Page: 1

Kerry Ellis confirms she'll star as Nancy in Oliver

beautywickedlover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Former Elphaba Kerry Ellis has been confirmed to take over the role of Nancy in the West End revival of "Oliver" from Jodie Prenger March 29, 2010. I'm sure she'll do great in this role. The news is found in the middle and the begiining of the bottom of the article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1231278/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Gurkha-goddess-Joanna-red-hot-momma.html

Updated On: 11/27/09 at 11:51 AM
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Remember that thread about Sister Act on the Broadway board that, errrr, how shall I put it, errrr, raised a few eyebrows here?

Well, now there's one on Oliver...

https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1007675&dt=12&boardid=1
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
pathetic!
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i really don't get it...what are they arguing towards over there? she's too old, she's too good, she's not good enough, she should do something better, doing nothing at all, she's boring, oliver is boring. blah blah blah! ugh. i think she'll be ace in the role, noone can deny she hasn't got an amazing voice, and it'll give her the change she needs. hell two years in Wicked must push anyone onto the edge! good luck to her...i'll certainly go see her!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'll go with you Sam. I think it's pretty good casting. Not my ideal choice for a Nancy but she's certainly capable of the role. I really wish i'd have gotten to see Sally Dexter though... too perfect re: Kerry Ellis confirms she'll star as Nancy in Oliver
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
tickets on you re: Kerry Ellis confirms she'll star as Nancy in Oliver
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am the only one who thinks she always looks insanely bored on stage? She has a great voice don't get me wrong but she just has very little stage presence...iunno...she just seems effortless; in the bad way!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sam the tickets are on you... what do you think your student loan is for :p
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
how about i buy your ticket, and you pay for mine? :P
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I hope this brings something out in Ms Ellis... as great as she can be, she bloody loves to take it easy on stage, giving dull, lacklustre performances. For the most part of her run of Elphaba, she seemed averse to holding notes during midweek performances, makiing her Defying Gravity a resounding anti-climax. That's all well and good for a show like Wicked... still relatively new, for the majority of people who go, it'll be their first time so they don't know any better. For a lumbering, modern classic of a show like Oliver, there are certain songs people look out for, with As Long As He Needs Me being one of them. Kerry's really going to have to push herself to consistently do that song justice. Does she have what it takes?
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sam i decided you can pay for tickets for me and Mamma as your loan will more than suffice. Plus it's three age groups and you should respect your elders enough to purchase them :p Anyone else jumping on the bandwagon whilst Sam is taking the flack for tickets to Oliver!? Anyone? Speak up people!!

I personally think she'll be ok. She'll have to work hard obviously but it's not nearly as big a role as Elphaba... she'll be fine and dandy i think. Personally though i would have loved to see Emma Williams tackle this one. I imagine she'd bring a vulnerability to the role.