MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Football Blues#1
Posted: 6/10/10 at 11:26am
The Stage

*West End braced for World Cup penalties*
West End theatres are bracing themselves for a fall in ticket sales of as much as 20% over the next month, with the football World Cup expected to seriously dent audience numbers.
Producers, venue owners and ticket agents are preparing for an especially tough period during June, when England will play at least three games - all of which clash with theatre performances.
In 2006, the last time a football World Cup was held, audiences in the West End dropped by 17%, 20%, 14% and 0.04% in the four weeks that England were involved in the tournament, compared with the previous year when there had been no World Cup.
In 2007, these weeks returned to pre-World Cup levels.

This yearís fixtures are also less kind to theatre than those in 2006. Then, England played only two games on a Friday or Saturday evening in their run-up to the quarter-finals of the tournament. This year, if England reach the same stage, the team will have played at least three, and probably four, matches on Friday or Saturday nights. If they reach the final, they could play as many as five games during these peak theatre slots.

Nimax Theatres chief executive and Society of London Theatre president Nica Burns said that theatre producers 'dread' the World Cup. 'Itís 64 matches in 31 days, which is an awful lot of men and quite a lot of women glued to their TV sets. On a personal basis, certainly in terms of my theatres and productions, Iím braced for it'.

Andrew Peterson, managing director of West End Theatre Bookings, said he also expected the World Cup to impact on sales, warning the better England do, the worse it will be. He said: 'It does very much depend on the fortunes of the England football team. The further they progress, the further the country gets caught up in England World Cup fever, and I think if they do manage to progress to the semi-finals, then whatever days precede that and the day of the game will be massively affected. The most significant impact we saw was during Euro 96, but that was a tournament that was in this country and was a tournament England did well at'.
Peterson said last minute sales were likely to be the worst affected and the event could also affect tourists. 'Itís not just the day of the games, If there are celebrations around Trafalgar Square, I think some of the tourists might be a little reluctant to venture out'.
Burns said she expected some shows to be more resilient than others, with productions such as 'Legally Blonde' possibly benefiting from female audiences wanting to avoid the World Cup.
Both she and Peterson added it had already been a 'tough' few weeks for ticket sales, with disruption due to the general election and the volcanic ash cloud but they both expected sales to pick up after the World Cup.
'Weíll do what we always do, which is weather it, but itís been hard', said Burns.

The FIFA World Cup runs from June 11 to July 11.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Football Blues#2
Posted: 6/10/10 at 11:28am
GOD!, I cant tell you how much I hate football and I sincerely hope England are out in the first game, if thats possible!

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Football Blues#2
Posted: 6/10/10 at 11:40am
My God, Mama - out tastes finally converge! LOL I HATE football with a serious vengeance. (And I love sport generally - just find soccer to be as exciting as watching paint dry.) Thanks God I've got Sky TV so I can watch something else during the next month - especially as I only have one theatre visit booked for that period.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Football Blues#3
Posted: 6/10/10 at 1:07pm

...and what's gonna happen when the bloody Olympics arrive in 2 years???

West End Football Blues

chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
West End Football Blues#4
Posted: 6/10/10 at 1:13pm
urgh, This time every world cup I just want to leave the country for a month or so!! Why does England feel the need to descend into madness and stupidity for a GAME?!

Oh, and LOVE the Olympics pic Mama!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Football Blues#5
Posted: 6/10/10 at 1:17pm
I was gonna ask you where would you like to go BUT its the WORLD cup, it will be every bloody where! -minus the violence!!!
Updated On: 6/10/10 at 01:17 PM
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
West End Football Blues#6
Posted: 6/10/10 at 2:33pm
ugh I'm with you on this, HATE football with a passion, think it's partly being Welsh, we don't understand round balls West End Football Blues

On the plus side,and a purely selfish note, when I'm in London week after next TKTS might have a few more shows than they ususally might,
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Football Blues#7
Posted: 6/10/10 at 2:38pm
Agree with Football, so overated! The Olympics however I cant wait for!! Will be seeing loads of sports!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Football Blues#8
Posted: 6/10/10 at 2:38pm
Agree with Football, so overated! The Olympics however I cant wait for!! Will be seeing loads of sports!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Football Blues#9
Posted: 6/10/10 at 3:13pm
"I sincerely hope England are out in the first game, if thats possible!"

We're playing the US in the first game so it isn't possible!!!
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
West End Football Blues#10
Posted: 6/11/10 at 4:14am
I always find it odd when the whole world stops for football. Our office is taking us all the the pub next week when England play in the afternoon. I couldn't really give a **** but was told i couldn't stay in the office as it was work outing.

What would happen if i wanted to watch a bit of tennis or even go and see a show? I bet they wouldn't let me out of the office for that.
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Football Blues#11
Posted: 6/11/10 at 7:42am
Wow! I'm shocked. Come on guys get in to the spirit of it and embrace the unification of our Country and cheer the lads on. I love the World Cup and fully intend to be downing pints tomorrow and singing songs and generally making a tit of myself It's all good fun. The Olympics will mean me moving to London for a while. I used to be a pretty high competitive gymnast a few years back so the chance at seeing the Olympic stage is too good to miss. Mamma i'll buy you a pie at half time West End Football Blues x
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Football Blues#12
Posted: 6/11/10 at 8:27am
Even if I could bear to suffer more than ten seconds of soccer, I certainly wouldn't be cheering ENGLAND on! LOL

The Olympics, however, I will enjoy - at least there are a number of sports there I like to watch (tennis, athletics, etc.) and I will certainly support GB. But I won't even consider being in London during the Olympics even if there's something at a theatre I want to see - it will be a nightmare of overcrowding. I'll stick to the telly.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Football Blues#13
Posted: 6/11/10 at 10:53am
"Our office is taking us all to the pub next week when England play in the afternoon."

Mine too!

As I work in an alpha-male environment no-one is bothered. But if this had been suggested at the company where I used to work where there were lots of women, this idea would have been torn to shreds. So much for diversity in the work place.
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
West End Football Blues#14
Posted: 6/11/10 at 12:38pm
ugh I'm with you on this, HATE football with a passion, think it's partly being Welsh, we don't understand round balls

Ha. Speak for yourself, I fully understand the game with the round ball - which is why I think it is incredibly dull. I love other sports - I'm actually a sports obsessive, but I just can not stand football.

As much as I would like to be really fed up and annoyed with the World Cup (I am), I can't be annoyed out loud, because I know exactly how I am when the Rugby World Cup is on. I really can't criticize.
Updated On: 6/11/10 at 12:38 PM
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End Football Blues#15
Posted: 6/11/10 at 5:56pm
Good time to hit the TKTS booth, methinks.