Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier

AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#1
Posted: 2/17/10 at 6:40am
Directed again by Trevor Nunn

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118015315.html?categoryid=15&cs=1&ref=vertlegit

I dont think this is the xmas musical but a summer run

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#2
Posted: 2/17/10 at 8:00am

Yes please, I will be the first one in the queue for a ticket, where do the queues start?

In the article did they confirm Roger Moore as Uncle George?

My favourite musical from The Lord. I saw the original one at the Princess of Wales, where Mama earned his retirement in just two nights; it then came back to the Prince of Wales which I saw again. 2 years ago you had the brilliant tour, however Matt Rawle was awful, he overacted the part of Alex. Be great if the fantastic creativity of The Menier axed 'Love Changes Everything'.

Brilliant news, a musical for the theatre connoisseur, cannot wait!

Updated On: 2/17/10 at 08:00 AM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#2
Posted: 2/17/10 at 8:00am
This is their first British musical although it means unless there is no Christmas Musical this year which is unlikely that there will be three musicals in 2010 rather than just the Summer Musical and the Christmas musical.

AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#3
Posted: 2/17/10 at 8:44am
They've done summer musicals many times (They're playing our song, Take Flight) They know where the money is!

They'd be stupid not to do an xmas musical with all the success now attached to them...I heard they were doing Mame this year after nearly going with it last year
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#4
Posted: 2/17/10 at 12:02pm
Their musicals attract considerable attention and often transfer into the West End, their plays, however, are less fortunate. So to stick with an increased output of musical's appears a sensible economic decision.

Aspects is not my favourite musical. The central theme of 'Love Changes Everything' occurs far too often for my liking.

I hope they are brave enough to reinvent the musical but please don't let Trevor Nunn anywnere near adapting the book!!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#5
Posted: 2/17/10 at 4:22pm
I saw the Aspects tour the other year. Tim Rogers as Alex was as incredabley powerful as you would expect (the UK really does lack any masculine leading men, they all come from overseas), David Essex as George was just fine, Poppy Tierney as Giulietta was sex on stage, Shona Lindsey was a hard Rose but I guess thats right for the character. Beautiful set.

Its not ALWs best work, but it was enjoyable....although 'Aspects of Sex' would have been a better title. It had too much singing in it, I cringed at several moments and wished they would just talk, its a real case of not EVERYTHING has to be sung. Bit too melodramatic.

Trevor Nunn directing worries me as he drags everything out, but the intimate Menier setting will work well for it I think
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#6
Posted: 2/17/10 at 6:04pm
Oh, I hope they do! When I saw the tour, all I could say was "well... I've seen better musicals about painters named George". If the Menier does it, I can amend that to "well... I've seen the Menier do better musicals about painters named George". Horrible show. Horrible HORRIBLE show. The plot was awful, most of the characters were hideous, the music droned on interminably, and if it weren't for Poppy Tierney being EVEN SEXIER than Princeton has already given her credit for, I would've stomped out o' that theatre in a huff.

Yeah... I'm not a fan. XD But if you like it, then by all means go and see what is sure to be at the very least a wonderful production of this... show. :3
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#7
Posted: 2/17/10 at 6:16pm
One of ALW's dullest shows directed by the world's dullest director of musicals. A night to avoid.
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#8
Posted: 2/18/10 at 2:32am
dull
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#9
Posted: 2/18/10 at 6:26am
Aspects has been confirmed in an email from the Menier. Further details and booking info coming soon.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#10
Posted: 2/18/10 at 7:37am
It could play very well at the Menier, he wrote it as a small chamber piece to begin with.

POL, which production did you see at the Prince Of Wales, the original 1989 production or the the first national tour that closed there in 1994? I was well gone by the time the tour arrived.
The two were totally different productions, the latter seen by many as the much better production.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#11
Posted: 2/18/10 at 8:02am
Mama, I did see both and enjoyed both shows very much, however Aspects of Love was my first musical, I was 14 and in awe of the staging, lighting and singing, so not competent to make a judgement on the show. I know you were "well gone" all that lovely overtime from the original.

"Aspects is not my favourite musical. The central theme of 'Love Changes Everything' occurs far too often for my liking."

I have no objection if they dropped the song 'Love Changes Everything' from the beginning, as it does not add anything to the story, it comes across as a after-thought from the creators, who realised they have not gone a big song to plug the show. If they started the show from 'The Master Builder' I for one will be happy, However when Love Changes Everything reoccurs through the show this is great and poignant, when Jenny sings 'Love Changes Everything' in French it is simply euphoic.
Updated On: 2/18/10 at 08:02 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#12
Posted: 2/18/10 at 8:35am

'Aspects Of Love' will play the Menier summer season from July 15th thru Sept 11th.

