Page: 1

Xanadu- What happened?

jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Xanadu- What happened?#1
Posted: 10/26/09 at 4:55pm
What happened to the plans to brink Xanadu to the uk. It was supposed to be coming in 2009 but still no word
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu- What happened?#2
Posted: 10/26/09 at 8:02pm
Well it is no longer listed on the David Ian productions website, so doesn't look like it is going to happen now.
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu- What happened?#2
Posted: 10/27/09 at 7:11am
Shame. I loved the broadway version
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu- What happened?#3
Posted: 10/27/09 at 4:15pm
Sadly Xanadu will not come to London, I thinkthe reason for this is financial.

A lot of shows have not transferred, such as

Young Frankenstein
Colour Purple (H)
In the Heights (H)
South Street (H)
West Side Story (H)
Shrek
Little Mermaid
9-5
A Chorus Line (H)
Passing Street
[Title of the show]
Gypsy
Curtains
The 25th Bee (H)
Grey Gardens (H?)
Tarzan
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel (H?)
Fiddler on the Roof
The Light at the end of the Plaza
All Shook Up
Good Vibrations
Aida (H)
Dracula
42nd Street
Caroline or Change
A Catered Affair

(H) = Hit

Above I have listed musicals that have not come over, they played Broadway in the last 5 years. I remember virtually in the same week when Avenue Q, Wicked, Spamalot and Movin out announced they were coming over, but that was a while ago and how exciting I was they were coming over.

I guess the failure of Modern Thorough Millie, Rent, Drowsy Chaperone (hated on here) and Spring Awakening (idolised on here, me included) has been detrimental to theatre, as producers are very wary of taking the risk, thankfully Avenue Q, Wicked and Hairspray have done fabulously well.

Personally I would love all the shows listed above to come / or came over, as I love theatre and a good choice of shows to go and see, as long as it is not damaging to British theatre, which will always come first!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu- What happened?#4
Posted: 10/27/09 at 4:25pm
Caroline or Change was at the National couple years back.

Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Xanadu- What happened?#5
Posted: 10/27/09 at 5:18pm
Many of the shows you mentioned are, in my opinion, too American centred in their subject matter that they would not translate well over here.

Shows that deal with "ethnic" issues also don't do well in British theatre. This in itself would prevent producers from risking/bringing the show over here.

Also some of the shows listed did not succeed on Broadway and that would prevent them from crossing the pond!

We also have had tours of West Side Story (Sadlers Wells and National Tour). Fidler On The Roof (National Tour and West End(Savoy)).

The economic situation has affected, greatly, the confidence of producers.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu- What happened?#6
Posted: 10/28/09 at 5:20am
Unfortunately some of those transfers didn't work out also due to complications on theatre/timing/producer issues.

Remember Hairspray was due to cross the pond in 2003 and 2005 before turning up in 2007. That was due to firstly the Victoria Palace not being free, then complication with the set at the Cambridge. Then Live Nation pulled out (finanical issues) and Stage Ents picked up the rights and it finally happened.

42nd Street nearly got The Apollo Vic for 2005 transfer - but Wicked put up money for renovation. Then it tried for The Palladium but ALW had finally decided to do Sound of Music.

A Chorus Line, for London, has very few theatres available to house it as it must be a wide arched theatre. The only theatre big enough were the 2000+ seaters (way too big) and the Prince Edward and Prince of Wales - both at the time housing huge hits.

Alot of the other shows mentions were as people have said "too american" to work (grey gardens, 25th..bee..) and others just not successfull enough to warrent a transfer (Young Frank, Catered Affair, All shook..)

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is interesting. It never quite recouped and it was pulled very suddenly when it was still doing fairly respectable trade. It is thought the theatre thought they had a big hit coming in, but it never materialised and the theatre actually housed for a year some small time fillers that lost the owners huge money - they regretted pulling it as with a "star" name the show could have had at least 6 months to a year left in it, it's thought. DRS - I think would work so so well in London and still secretly hope it will crop up again. I think London audiences will go for it. It nearly happened in 2008 with Jonathan Pryce was keen, but it feel through.

Shame we never got 42nd Street, personally, as I love the show and think we should have it back in London. Its pure showbiz.

Also I think Good Vibrations and 9 to 5 should tour the UK - its perfect for UK tour audiences. I also think Color Purple should give it a show at The National Theatre, its a super peice of theatre.

Tarzan will never been seen in the West End (unless some crazed new producer picks up the rights and bets to looses money) and i think Little Mermaid could also follow that suit.

