Page: 1

Broadway Beginner

nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Broadway Beginner#1
Posted: 3/8/10 at 8:28pm
I am going to New York at the end of June for a week with a friend, and it will be the first time I have been in the city since i was about 10 years old (which is longer ago than I would care to think). I am hoping to see some theatre, although, as I am on a limited budget, am not sure as to what to see. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would be keen on seeing 'The Addams Family' as it interests me personally, but I am certainly open to recommendations!

Thanks in advance!!!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Beginner#2
Posted: 3/9/10 at 3:39am
I would say that NEXT TO NORMAL is totally unmissable - pretty much in a class all on its own at the top of the pile. But basically it's down to what style of show/music you particularly like. I would assume you'd prefer to see shows that are not also currently on show in London - so I'd recommend In The Heights & the fantastic revival of South Pacific at Lincoln Center. Some shows about to open that appear to be "must sees" for the coming season are Promises Promises and American Idiot (if your tastes stretch to Green Day's rock music).
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Broadway Beginner#2
Posted: 3/9/10 at 8:29am
I'd second Bob's recommendation of Next To Normal - I found it utterly compelling and totally unlike any other musical I've ever seen (in fact I wasn't even sure it would be my cup of tea when I first read about it).

I'd also be intrigued to see how the London production of La Cage Aux Folles holds up in NYC and to see how Kelsey Grammer fares as Georges. I have a hunch that it could be a bigger hit than people expect. I hope so anyway.

If you're on a limited budget (which I usually am when I go), check which shows have Standing Room Only and Lottery policies. Hopefully they'll be available for the big new shows coming in such as The Addams Family, Promises Promises and American Idiot.
Seen some shows in my time....
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Beginner#3
Posted: 3/9/10 at 8:38am
I third Bob's recommendation about Next to Normal, it is unmissable, also agree about South Pacific.

So if you are there for a week you have a good chance to see 10 shows, will you be seeing this much? what I would syuggest is you are tacticle about your ticket buying, use as much internet offers, check the web to see how much tickets are and how much you can save and see what's selling at TKTS, if you must pay top rate for a ticket do so on a Friday or saturday night, when offers will be scarce.

I let you know about more shows when I come back end of March.

Updated On: 3/9/10 at 08:38 AM
Dantes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Broadway Beginner#4
Posted: 3/9/10 at 8:51am
And i also agree with Next to Normal
Try some Off Broadway stuff as well
former sadm2 (wink)
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Beginner#5
Posted: 3/9/10 at 10:58am
In The Heights is a must, I thought id hate it (I dont even like the cd much) but the show and music in the context of the show is amazing.
nshreeve Profile Photonshreeve Profile Photo
nshreeve
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Broadway Beginner#6
Posted: 3/13/10 at 9:00pm
Thanks everyone for the advice!!! I am planning on using the student rushes and lotteries as much as possible. I am thinking about booking for In the Heights, or Next to Normal based on everyone's suggestions. I cannot wait!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Beginner#7
Posted: 3/14/10 at 5:31am
"In The Heights is a must, I thought id hate it (I dont even like the cd much) but the show and music in the context of the show is amazing."

I have avoided this show on Broadway. as never really appealed, but heard good things from a couple of people, so will see this at the end of March, another reason is there is not much on Broadway when I go in a couple of weeks.

nshreeve I hope you have a good time, keep as posted.

gcontini2 Profile Photogcontini2 Profile Photo
gcontini2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Broadway Beginner#8
Posted: 3/14/10 at 5:32pm
Re: In the Heights...

It's hard to judge it from the cast recording because it's not really a show that has melodies that transfer to listening out of context...

That said, you may want to see it for one reason beyond the fact that it's very well done with excellent choreography and singing: it's representative of the NEW 21st century musical which - unusually - uses current musical styles (in this case hip-hop and rap) while STILL being a completely old-fashioned and integrated Book Musical.

In this sense ITH is very different than, say Spring Awakening (which is not consistently integrated and some may say is only vaguely a book musical) or American Idiot, which for all of its new energy and creativity is a full departure from the traditional book musical...into, what? a staged rock concert? not sure where this will lead us next.

So, if you want to get a glimpse of one version of the musical theater's future that - despite its style - is a direct descendent of, say, South Pacific playing up the street, you might want to check it out.

Enjoy.