Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Imagine This -Reborn#1
Posted: 5/6/10 at 4:29am

Just got this press release to share:

Imagine This -Reborn
PBS BRINGS COMPELLING LONDON MUSICAL, IMAGINE THIS, A STORY ABOUT FINDING
HOPE AND OPTIMISM IN THE FACE OF HUMAN EVIL, TO DVD AND CD MAY 4

This Summer, PBS will bring the emotionally provoking, memorable score of the London musical 'Imagine This' to DVD and CD.
Scheduled to hit the street on May 4th, this fascinating and inspiring story tells of
the misfortunes and triumphs faced by occupants of the Jewish Ghetto in
Warsaw during the Holocaust.

'Imagine This'
'Imagine This' is a compelling original musical — a personal journey
through one of the most devastating periods of world history, and, above all, it
is a story of hope, where laughter rises above tears, where freedom and
resistance are found through imagination, and where love knows no boundaries.

The setting: The Warsaw Ghetto, Poland, 1942. A group of actors struggles
to keep the dream of freedom and the will to resist alive among the
prisoners of the ghetto by performing the epic tale of “Masada,” the ancient
Judean mountain where, over 2,000 years ago, a small band of courageous rebels
held 10,000 Roman soldiers at bay.

In this recording of a live performance in London's West End, 'Imagine This' speaks to the strength of the human spirit; to man’s determination to survive in the face of hatred and evil; his quest to be free under the fist of oppression; and to love in a world where love seems impossible.

DVD Bonus features include:
• Bonus songs: “Salome’s Lament” and “No More”
• Printable educational materials
• A 35-minute panel discussion, hosted by author Neal Gabler, including
cast members, the show’s director, and Holocaust scholar Thane Rosenbaum

The CD Track will include the following songs:

1 The Last Day of Summer
2 Imagine This
3 Masada Prologue / Rufus's Letter to Caesar
4 When He Looked In My Eyes / Salome's Lament
5 No More
6 Rebel's Prayer / Masada
7 Hail
8 I Am The Dove
9 Far From Here, Far From Now
10 To Touch A Cloud
11 The Last Laugh
12 Don't Mind Me
13 I Surrender
14 Far From Here, Far From Now (Reprise)
15 Passover Prayer / Masada / The Choice
16 Imagine This (Finale)

To order a copy of 'Imagine This', please call (800) PLAY-PBS or visit
shopPBS.org.
TITLE: 'Imagine This'
FORMAT: DVD and CD
DVD RUNNING TIME: approximately 2 hours
CD TRACKS: 16, approximately 1 hour
SRP: $24.99 for the DVD, and $18.98 for the CD
PREBOOK: 4/6/10
STREET DATE: 5/4/10
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Imagine This -Reborn#2
Posted: 5/6/10 at 5:51am
If only the show had actually been as "compelling" as the promo hype for the DVD claims. It was pure corn. Actually when I saw it the laughter did "rise above the tears" - people in the audience were laughing at the pure awfulness of the dialogue and lyrics. Such a shame coz the music was wonderful.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Imagine This -Reborn#2
Posted: 5/6/10 at 6:43am
The music I've heard from this is quite good. I'm definitely going to check out the dvd.

....but the world goes 'round
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Imagine This -Reborn#3
Posted: 5/6/10 at 11:52am
This DVD is DELIGHTFUL, AMAZING quality, and they have cut out about 40 minutes I believe, to take the show down to 2 hours, which now makes it very fast paced, and much more interesting!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Imagine This -Reborn#4
Posted: 5/6/10 at 11:56am
Its not that often we get a West End show on DVD.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Imagine This -Reborn#5
Posted: 5/6/10 at 12:07pm
I'm afraid they'd have to take out every second of its trite dialogue for me to find it interesting. Also the characters were very wooden, the plot was very contrived and it's hard for me to imagine anything that would make me want to buy this.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Imagine This -Reborn#6
Posted: 5/6/10 at 1:22pm
Don't mince words, Bob, what did you really think? Imagine This -Reborn

It's a shame we don't get more shows on DVD. And most of the recent ones that are available are of shows that didn't do particularly well - Kiss Me Kate, Our House and now this. Why is that?
Updated On: 5/6/10 at 01:22 PM
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Imagine This -Reborn#7
Posted: 5/6/10 at 3:07pm
Marius - LOL. Yes, I do tend to say what I think. It's just I got so frustrated and angry that a show as seriously weak as this made it to the West End stage purely because the producers had a ridiculous amount of money to throw at it.

But I agree with you that it's great to get DVDs of musicals. I think that often the reason a flop or a show that only did moderate business gets a DVD release is that it can be a way for producers to try and make back some of their investment - or, with a new show, to somehow try and galvanise some further interest in the piece. Another recent DVD release was A Tale Of Two Cities (another flop on Broadway). I actually LOVED that show when I saw it in New York and enjoy the songs on the DVD - though for some crazy reason they cut half the show on the DVD and inserted some god-awful narration by Michael York.