) Review

Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Spamalot UK Tour - (Well Whats Left Of It!) Review

I Quite Liked Spamalot in town, so i decided at 11pm last night to trot up to Glasgow and catch the tour this afternoon...

First Up, The Cast.
Having not having high expectations Hayley Tamaddon was very good as Lady Of The Lake..Obvs a lot of vocal licks and riffs missing that Hannah Waddingham put in, but she was good through the show.
Todd Carty was also better than expected, not vocally the best but was doing the best he could. Marcus Brigstoke was average at best of times but the audience seemed to like him.
Once again Simon Lipkin stood out as the best in the cast both vocally and in his four characters.

Now for the not so good.
With using the same artwork of the London production, i was expecting at least a scaled down production..yeh it wasn't quite like that.
The Brand New Set & Costume designs are quite possibly the most horrendous designs i've seen in a Loooooong time! Very Kenwright and VERY VERY VERY Cardboard like and static thru out with teeny bits flew in here and there.
On the (naff quality) attached picture...the frame upstage was flew out and revealed, For the bigger production numbers(term used merely metaphorical with the cast of 12) they used they used the same set both times which was a bit bizarre and very amateurish in parts..the band were showcased when it was flown.

With only 12 in the cast, the production numbers were very lacklustre with only two backing dancers in Knights Of The Round Table and bright side of life - it all felt a little low key and a tad flat.

Theyve cut loads from its original run time, it came down between 4:20 and 4:30 (starting at 2:30pm) less interval its run time was well under two hours...first half was 40 mins - lot of comments in the interval how short it was. Didnt like the complete renovation of You Wont succeed in showbiz...theyve cut the jewish theme completely and its now "If you dont have any stars"...featuring Susan Boyle, Ozzy Osbourne, Simon Cowell and other names....the new lyrics were balls and it didnt flow at all - felt quite sorry for the guy singing them to be honest.

The Sound was ok but there was a few bits of feedback here and there which should be aired out.

Overall i enjoyed the show, the cast were pretty good and certainly made up for the hideous design...catch it if you can
x

The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
Updated On: 6/16/10 at 04:15 PM
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is making a stop in Dublin next may I believe along with other UK tours including the sound of music. Are these two shows both worth seeing?
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Spamalot is certainly worth seeing. Yes, the set is a bit naff but you don't see a show to come out humming the set. It's still a hugely emjoyable show and the ensemble cast are superb.

I saw it in Wimbledon and Cardiff and will be going again when it gets to Swansea in February.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The photo you have taken looks like one of those kids pop out books, hope the set in real life does not look like a pop out set!!

"This is making a stop in Dublin next may I believe along with other UK tours including the sound of music. Are these two shows both worth seeing?"

Considering the amount of shows that get to Dublin from the West End, yes definitely, beggars cannot be choosers.