SPIDER-MAN Cast/ Song Listing/ Understudies
Posted by somethingwicked 2010-11-29 23:36:51.0

I tried to post this in the SPIDER-MAN preview discussion thread, but it got buried.

Would anyone who has a Playbill be willing to scan or post the listing of who plays which role, who sings which song, and who covers which role?

It would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by steven22 2010-11-30 00:07:10.0

Understudies are listed on playbill.com's who's who

Posted by After Eight 2010-11-30 02:32:27.0

I don't have a scanner, but here's the song list:

Act 1

Splash Page....................Citizens
Behold and Wonder..............Arachne, Miss Arrow, Weavers
Bullying by Numbers............Bullies, High School Girls
No More........................Peter, Mary Jane
D.I.Y World....................Osborn, Emily, High School
Students, Lab assistants
Bouncing Off the Walls.........Peter, Geek Chorus
Rise Above.....................Peter, Arachne, Citizens
Pull the Trigger...............Osborn, Military Generals,
Soldiers
Picture This...................Peter, Mary Jane, Osborn, Emily
I'll Take Manhattan............Green Goblin

Act 2

Spider-Man Rising..............Busker, Citizens
Turn off the Dark..............Arachne
Walk Away......................Peter, Mary Jane, Geek Chorus
Think Again....................Arachne, Furies
Sinistereo.....................Sinister Six
Deeply Furious.................Arachne, Furies
If the World Should End........Mary Jane
The Boy Falls From the Sky.....Peter
Love Me or Kill Me.............Arachne, Peter

Posted by After Eight 2010-11-30 02:42:50.0

Here's the major cast list:

Mary Jane Watson- Jennifer Damiano
Peter Parker/Spider-Man- Reeve Carney
Geek Chorus
Jimmy-6- Gideon Glick
Professor Cobwell- Jonathan Schwartz
Grim Hunter- Mat Devine
Miss Arrow- T.V. Carpio
Arachne- Natalie Mendoza
Classics Teacher- Isabel Keating
The Bullies
Flash- Matt Caplan
Boyle- Dwayne Clark
Kong- Luther Creek
Meeks- Christopher W. Tierney
Uncle Ben- Ken Marks
Aunt May- Isabel Keating
MJ's Father- Jeb Brown
Norman Osborn/The Green Goblin- Patrick Page
Emily Osborn- Laura Beth Wells
J. Jonah Jameson- Michael Mulheren
Busker- Dwayne Clark
The Sinister Six
Carnage- Collin Baja
Kraven the Hunter- Christopher W. Tierney
The Lizard- Brandon Rubendall
Electro- Emmanuel Brown
Swiss Miss- Sean Samuels
Swarm- Gerald Avery

Posted by After Eight 2010-11-30 23:34:11.0

To somethingwicked:

You're very welcome.

Posted by americanboy99 2010-11-30 23:35:58.0

Anyone have any more info on how the story/ plot is working without the character of Harry?

Posted by eatlasagna 2010-11-30 23:52:39.0

i don't want to read the thread... can someone say what the plot is? is it an origin story? thanks

Posted by somethingwicked 2010-11-30 23:56:18.0

After Eight, I thank you immensely!

It is much appreciated.

Posted by steven22 2010-12-01 00:06:40.0

I have a copy of the playbill. If anyone can tell me how to post pictures I can.

Posted by Josh Freilich 2010-12-01 00:12:11.0

Can you also post the orchestra members?

Posted by steven22 2010-12-01 00:12:53.0

I have a full cast and understudy list but don't know how to post screen shots in a thread.

Posted by After Eight 2010-12-01 00:12:54.0

i don't want to read the thread... can someone say what the plot is? is it an origin story? thanks

SPOILERS

Well, that's not such an easy question to answer, since the plot is so muddled. But I'll give it a go from what I could make of it. In the first act, it follows the plot of the movie fairly closely, Peter becomes Spiderman, he loves MJ, his uncle is killed, he fights the Green Goblin. At the same time, a new addition of a Geek chorus has four nerdy types inventing the story of Spiderman as it is being related. They are annoying, and a complete waste of time. Also at the same time, the mythological character of Arachne is introduced, she being a person who was transformed into a spider. In act 2, she kind of takes over the show, and things go really downhill. She has an erotic dream sequence with Peter, another group of villains appear, the Sinister Six, Arachne comes to town, gets a lot of shoes, and finally Peter ends up with MJ. If it all sounds confused, it's because it is!

Posted by steven22 2010-12-01 00:16:03.0

When does Mary Jane seem like such a small role?

Posted by rentheadca 2010-12-01 00:23:49.0

Spoiler Alert:
In the dream sequence Peter becomes controlled by his nightmare. He marries it instead of Mary Jane in another dream. He comes to terms with Arachne and she stops controlling him.
There's also a lot to do with what's real and what's fake, since Arachne has the Sinister Six "attack," but it wasn't real at all. It was a way to get him back to her.

Mary Jane gets to sing a good amount I think. Jennifer was amazing. It's an important role since Peter wouldn't have used his powers the first time if he wasn't trying to impress her.

Posted by PReeves2 2010-12-01 00:39:48.0

renthead: i'm really impressed you got all that from the preview. totally see what you got but still, it's pretty confusing and quite a hard story to tell when so much else is going on around the stage. wasn't sure if i should listen to the music, watch the flying, follow the geeks, get into comic book land, watch the LED screens with all the graphic designs happing. Kinda kept forgetting it was a show about spiderman.

