Page: 1

Bette Davis Centenary Celebration Collection

MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This comes out on April 8th. It includes All About Eve, Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte, The Virgin Queen, Phone Call from a Stranger, & The Nanny.

I've never seen Phone Call from a Stranger. Is it a good film?
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've never seen "Phone Call From a Stranger" nor "The Nanny".
I think April 8 is an excellent day for Bette to come out.
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"The Nanny" is great!

Love that one.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
mattonstage Profile Photomattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Phone Call From a Stranger is an interesting film, Bette has a supporting role in that one. Her husband at the time Gary Merrill stars as a man who survives a plane crash and then delivers messages to loved ones of passengers who did not make it. Bette plays one of those he visits. Shelley Winters is one of the passengers.
I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!
jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photojeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They play this movie on Fox Movie Channel, channel 257 on Time Warner Cable. Seriously, it's on at least twice a month....that's where I saw it.
Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's an interesting mix of her films--who came up with that lineup?
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"That's an interesting mix of her films--who came up with that lineup?"

I'm sure it's hard to pick from her catalogue. I think they should have included Jezebel. Neither of her Oscar wins are included.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hm....for me, I would have put THE GREAT LIE or MR. SKEFFINGTON in there
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There's an ongoing Bette dvd box set series in addition to this one.
They are up to volume 3 (in April) and are much more representative of her career.

Bette boxes
....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 3/10/08 at 11:25 AM
MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm just glad that The Virgin Queen, Phone Call from a Stranger, & The Nanny are coming to DVD.
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
same here. I'll buy them individually.
....but the world goes 'round
ahmelie Profile Photoahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jezebel is my favourite Bette Davis performance. Such a mistake to not include it.

I was always fond of Mr. Skeffington as well, but I've not seen The Nanny. And it should definitely have Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley
jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photojeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If you love Bette Davis, the Clearview Cinema on 23rd between 7th and 8th, is showing "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" on April 26th. It will be like a "Rocky Horror" show with the audience saying the lines, a pre-show, etc. I'll be there...
Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis