Amazon Original Kids Series NIKO AND THE SWORD OF LIGHT Premieres on Prime Video 7/21
Amazon today announced its original animated series for kids ages 6-11, NIKO AND THE SWORD OF LIGHT, is scheduled to premiere on July 21 on Prime Video. The new fantasy adventure series-the first Amazon Original to win an Emmy Award for the pilot before the series launch-features THE VOICE talent of Tom Kenny (SpongeBob SquarePants), Andre Robinson (Doc McStuffins), Steve Blum (Star Wars: Rebels), Kevin Michael Richardson (The Penguins of Madagascar), Jim Cummings (Shrek), and Kari Wahlgren (Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness). The pilot is now available to stream exclusively for Prime members via the Amazon Prime Video app for TVs; connected devices, including Fire TV, mobile devices; and online-Prime members can also download the pilot to mobile devices for offline viewing at no additional cost to their membership.
"We're excited for kids and families to enter into Niko's unique, rich world and meaningfully connect with the series characters as they tag along on epic adventures together," said Tara Sorensen, Head of Kids Programming at Amazon Studios. "The series pilot was extremely popular among viewers, who were won over by the show's quirky engaging storylines and humor, and we can't wait to present them with many more exhilarating escapades in Season 1."
Niko and the Sword of Light follows 10-year-old Niko, the last of his kind in a strange, fantastical world, as he embarks on an epic quest to defeat the darkness and bring the light back to his land. Armed with his magic sword, brave Niko journeys to the Cursed Volcano, making new friends and powerful foes along the way, all while uncovering SECRETS about his mysterious past. Based on the motion graphic comic by Imaginism Studios, Inc., the studio behind character and concept designs for Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and Men in Black 3, and Studio NX (The Carrot and Rabbit Show, Tree Fu Tom), Niko and the Sword of Light is animated by Titmouse (Motorcity, Metalocalpyse, Turbo FAST, Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja) and executive produced by Rob Hoegee (Generator Rex, League of Super Evil, Storm Hawks, Teen Titans) who also serves as showrunner.
Below are what customers have said about Niko and the Sword of Light:
- "Best new animated kids show in a long time."
- "This show is amazing!! It provides a rare place where both my son loves it and I love it for him to watch."
- "Watched this with my 4.5 year old daughter and we both LOVED it. She immediately asked to watch the next episode. I love the characters designs and motivations."
- "Great characters and animation featuring young children of color. We are thirsty for this!"
- "Wonderful, imaginative, uplifting."
The Niko and the Sword of Light pilot is currently available to stream and enjoy using the Amazon Prime Video app for TVs; connected devices, including Amazon Fire TV and mobile devices; and online at www.amazon.com/originals. Customers who are not already a Prime member can sign up for a free trial at www.amazon.com/prime. For a list of all Amazon Video compatible devices, visit www.amazon.com/howtostream. Niko and the Sword of Light is also available as part of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, the all-you-can-eat subscription service designed from the ground up for kids. FreeTime Unlimited is available exclusively on Amazon devices, including Amazon Fire TV and Fire tablets, and a year-long subscription is included with every Fire Kids Edition.
About Amazon Originals Kids Programming
In 2014, Amazon Studios began introducing Original Kids Series for Prime Video, kicking off with the Emmy award-winning series, Tumble Leaf, about a delightfully curious blue fox, and his best friend Stick, a quirky caterpillar, as they embark on a fun and nature-filled adventure. Today, customers can enjoy 13 Original Kids Series including Just Add Magic, Annedroids, Dino Dana, Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street, and An American Girl Story which consists of four separate specials. Five additional series are confirmed to debut later this year including Danger & Eggs, Emmy award-winning Niko and the Sword of Light, Emmy award-winning Lost in Oz, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, and If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.
The mission of Amazon's original preschool series is to inspire lifelong creative learning in children beginning at the preschool age. The aim is to validate, maintain and foster young children's creative, joyful, and curious learning spirit through offering core content that is integrated with skills children need now and for the future. This is accomplished by integrating a curriculum thread through all preschool shows including The Stinky & Dirty Show, Creative Galaxy and Wishenpoof, working with established creators and educational advisors that comprise the Thought Leader Board and developing learning experiences that extend beyond the screen. All of this is to give parents confidence that these programs will provide valuable skills and life lessons that children can use in their real life-while being entertaining at the same time.
To date, Amazon Original Kids Series has won numerous awards including 16 Daytime Creative Arts Emmys, 3 Annie Awards, 20 Parent's Choice Awards, 1 Annecy, and many more. Prime Video's growing line-up of award-winning and critically-acclaimed Originals for kids and families are available to stream and enjoy using the Amazon Prime Video app for compatible TVs, connected devices, including Amazon Fire TV and mobile devices, or online at www.amazon.com/kidsoriginals.
About Amazon Video Amazon Video is a premium on-demand entertainment service that offers customers the greatest choice in what to watch and how to watch it. Amazon Video is the only service that provides all of the following:
- Prime Video: Thousands of movies and TV shows, including popular licensed content plus critically-acclaimed and award-winning Amazon Original Series and Movies from Amazon Studios like Transparent, The Man in the High Castle, Love & Friendship, and kids series Tumble Leaf, available for unlimited streaming as part of an Amazon Prime membership. Prime Video is also now available to customers in more than 200 countries and territories around the globe at www.primevideo.com.
- Amazon Channels: Over 100 video subscriptions to networks like HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, PBS KIDS, Acorn TV, and more, available to Amazon Prime members in the US as add-ons to their membership. To view the full list of available channels, visit www.amazon.com/channels.
- Rent or Own: Hundreds of thousands of titles, including new release movies and Current TV shows available for on-demand rental or purchase for all Amazon customers.
- Instant Access: Customers can instantly watch anytime, anywhere through the Amazon Video app on compatible TVs, mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire tablets, or online. For a list of all compatible devices, visit www.amazon.com/howtostream.
- Premium Features: Top features like 4K Ultra HD, High Dynamic Range (HDR) and mobile downloads for offline viewing of select content.
In addition to Prime Video, the Prime membership includes unlimited fast free shipping options across all categories available on Amazon, more than two million songs and thousands of playlists and stations with Prime Music, secure photo storage with Prime Photos, unlimited reading with Prime Reading, unlimited access to a digital audiobook catalog with Audible Channels for Prime, a rotating selection of free digital games and in-game loot with Twitch Prime, early access to select Lightning Deals, exclusive access and discounts to select items, and more. To sign-up for Prime or to find out more, visit: www.amazon.com/prime.
About Amazon Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.