Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010

Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But then nobody dies and where's the fun in that?

lol
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
Dantes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I have to say that all the ones complaining that people are speaking badly about it are making themselves look silly.

Holbee has seen the show (im gonna guess the rest of you have not who are compaining) and is giving a great report as to what the show is like. Many people are saying the same thing all over the web, it's dull, its absurd, some nice visuals, not many meorible songs etc etc.

Now you can class all them people as ALW haters if that makes you feel better but i would more think it has to do with the show having problems.

Im not a fan of ALW yet im not against him at all (i was in 2 of his shows on tour and did a workshop of another one) yet i aint sat here hoping it fails. A lot of people will have put a lot of hard work in to it.

The reason i think people are slightly against this show is that it's a lazy project, its a cash making project rather than anything new and original.
former sadm2 (wink)
MCfan2 Profile PhotoMCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh man, devonian.t, your idea is so incredibly good that it breaks my heart that ALW didn't do something like that, instead of totally wrecking the characters and their motives. Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010
Christopher Gough Profile PhotoChristopher Gough Profile Photo
Christopher Gough
Stand-by
Stand-by
I'm seeing the show on Wednesday so will reserve judgement until then. But devonian.t seems to have nailed 'the book that never was' for me!

It seems quite strange that when I have read interviews with ALW and watched the press launch for LND that he approaches the whole project as a 'bit of a laugh'. If I had come up with the music for something that has been attributed with being the single most successful piece of entertainment of all time; I'd want to protect its legacy.

ALW needed to find a writer that wanted to protect the legacy of the original piece - not his old mate Ben Elton who 'tinkered about' with ALW's ideas until they came up with something they felt was 'workable'. The theatre-going public might put up with LND for a while - but they'll never embrace it - because LND isn't true to the amazing success of POTO.

I will reserve judgement until I've seen LND this week - but no-one has yet described it as an unqualified success, so we know it won't be a spectacular show. What a shame that the potential hasn't been realised.
BwayBaby18 Profile PhotoBwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010#105
Posted: 2/23/10 at 11:54am
Does anyone know if Sierra went on yesterday? Just curious.
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010#106
Posted: 2/23/10 at 12:12pm
I'm getting ready to go to the adelphi tonight, I'm going with an open mind neither pro or con love never dies,
Think its the best way :)
Will be honest and will post as the evening unfurls :S
For anybody interested michael ball is on the god awful alan titchmarsh show
Disecting the "first night review" (his words not mine)
Will post later Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010#107
Posted: 2/23/10 at 12:18pm
It be really cool if the Phantom climbed on top af the Adelphi and unrolled a massive 'fathers for justice' banner! Just a thought.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010#108
Posted: 2/23/10 at 12:29pm

or
'Must Close Saturday'
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
From reading a review of last night's show, with the story lines in this new musical, I has half expecting Jermey Kyle to walk on stage half way through and sort them all out "The Jeremy Kyle Show" way!
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
devonian.t, as much as your plot makes much more sense than Raouloholic and secret sexytimes with Ramin, it's probably a bit too close to retreading the ground from the first show which is why ALW has jettisoned it for melodramatic sleeping around. I can't quite get over how ridiculous having Christine sleep with the Phantom is; part of the "power" of the ending of POTO is that Christine finally shows the Phantom a tiny bit of physical affection out of pity, and now suddenly she's supposed to decide that was the best pull she'll ever have and she needs to shag him now? Ugh.

It sounds to me like Love Never Dies isn't very creepy. I can't say that POTO is particularly creepy now after all these years, but the Phantom is a menacing murderer terrorising the Opera House and the people in it, as well as being obsessed with Christine. Now of course I haven't seen the show yet so I can't comment on what it's actually like, but the preliminary reports suggest that any sense of evil about the Phantom has been removed in favour of making him something of a damaged woobie still in love with Christine.

I'll see the show myself obviously. I swing wildly between being really excited and dreading it. Only time will tell!
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So, I'm trying to avoid finding anything out about a plot but I skimmed over something about a son? I'm assuming it would be Christine's child? Anyway... how long after the first Phantom does this take place? It seems preposterous that Christine would have an adolescent son.
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The difference is supposed to 10 years after the original. If she was newly pregnant at the end of the original that would make the son going on for 11 years old.
JudasIscariot Profile PhotoJudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is going to be my first West End show. I'm going to see it on March 30th. I have a few questions for those who have seen it:

So is the Phantom just this super nice guy, or does he still have an edge/dark side? Does Raoul have any sort of redeeming qualities, or is he pretty much a drunken ass all the way through? They don't call the Phantom Erik, do they? How does the score stack up against the first show? Are there any big spectacles like the chandelier? Are they any little bits of the previous Phantom's score in the show?

