Page: 1

Kenwright 'Rises' With New Classic For The Stage

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Kenwright 'Rises' With New Classic For The Stage
'Lark Rise To Candleford' is to take to the road this summer and tour through to Christmas.

Following the success of the award-winning BBC television series, Bill Kenwright presents a fresh new revival of Keith Dewhurstís original stage adaptation of the much loved story Lark Rise to Candleford.

Based on the first book of Flora Thompsonís trilogy of semi-autobiographical novels, this heart warming play was first performed at Londonís National Theatre in 1978 and was nominated for two Olivier awards.

Seen through the eyes of young Laura Timms, the play follows a day in the life and relationships of the farm workers, craftsmen and gentry of the fictional hamlet of Lark Rise at the end of the nineteenth century.

It is the first day of harvest, and the simple pleasures of music, song and dance and the carefree innocence of youth is mingled with the ever present sadness and suffering that goes hand in hand with poverty, creating a moving and evocative picture of a forgotten England.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How interesting! I love the series. It's utterly charming.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It wont be when he stages it!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For respect for having a great theatre scene in London, DO NOT LET THIS COME NEAR TO A LONDON STAGE!!!!!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You can bet your bottom $ it will hit Wimbledon, Bromley or Richmond
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To give credit where it's due, I have to say I loved the Kenwright productions of Blood Brothers (though his website incorrectly states he won a Tony award), Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Brendan Fraiser and A Doll's House with Janet McTeer. And he has staged numerous plays I haven't seen, but read glowing reviews such as Dancing at Lughnasa and The Chairs.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian