Page: 1

WhatsonStage gloats....

Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WhatsonStage gloats....#1
Posted: 1/17/10 at 8:28am
"They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In which case our own Whatsonstage.com Awards have just been paid the highest compliment by the Society of London Theatre"

"Their ceremony has been getting later and later. Historically held in February, for the past two years, the Oliviers have taken place in early March. In 2010, it's now slipped to Sunday 21 March. Perhaps they didn't want to come too quickly on the heels of our Whatsonstage.com Concert on Sunday 14 February"

Now, I've often said that the Olivier Awards need a kick up the backside. I'm not sure of this is a kick or just a rather roughly inserted...

http://www.whatsonstage.com/gossip/theatre/london/E8831263573979/Oliviers+Following+Example+of+WOS+Awards%3F%3F%3F.html
Updated On: 1/17/10 at 08:28 AM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WhatsonStage gloats....#2
Posted: 1/17/10 at 10:51am
They should really get their act together then and get these awards on TV.
The Oliviers are so into them sleves that they push aside any outside interest and thats been the case for far too many years now.
British theatre really needs a proper TV stage from which to get into the public consciousness. After all, we are constantly being told that London theatre takes more and more at the box office each and every year and how it also contributes to the UK and London economy.
Lets see it on TV then!
Updated On: 1/17/10 at 10:51 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WhatsonStage gloats....#2
Posted: 1/17/10 at 12:15pm
You would also think considering the TV profile theatre has now what with the reality shows, plus shows like Skyarts 'Theatreland' (excellent by the way if you havent seen it)it would make sense to start to make more of a variety entertainment show of it.

Although personally I think the Whatsonstage Awards might make more sense for TV as they are voted for by the public so it would make viewers feel more involved. Plus a great way to sell shows, after all producers always moan about ALW getting free advertising on BBC.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WhatsonStage gloats....#3
Posted: 1/17/10 at 1:42pm
"They should really get their act together then and get these awards on TV."

I think it was Scripps said last year, which I agree with, why don't they film the Olivier Awards for BBC4, which fits in perfectly for the demographic for BBC4. They used to show the Olivier Awards on BBC2 when they only had 2 channels, now they have 4, you think they could make room for the Olivier's, especially as there motto is 'to inform and entertain', not 'chase the biggest TV audience'.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WhatsonStage gloats....#4
Posted: 1/17/10 at 9:26pm
I feel saddened by three things these days, the fact that both the Evening Standard Drama awards and the Oliviers are not broadcast and then that my beloved Royal Variety Performance is such ****e these past 10 years.
peachesr
Stand-by
Stand-by
WhatsonStage gloats....#5
Posted: 1/18/10 at 2:23am
The difference between the Olivier's and the Tony's is huge the buzz around the Tonys is massive and the Oliviers hide away in some hotel somewhere. It's good for the West End in the long-run if it does get on TV. It's such a shame. We're having such a resurgence of theatre it's a perfect timing as someone said to put them on BBC4. Its got to be better viewing than all that National Television Awards crap (basically just soaps).