Hadley Fraser
Carl Au
Luke Brady
Lorna Want
Clive Rowe
David Burt
Edward Petherbridge
Paul Hunter.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fantasticks-West-End-Production-2010#!/pages/The-Fantasticks-West-End-Production-2010/312712387980?ref=ts
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Fantasticks - Cast#2
Posted: 2/28/10 at 7:26pm
I thought there must be a reason Hadley Fraser was in the UK again; guess all the leading man roles dried up in the States in the end. Lorna Want must be playing Luisa, obviously - I didn't realise there was only one female role in the whole show!

I don't know The Fantasticks at all so this should be interesting. Hope the production's good.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Fantasticks - Cast#2
Posted: 3/1/10 at 12:25am
DeNada, I believe that Fraser was in the states on a work visa for is his time in The Pirate Queen. However, he did fall in love and started to date (don't know if they are still together) one of the members of the female ensemble. I do think that they did spend time together out west after the show had finished. He didn't do anything on Broadway or off or just in general after that. I do know that he was involved with one of the members of the female ensemble and was for a good long while after the show had closed on Broadway.

Now that I think of it, I am not sure how he was able to stay in the US legally for as long as he did. Yes, he was in America on a work visa for his Broadway debut, but I was under the impression that as soon as the show closed that would have gone out the window if he couldn't find work soon thereafter. If he got married to the ensemble member with whom he fell in love with, it would still take a long time for him to become a citizen. There is a process, and while marrying a US citizen if you're not one yourself is a way to access citizenship there is still a process that has to be followed and it is one that takes a long time.

This production should be interesting, I don't know how big the theatre that it is going to be playing in is. But, this is a show that gets totally lost when playing in a very big space. The reason why this show played for as long as it had in its original run is not only because it has great material. But, the way it was designed. A cardboard moon hung on a pole to symbolize that it was night and there was moon light. They even have a character called The Mute that did things like hold up a stick to represent a wall and other things of that nature.

In fact, the original creators created a Fantasticks type show for Broadway called Celebration. If you look at the logo for the original run of Celebration and the logo that is used for The Fantasticks you would see that they are written by the same person and are in the same font so to speak. Because both shows were meant to have a small space for them to be performed in, they didn't have much luck with Celebration as a result.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Fantasticks - Cast#3
Posted: 3/1/10 at 5:04am
Hadley has also been teaching stateside
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The Fantasticks - Cast#4
Posted: 3/1/10 at 6:28am
Knowing Lorna, as I do, I am surprised that she hasn't been in contention for 'Over The Rainbow', the serach for Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz.

This would have raised her profile enormously and Andrew Lloyd Webber loves her, after being in his revised production of 'Evita' as the Mistress.

Oh well I'm sure her management know hat they are doing.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Fantasticks - Cast#5
Posted: 3/1/10 at 11:37am
This is such a brilliant line up.

Whose to say Lorna didnt audition and wasnt successful? or maybe she is against reality TV in theatre? or maybe she is worried she wouldnt get very far and ego has stopped her auditioning (this is the case with some theatre peeps)
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Fantasticks - Cast#6
Posted: 3/1/10 at 12:53pm
Winston - The Fantastics is going into The Duchess a small theatre that holds about 550 people, so should be perfect.

I am not sure if I have seen any of the cast perform on stage, but whatever still looking forward to seeing this heritage of 'New York' theatre play in London and definitely look forward to seeing Hadley Fraser, as enjoyed his presents on 'The Pirate Queen' OBCR.
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Fantasticks - Cast#7
Posted: 3/1/10 at 2:36pm
Not a big fan of David Burt's but apart from him, the whole cast is pretty stellar!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Fantasticks - Cast#8
Posted: 3/1/10 at 5:55pm
I adore this show when it is a good production. But it doesn't take much to turn it into something completely unbearable. I really hope the London production has the magic touch.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Fantasticks - Cast#9
Posted: 3/1/10 at 6:29pm
I still don't think that this show is one for a big stage. The original Sullivan Street Playhouse had around 200 if that and the same can be said for its new home.

I guess it could work in a bigger theatre so long as they make the show VERY minimalist in terms of set. What is great about this show is that it actually makes the audience use their minds to pretend that they are in a forrest or in an old castle. The moon is literally nothing more then a moon painted on a wooden circle that hangs on a pole. The other side of it is the sun that also hangs the same way.

The theatre that it is going to be playing in is roughly the same size in terms of seats as The Helen Hayes, Broadways' smallest theatre and I can see The Fantasticks working in that space so I guess would be okay in The West End.

Mister Matt, I do remember someone on the Broadway forum saying that they saw a local production of the show where there was a kick line of dancing veggies during "Plant A Radish." Talk about that being overdone.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Fantasticks - Cast#10
Posted: 3/2/10 at 6:13am
One big

The Fantasticks - Cast

fest!
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Fantasticks - Cast#11
Posted: 3/2/10 at 6:51am
A yawn? Really?

Mama, how can you say that with Clive Rowe in the cast?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Fantasticks - Cast#12
Posted: 3/2/10 at 6:55am
I know, I know but the show just does my head in. Always has.
Updated On: 3/2/10 at 06:55 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Fantasticks - Cast#13
Posted: 3/2/10 at 6:55am
and Hadley Fraser, and Karl Au, and Lorna Want
chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
The Fantasticks - Cast#14
Posted: 3/4/10 at 7:27am
"Knowing Lorna, as I do, I am surprised that she hasn't been in contention for 'Over The Rainbow', the serach for Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz.

This would have raised her profile enormously and Andrew Lloyd Webber loves her, after being in his revised production of 'Evita' as the Mistress.

Oh well I'm sure her management know hat they are doing"

Yes... im sure they do know what they are doing.... she is playing the female lead in the West End premiere of the longest running musical in the world. This will put her, artistically, into a very very good place where she has been cast by a great and impressive team- much better than maybe getting to the final of a reality show.

Also, Winston- the Duchess is one of the smallest west end houses. Its lovely and will be a great fit for this production! No swamping will happen here! :)

Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Fantasticks - Cast#15
Posted: 3/4/10 at 11:15am
I saw Blue/Orange at the Duchess and I do remember it being a smaller space, but the show was staged in the round and I had a seat on the stage, so I can't comment on what the view was like from the stalls. It is less than 500 seats, I think, so it should be just fine for Fantasticks.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Fantasticks - Cast#16
Posted: 3/4/10 at 12:08pm
The theatre size is perfect no doubting that.