It's a shame that immediate hits now don't mean a transfer anymore. If you look back pre about 2004 nearly every major Broadway hit came to London and visa versa. That even included revivals (Kiss Me Kate, King and I) But economic times have meant producers are very very causious if things aren't a very safe bet, like good, crowd pulling casting, the right theatre, strong investment etc

And to answer on Xanadu... I wouldn't write it off. David Ian still has the UK rights. He has a few other things he is concentrating on like Flashdance hoping to come to London mid 2010, but I think he may do it when the right casting can be found. I think it will probably do a tour first thought. Also David Ian holds the UK rights, at the moment, to do Gypsy (the 2008 Broadway LuPone version) but that currently isn't moving anywhere. It nearly happened with EP for a limited 16 week run but everyone got too nervous and EP had other commitments with scheduling moved. Who knows may still happen! I think the Menier will do it if they can in a few years.

Right... Coffee time now.

Updated On: 10/28/09 at 05:20 AM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu- What happened?#7
Posted: 10/28/09 at 1:08pm
Well deserved coffee I think for Anythinggoes, what a great response, which I read with much interest.

The big cost for a show is developing the musical and staging etc, so shows like Colour Purple (Well said for the National by the way), Young Frankenstein, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, 42nd Street and A Chorus Line, could pay for shipping of the stage set over from the states and the only costs would be operating costs, so would be cheap to stage, this is better than a set sitting in a warehouse somewhere!

As Spotlight suggests The Color Purple would not have a massive run in the Uk, because of cultral issues, also agree with In the Heights not working for the same reason.

I know South Pacific had a recent run about 5 years ago, but I would of thought the producers of Pacific would be desperate to cross the Atlantic to the West End.

I would love to see the above ^ show come to the West as well as Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Young Frankenstein, Gypsy, 42nd Street come over, it be a travesty if Next to Normal to not come and I know I am not a lone voice on this one.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu- What happened?#8
Posted: 10/28/09 at 1:27pm
A major part of the cost, with a new peice, is developing but a huge chunck is theatre and operation costs (admin, ticketing, marketing, pr, website etc) Those shows you lists may have a set and production shaped up, but to transfer is still very costly. And if you doing a set transfer - you have to wait for the theatre to suit it. Hairspray went up the shoot as they wanted to transfer the tour set (from the closed Toronto show) but it didn't fit in the Cambridge. So alas, have the set sit in a warehouse, would be cheaper! And generally the successful shows (like Chorus Line, DRS) will use elements of the set, or all of if possible, for the US Tour. Or - Just dismantel the set, as they did with Mary Poppins is the recent example.

The Broadway revival of South Pacific won't transfer - the show was last in 5 years ago and tours heavily. A show can run on tour and Broadway more successfully in the US as states as Broadway can be very very far away for some people.

I do hope we get 42nd Street, A Chorus Line, Gypsy back in the West End, but I doubt it will be these productions on Broadway.

I think Color Purple at The National work very well - and if successful, transfer.

exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu- What happened?#9
Posted: 10/28/09 at 1:35pm
I'm sorry, did AnythingGoes2 actually say that Good Vibrations should be toured in the UK?

Good Vibrations is one of the absolute worst jukebox shows ever and should stay rightly buried. It makes Tonight's the Night look like Sondheim.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu- What happened?#10
Posted: 10/28/09 at 2:41pm
I would love to see the Donmar do another musical for their next season. When will that be announced btw?????

Look at some of the musicals that have been/are being staged in london recently: Zanna, Don't! First lady suite, Little Fish, Zombie Prom, Man of no importance, Full Monty, Silence!

Id much rather have smaller scaled artistic productions of a show like Grey Gardens/Spelling Bee open and have limited run success than big overproduced productions that aim way too high (hello Spring Awakening).

AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu- What happened?#11
Posted: 10/29/09 at 5:07am
Yes - I did say Good Vibrations should tour the UK.

It is a poor show... but the Beach Boys are very popular still in the UK, I think more so than US, and I just think the show is perfect for tour. Its better than most of the compliation shows the endlessly tour!
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu- What happened?#12
Posted: 10/29/09 at 8:59am
sigh... I really hope to see A Chorus Line in the West End one day... I really will love to!
I'm kinda sad Dirty Rotten Scoundrels did not come through, as I think it'll do well, esp with Jonathan Pryce in it! I think Light In The Piazza, Grey Gardens, South Pacific deserves at least a limited run at the National!
Still... I'm just glad Caroline Or Change/Avenue Q/Wicked/The Producers/Spamalot came over, or else I probably wudnt hav a chance to!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Xanadu- What happened?#13
Posted: 10/29/09 at 9:20am
Light in the Piazza has already been done in the UK in Leicester dont forget. Very good production, although I dont quite get the adoration the musical itself gets