Page: 1

The Prince of Wales Theatre - A Majestic Palace.

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I went to Prince of Wales Theatre tonight, to see one of Britain's best export Mama Mia. The theatre was 3/4 full, despite the Get into London Theatre promotion.

It is a long time I have been to the Prince of Wales Theatre, since Aspects of Love came back for the second time and wow what a opulent house of splendour the Price of Wales Theatre is, the refurbishment is fabulous and IMHO the best theatre in London or New York, I have been to all the big ones in both cities, but have not witness such a palatial house, the only thing that ruins the Prince of Wales is Mama Mia's heavy and mawkish stage design, but the show itself is fine and definitely the best tribute/jukebox show in the West End.

A great show in a beautiful venue?
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The auditorium is a good size, but isn't the stage there very small limiting just what can play there?
Dantes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I played there for months, the stage is average size but its not tiny
former sadm2 (wink)
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow Dantes, what was you in?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was house manager there 1988-90. If you want any more info I will gladly provide. Theres an interesting story about the stage house itself!
Terribly run down back then but it had 1000 times the atmosphere it has today.
Updated On: 1/28/10 at 01:03 AM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I recall you (mama) posted a picture of the stage looking into the wings and there is (was) hardly any depth to the stage. It has less depth than the Comedy in Melbourne but is the same wall to wall. What surprises me is that this is the same theatre that FUNNY GIRL and SWEET CHARITY played in in London. How on earth did they manage that? They wouldn't even attempt that in the Comedy.

What does it seat now? From Memory it used to seat around 1,100?
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The pictures I've seen of the refurb look great, but sadly I've not been able to go there for five years thanks to Mamma Mia squating The Prince of Wales Theatre - A Majestic Palace.

Any stories and/or pictuers would be most welcome Mama!

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."