HSA Presents THE LITTLE MERMAID Scripted By 16-Year-Old Geneva Foster-Narvaez
Based on the original Hans Christian Andersen version (Not the Disney Movie), this adaptation of The Little Mermaid was written by 16-year-old Geneva Foster-Narvaez, a student at the Harlem School of the Arts. Geneva has been writing, she says, ever since she can remember and has loved the story of The Little Mermaid since she first saw the movie.
Inspired by current socio-political and peer-to-peer issues, she has put her own spin on the story of the youngest and prettiest of six mermaid sisters. The story, as written by Andersen, tells of the young mermaid's infatuation with the human world. On her 15th birthday, she is allowed to go to the surface where she spots a young Prince. Unable to forget him and consumed by love for the young Prince, she willingly gives up everything that makes her unique, to assume a human form in hopes that he would fall in love with her - the result is tragic.
The Little Mermaid is more than a fairytale and more than a love story. This version, as reconstructed by Geneva draws from the original but conveys key messages that are timeless - remain true to yourself, never denying your roots, and the perils that exists, when one becomes consumed by things that require you to alter who you are.
This classic, written more than 200 years ago hits at the core of what makes each of us special and reminds us that decisions we make have consequences. Those consequences can impact our lives and the lives of others. "At its heart, it is a story about loving yourself, as you are, and it is about cherishing your roots," says Geneva.
Four performances remain, January 11-13, 2019.
- Director and Choreographer Trisha Jeffrey
- Playwright & Assistant Director Geneva Foster-Narvaez
- Set & Prop Design Blair Bauerschmidt aka Blairwear
- Lighting & Sound Design David Orlando & Michael Combs
- Costume Design Amanda McDowall
- Live Music (flute & ukulele) Tiffany Topol
- Production Stage Manager Tracy Johnson
- Assistant Stage Manager Naja Jack
- Speech & Diction Lisa Arrindell
- Physical Acting Tracy Johnson
- Hans Christian Andersen Otto Grimwood
- Han's Apprentice Evelyn Ibague
- Little Mermaid Depré Owens
- Sea King Amani Kojo
- Sea Queen Ava Galindez
- Grandmother Cherish Patton
- Sea Witch Adia Jefferson
- Amatheia Danielle Touba
- Galene Lucia Herndon
- Ceto Maysanne Murad
- Melite Sierra Bivins
- Susanoo Alem John
- Uncle Earwyn Enoca Jones
- Prince Asmodeus Miles Cuffie Aroher
- King Asmodeus Cody Casais
- Queen Valerie Aaliyah Miller
- Princess Temple Sumaiya Dickens
- King Temple Stefano Sullo
- Queen Temple Maria Castillo
FRIENDS OF PRINCE ASMODEUS/PARTYGOERS/SERVANTS
Group Tickets (10+), Students and Seniors (must show ID), $15 ($16.52 e/service fee)
General Admission - $20 ($21.69 w/service fee)
Advance Sales - http://www.hsanyc.org
Day of the Show/Door, $25 ($26.87 w/service fee)
HSA Theater, 645 Saint Nicholas Avenue, NYC 10030