BWW Review: MUSICAL AWARDS 2019 at RAI THEATER: The Winners, the Losers, and everything in-between!
The musical theatre event of the year, the Musical Awards, took place in Amsterdam this year. At this Black Tie gala event, the most prestigious award show in Dutch musical theatre, both performers and creatives are awarded for their best work!
The first performance of the evening was spectactular. Directed by Ashley Wallen, the choreographer of The Greatest Showman, treated the audience on a tribute to a new generation of Hollywood musicals such as La La Land, A Star is Born and - of course - The Greatest Showman performed by the talented Freek Bartels, Jamai Loman and students of Lucia Marthas Institute of Performing Arts.
Special guest of the evening was singer-songwriter and popstar Anastacia, who will star as Killer Queen in the upcoming English rendition of We Will Rock You. She awarded the AD Publieksprijs (voted by the audience - not the jury) to The Lion King which won by 53% of the votes. Hilariously though she struggled with the teleprompter, which apparently was unreadable from the stage. This resulted in the fact that she almost awarded The Best Music Award, if someone from production hadn't saved her, and gave her (readable) cue cards.
It was an evening full of snarky comments, and producer Albert Verlinde couldn't help himself when he and the cast accepted the award for the Lion King to tell Anastacia that he made a speech coming from the heart - instead of needing the teleprompter. Little uncalled for - since she's new and all - but in a room with people who love drama- still entertaining.
The Lifetime Achievement Award was granted to costume designer Yan Tax, for his brilliant work in cinema, television, opera and musical theatre since the 1970's.
After the televised event was over, it was time for the afterparty where winners are congratulated and losers could get a much-deserved drink.
See below the complete list of winners - including the creatives - who for some reasons weren't important enough to be awarded during the live-broadcasted portion of the night. A total shame in my opinion, a musical theatre production is a succes because of the combined efforts of both cast, crew, orchestra, production and creatives. Huge congratulations to the winners!
The winners of 2019:
- Best large musical: The Addams Family - TEC Entertainment with Theateralliantie
- Best small musical: Selma Ann Louis - Bos Theaterproducties with Theateralliantie
- Best leading actress: Brigitte Heitzer for Evita
- Best leading actor: René van Kooten for Evita
- Best supporting actress: Jeannine La Rose for The Color Purple
- Best supporting actor: Laus Steenbeeke for Woef Side Story
- Best newcomer: Jochem Smit for You're The Top
- Best script, lyrics or translation: Jon van Eerd for script/translation for The Addams Family
- Best music or musical arrangements: Michael Reed for music for Charley de Komische Musical
- Best stage design: Michiel Voet for Het Pauperparadijs
- Best choreography: Daan Wijnands for All Stars de Musical
- Best director: Paul Eenens for The Addams Family
For more info: www.musicalawards.nl
Image by: www.musicalawards.nl