Posted by steven22 2011-05-20 01:03:42.0

new song list?

Posted by kyl3fong2 2011-05-20 02:02:08.0

I have the new Playbill and song-list etc. I can post it up. Hold on.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2011-05-20 02:06:03.0

According to Playbill:

"The Myth of Arachne,"
"Behold and Wonder,"
"Bullying by Numbers,"
"No More,"
"D.I.Y. World,"
"Bouncing Off the Walls,"
"Rise Above,"
"Pull the Trigger,"
"Picture This,"
Act 2
"A Freak Like Me," (New song)
"If the World Should End,"
"Sinistereo,"
"Spider-Man!,"
"Turn Off the Dark,"
"I Just Can't Walk Away,"
"The Boy Falls From the Sky,"
"I'll Take Manhattan"
"Finale"

Posted by yournamehere 2011-05-20 02:10:08.0

Playbill is slightly wrong. Picture This is the last song in Act 1, with Freak Like Me opening Act 2.

Still not sure I like how bumped up "If The World Should End" is but the duet aspect makes it pretty.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2011-05-20 02:11:41.0

^ My bad! The list was the same, but I just put the Act 2 break in the wrong spot

Posted by Pianist3912 2011-05-20 02:42:08.0

Just a note: "Think Again" was in the Playbill as of last night when I saw it BUT was not in the show. Was the song in it when the show came back and just got cut in the last few days?

Posted by kyl3fong2 2011-05-20 02:42:27.0

Posted by bwayphreak234 2011-05-20 03:40:11.0

^ Awesome! Thanks for posting that. I wish Think Again was still in the show, but oh well.

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2011-05-20 06:34:37.0

^

I would assume that "Think Again" was in while they were rehearsing the reboot and thus why it made it to the playbill, but then got cut before the first 2.0 preview.

I don't quite understand how it would have worked with Arachne's new guardian angel persona.

Posted by rougeduck 2011-05-20 08:35:25.0

It might not have worked but I feel that that and If The World Should end are the only "amazing" songs in the show...maybe rise above too.

Posted by kyl3fong2 2011-05-20 17:29:59.0

Which song was "Think Again"? I saw the show last week and do not recall what the song sound like or whether or not it was even in the performance I saw. Does anybody have the audio for "Think Again" by any chance?

And I agree, I absolutely LOVE "If The World Should End". And Reeve Carney also gives a commanding performance with his number "Boy Falls From the Sky". My other favorite song is "I Just Can't Walk Away".

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2011-05-20 17:41:29.0

^

They kind of ruined "Boy Falls From the Sky" with the new ending to the song, but it's still pretty good, I guess.

Posted by kyl3fong2 2011-05-20 18:08:40.0

What was the ending to the song like before? I don't know when I saw it and heard Reeve sing it live, the way he sang that song and the ending gave me chills. Had that been the end of the show I probably would have gave him a standing ovation as well haha

But my favorite song still goes to Jennifer Damiano's "If The World Should End". Jen is really really talented.

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2011-05-20 18:15:11.0

^

They took out the long "and you belieeeeeeeeeve" at the end of the song and replaced it with "and you believe, believe, believe, believe, believe, believe... etc." It's kind of silly.

They also sped up "Rise Above," but at least in that instance the new ending to the song is really good.

Posted by kyl3fong2 2011-05-20 20:39:01.0

Oh really? Hmm well nonetheless, Reeve killed it on "Boy Falls From the Sky". He blew me away with that performance of his.

I wish Bono and The Edge wrote more songs like that and "Rise Above" "If The World Should End" for the show. Most of the Green Goblin's songs and the ensemble numbers "D.I.Y. World" "Bullying by Numbers" was just plain unbearable.

Posted by songanddanceman2 2011-05-20 20:46:43.0

Just got a naughty audio of the new version, i do really like many of the numbers in it, the show seems to have more humour and much more sense to it now.

I agree If the World Should End, Rise Above and Boy Falls are great songs

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2011-05-20 20:50:31.0

^

The comedic lines are much more campy and self aware now. I don't really like that aspect as much, but it was like that in the movies too so I guess that's what they were going for.

Posted by songanddanceman2 2011-05-20 20:52:21.0

I just think it gives it more of a feel of fun, the villans deliver most of them and i think its a good balance having those and then the more serious story of Peter and MJ etc

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2011-05-20 21:02:41.0

I still think Peter and MJs relationship is a little confusing. She mentions in one scene that she's not really dating Flash and then suddenly in the second act she and peter are breaking up and I didn't even realize they had gotten together. Although, it could just be a lack of visuals.

Posted by steven22 2011-05-21 00:03:00.0

Anyone have the new official understudy list? I know America Olivo left the cast as an Arachne understudy.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2011-05-21 01:40:30.0

"Turn Off the Dark" sounds soooo much better now. Beofre it sounded like a dreadful dirge, but from what I have heard now, the song is just goregous. It sounds a lot more dreamy and magical, and I love the added dialogue between Arachne and Peter.

Posted by gum 2011-05-21 08:39:40.0

Could anyone please send a link of the new recording or at least give a hint about how to find it? That would be really appreciated thanks.