Directed by Trevor Nunn.
Choreography by Lynne Page.
Set design by David Farley.
Lighting by Paul Pyant.

Bookings open in April with casting to be announced around the same time.

Updated On: 2/18/10 at 08:35 AM
chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#13
Posted: 2/18/10 at 6:02pm
god. what an awful show. Dull dully dull dull dull...!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#14
Posted: 3/4/10 at 2:25pm
My ideal cast would be

Ruthie Henshall as Rose
Julien Ovenden as Alex (if not can he please do Passion at the Donmar), or maybe Martin Crewes
Poppy Tierney as Giulietta (reprising the role on from the tour)

Struggling to think of someone for George though
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#15
Posted: 3/4/10 at 2:30pm
I was underwhelmed by the tour I must say and all I remember it for now is one of the best exits after death I've seen on stage; David Essex crouched behind a table with a cloth covering it attempting to sneak off in full view of everyone in dress circle and up!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#16
Posted: 3/4/10 at 3:24pm
Does anyone know when the casy will be announced and when tickets go on sale?
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#17
Posted: 3/4/10 at 6:07pm
Mama says April a few posts up....

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Updated On: 3/4/10 at 06:07 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#18
Posted: 3/5/10 at 3:33am
Thank God this won't be the recent tour (I love the show, flaws and all, but as much as I love Bjornson's over elaborate original sets, the production I saw that made me fall in love with it was Robin Philips' Canadian production which then toured).

Kinda ironic Nunn is doing it so soon after Night Music, since Hal Prince turned it down originally because he saw it as too similar...

I had no idea there was a new production that toured England till 94--what was the creative team?
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#19
Posted: 3/5/10 at 1:54pm
My favorite Lloyd Webber show! I truly wish I could see this, especially now that it's probably getting the staging I always imagined for the show. I always pictured it as a chamber piece with perhaps an onstage string quartet, harp and piano.

I love the show, flaws and all, but as much as I love Bjornson's over elaborate original sets, the production I saw that made me fall in love with it was Robin Philips' Canadian production which then toured

Ditto that. It was a stunning production.

The central theme of 'Love Changes Everything' occurs far too often for my liking.

Actually, I think it occurs less than Angel of Music does in Phantom of the Opera, but to me, Love Changes Everything is used more effectively.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#20
Posted: 3/8/10 at 5:39pm
Matt, again, I'll remind people that it was written as a chamber piece, he always says this when talking about the show and that was his aim but it got bigger and bigger as the original West End production got closer to the stage.
This will be as it should be seen Im sure.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#21
Posted: 3/8/10 at 5:44pm
I'm absolutely thrilled about this. I just wish I could see it.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#22
Posted: 3/9/10 at 3:34am
My favourite Andrew Lloyd Webber musical - arguably his best musical score!

I was lucky to have seen the show in London and on Broadway with the same original cast led by Michael Ball ( the only change was the actress who played Jenny) and the romantic musical score continues to resonate with me up to now. The show was based on David Garnett's novella of Bohemian life in London in the 50's.

Here's a video clip from the TONY awards with the company performing the song LOVE CHANGES EVERYTHING, as they musically narrate the storyline.

http://bluegobo.com/content/production.php?var=2886035&video=10489

Btw, the song was never sung in French by Jenny. She did sing different lyrics to the melody towards the end ( one of my favorite tracks). The French song was Chanson D'Enfance, the theme of Rose, from which Jenny also sang a line or two in the second act.

I have also seen a local production here in Manila which was a much scaled down version with only two pianos serving as accompaniment. The glorious musical score was still in mint condition!

mikeysussex
Understudy
Understudy
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#23
Posted: 3/10/10 at 2:20am
Whilst I take the point that this was written as a chamber piece, the end result was one of my worst nights at the theatre.
I just wished that with all those revolving doors on the set that the actors would go straight out of the theatre and not come back. Would loved to have seen a rehersal with Roger Moore though. He would have matched the wooden scenery I suspect. It's up there with 'Cafe Puccini' as a bad idea.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aspects of Love Revival @ Menier#24
Posted: 3/23/10 at 4:17pm
Well, it looks like Ruthie is out of the running. She confirmed today that her future credits include Broadway, playing Roxie Hart in Chicago, a book on breaking into the business, a UK concert tour in October/November with orchestra, dancers and 4 singers.

So doesnt look like she will have time to do Aspects.