Also, I've never been to the Adelphi, obviously. I was on a budget, so the tickets we bought are in the Upper Circle, Row H, seats 34-35. Will we be able to see everything alright?

Thanks! Very excited to see it!

Updated On: 2/23/10 at 06:18 PM
nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010#114
Posted: 2/23/10 at 11:26pm
Why would you think that Sierra didn't go on last night? Just curious.
chernjam Profile Photochernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010#115
Posted: 2/24/10 at 12:42am
nealb1 - the question about Sierra was because on Saturday, she was taken ill with a 103 degree fever and her understudy (who at this point in the production of a show wouldn't usually be prepared to step in) - did and did wonderfully from reports in the press...

Sierra did go on for the first preview btw to whomever asked...
SporkGoddess
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Raoul is drunken and abusive? AWESOME. This is better than I had hoped for.
Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
camncal
Stand-by
Stand-by
wait....so Christine dies?
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The description of the book to his show sounds more like a sequel to the Dario Argento film rather than Lloyd Webber's show.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010#119
Posted: 2/24/10 at 10:42am
A piece from Riedel in this mornings New York Post, the bit I put in italics does this remind you of anyone, particularly Mama and devonian I wonder?

SPEAKING of "Love Never Dies," the first preview at the Adelphi this week was a bit rocky. About five minutes into the show, the set malfunctioned, and the show stopped cold.

Director Jack O'Brien walked out onstage and spoke to the crowd.

Lloyd Webber was spotted pacing nervously at the back of the house.

The production is said to cost more than $20 million, making it one of the most expensive shows in West End history.

It's already become a lightning rod for some "Phantom" fanatics, who've been e-mailing theater critics and reporters in London and New York denouncing the show, even though they haven't seen it yet.

I got 15 such e-mails yesterday.

But don't worry, Andrew. I deleted all of them.

See you in London!

Updated On: 2/24/10 at 10:42 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010#120
Posted: 2/24/10 at 11:06am
I don't have his address!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010#121
Posted: 2/24/10 at 11:34am
Ok so you dont like the show, or the fact a sequal has been written at all...fine.

But am I the only one who finds it inredabley sad and pathetic that 'phans' are emailing the press denouncing it !?
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010#122
Posted: 2/24/10 at 12:15pm
"Also, I've never been to the Adelphi, obviously. I was on a budget, so the tickets we bought are in the Upper Circle, Row H, seats 34-35. Will we be able to see everything alright?"

Someone I know went last night and was in Row N and could see fine although obviously distant. Im in Row K on Saturday night so will let you know how it is up there!
chernjam Profile Photochernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Never Dies -Adelphi Theatre, London 2010#123
Posted: 2/24/10 at 12:44pm
>>Ok so you dont like the show, or the fact a sequal has been written at all...fine. But am I the only one who finds it inredabley sad and pathetic that 'phans' are emailing the press denouncing it !? <<

No you're definitely not the only one...

That's exactly been my point that some (and I emphasize SOME) went to see it just to come out, and try to turn people against it. I mean come on, who has time to create a group called LOVE SHOULD DIE to try to kill a show before it even opens and then write with a bizarre dose of schadenfreude whenever there's even a slight mishap??
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I mean come on, who has time to create a group called LOVE SHOULD DIE to try to kill a show before it even opens and then write with a bizarre dose of schadenfreude whenever there's even a slight mishap??

What, are you new? For many, that sort of thing is a priority in their lives. They think it's quite clever and somehow demands respect or attention or whatnot. If I don't like a show, I don't like it, but I certainly don't launch a campaign or anything. The funniest to me is the attitude that the Lloyd Webber name is instantly synonymous with bad shows. That is so 80s.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Sally Profile PhotoSally Profile Photo
Sally
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Who has the time for all of that?

Someone, I would guess, who is a much bigger fan of The Phantom of the Opera than you think either reasonable or proper.

I know people who have thought this sequel was a really bad idea since ALW first mentioned it over ten years ago. They couldn't do any thing to stop it, of course, but they can try to counteract the media that have been consistently describing LND as "long awaited" by fans of the original and the gushing of some fans who have been writing and posting that they "JUST CAN'T WAIT" for the show to open for months. A fair number of fans are apparently not in this gushing group. I have no idea what the percentages are, but when all that is available to the public are the RUG-authorized and constructed sites, videos, and cast-member blogs, I think that the "anti's" just got pissed off and set up shop themselves.

Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement