Edit: Thanks for your all advise! I JUST to booked my trip to SAN FRANCISCO

J*
Updated On: 12/21/08 at 04:42 PM
mauriposa Profile Photomauriposa Profile Photo
mauriposa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To answer your first question:

We spent our honeymoon in San Francisco two summers ago and got along just fine without a car. We walked a lot, took some public transportation, and grabbed a cab once when were were really tired from trekking up and down those hills. Actually, we ended up being glad that we didn't have a car because we didn't have to park on those hills.
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
1. No, you do not need to rent a car. SF is very walkable indeed. Easy buses and trains exist. Get a good travel guide.

2. There is a day trip to Yosemite? I don't know if this is good or not. Do the Muir Woods, they are unbelievable.

3. Sorry, not up on that.

4. Don't be too snobbish about Alcatraz, it looks like the cheesiest of tourist traps but it is actually really really cool, it is much better than you think it is going to be. They've got a really informative recorded walking tour. Give it a shot. The boat ride to and from the island is really nice, great views. Book in advance. The Palace of the Legion of Honor is pretty cool too. If you like the movie VERTIGO, there are assorted locations that are still standing, including the house where James Stewart's character is supposed to live. Check online, you can get more information.

5. I am not up on the gyms in SF. Avoid BEACH BLANKET BABYLON, it is a major tourist trap, pure garbage, I wanted my time and money back, unforgiveable. If you've seen TALES OF THE CITY, you've seen all of BBB that you need to.

6. Sorry, no idea.

7. Me, neither.
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
rosscoe(au) Profile Photorosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow that jetblue fare is pricey.. Jaystar have a great time in SF.
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
jaystarr Profile Photojaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 12/20/08 at 05:05 PM
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Go to the Castro. Have a drink. Look like a tourist. People will talk to you. This was the best part of my last trip.

Look for better airfares. I gave up on the package deals on Orbitz and such and went to the airlines website- found a $200 round trip non stop from American. (That's from Chicago- but still!)

And hotels- man, we got snookered last time. The Hotel was a dump- dirty, old old old (They still had metal keys) but it was RIGHT in Union Square (Across from the Jersey Boys Theater). It looked great on the web. Maybe Elphaba can help- he lives there.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
BigFatBlonde Profile PhotoBigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
5. Are there any gay gym where I could work-out that's kicking between hours of 630 to 8 pm..like NYSC in Chelsea in NYC or BSC in Southend.. I dont want a gym that's alot of suburban people

Jaystarr,

Mama thinks you are something of a darling... but I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed with you on this one.

"I dont want a gym that's alot of suburban people"

Just remember your preference next time a bunch of sububran types get together to make sure "the gays" aren't welcomed at the gym.

I don't mean to scold, sweetie, cause I know you are concerned with everyone respecting everyone.. but that won't happen if we hold the same amount of disdain for "them" as they hold for "us"

.. And I won't even get into what "kicking" is a euphemism for.

That said..

I haven't been to SF in years. The steep inclines make me dizzy and driving impossible.

But I've always wanted to visit the places seen in the film Vertigo. I understand that there was once a Vertigo tour.

If you are a fan of the film, you may want to see if that is still an option.

What great ones do the less will prattle of
Updated On: 3/5/08 at 05:18 PM
jaystarr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 12/20/08 at 05:19 PM
nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Are you flying into SF, or Oakland? Either way, both airports have direct transportation to BART, that will take you right into the city. It's very, very easy.

You don't need a car in SF.....where would you park it, for one thing. And, any hotel that you find, will probably charge around $45 or so to park it......daily. You'll be charged everyday you have the car in their garage. With the F Line, cable cars, buses and cabs, you'll be just fine.

Alcatraz was a really, really nice trip. It's very informative and taking the boat to the island on a nice sunny day, makes it a very enjoyable experience. You'll love it.

When I go to SF, I always stay at The SF Hilton in Union Square. It's centrally located and it's in the middle of the city. I always get a great rate there......around $120 or so. Just ask for the Corp Rate.

Never been to a Gay Pride event. For me personally, just could never understand the reason for it, or the point of it? After all, there's no such thing as a Straight Pride Day, or a White Pride Day, etc. But, that's just me.

As far as a gay gym......does that really matter? How would that change your workout routine? Are the weights and excercises different in a "gay" gym vs. a "straight" gym? Are you going there to work out, or to get a date? Ha, ha.....

The Castro District of SF is very, very small. The main street, off Market Street, is only a few city blocks of shops and cafes. Market Street has a lot of shops and cafes, as well. I would HIGHLY recommend the restaurant 2223. It's on Market Street in The Castro District. The address is 2223 Market Street. The food is fantastic! The chicken entree is to die for..........amazing! 1/2 a chicken in it's natural juices, garlic mashed potatoes, sweet Maui onion rings and green beans. HEAVEN!!!!!

Hope this helps.

Updated On: 3/5/08 at 05:33 PM
jaystarr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 12/20/08 at 05:37 PM
Jilani
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jay - in case you don't want to purchase your plane ticket through Orbitz (I never do - it's rarely the best fare and always charges a commission), the fare for the Alaska Airlines flight you are looking at is $499 per person - and FYI, it is a codeshare operated by American. I rarely go with a package deal unless it's last minute - I'd say buy your plane tickets directly from the Alaska Airlines website and then find a good hotel deal on Hotwire or through Travelaxe.com.

And I agree that you don't need a car within the city.
jaystarr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 12/20/08 at 05:44 PM
nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd bring a light jacket. It can get quite chilly in the evening. During the day, you should be ok. It gets very foggy/cloudy early in the day before sunset a lot. Like any other city, you just never know.

Oh, I understand that you want to work out when you're on vacation. Just struck me as odd that it has to be a gay gym....instead of a straight one......whatever that means? Ha, ha....

Was just on JetBlue and Alaska Air sites. It's $560 r/t p/p...that's a pretty good airfare. Try considering flying into Oakland, as well. Once you're at Oakland Airport, it's very, very easy to get into SF from there. From the terminal, it's a $3, 5 minute bus ride to the BART station. From there, it's $4 and a 20 minute ride into SF. Very, very easy.

I was just in Boston in October and took the bus from Logan, to the underground train station and go off at The Aquarium stop. My hotel was a quick 5 minute walk from there. Very, very easy to get around in Boston.......just like in SF.
Updated On: 3/5/08 at 05:49 PM
jaystarr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Okay.. let me explain this better... well I want to workout..but you know when I workout in a gym in a gay neighborhood like SouthEnd in Boston or Chelsea in NYC...

I seem to feel at ease... vs. working out in a suburban gym like Braintree (in my case)
example...when I see a cute guy.. I have a "bad " tendency to check him out..you know what i mean. its just my instinct....Its really hard to do that...in a gym where there's straight boys.. they will look at me funny...who know what I mean? i guess.. what I am trying to say is.. I want to be at ease or comfortable to be who I am... plus not mention that I wear the tightest tank top in the gym - now that's not a joke!

well.. stupid me.. I forgot its San Francisco...forget ...I made that comment ..silly me re: I am about to book my trip to SAN FRANCISCO and need advise?

J*

Updated On: 3/5/08 at 06:05 PM
Jilani
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
If you take evening flights on the 28th and the 3rd, it's $499 roundtrip on Alaska (operated by American) nonstop to SFO. Only Jetblue has nonstop service betweeen BOS and Oakland, and their lowest fare for those dates is $619 roundtrip.

And yes, I'm procrastinating at work and love planning travel!
jaystarr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have to land San Francisco on the 28th by at least 9 pm.. the least ..remember next day is Gay Pride parade and I have to be up by 8am their time.

As for Gay Pride.. i really wanna see something grand.. the gay pride in Boston (sorry to say) its kinda lame! re: I am about to book my trip to SAN FRANCISCO and need advise? I have been meaning to go to NYC's gay pride..I read in a magazine that one year.. they had a Judy Garland's theme and everyone on float was dressed like Wizard of Oz and all Judy Garland's movie- that's exactly what i mean.. I want some "theatrical".... at least I need to see that in my lifetime!

I really wanna fly Jet Blue bec. I never flew before. Were always flying Delta, United Airlines...and so on.. and everyone was saying how nice is Jet Blue.. I just wanna experience it.... Is it really something else?

BTW- Thanks Jilani- I will check on your recommendation.. I did not know that!

J*

Updated On: 3/5/08 at 06:28 PM
mll85
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
1. You won't need a car. I've done fine getting around the city without one. But if you plan on going outside the city you might need one depending on your destination.

2. I think you can plan a day trip to Yosemite, but in my opinion you should spend more then one day there. I don't know of any coach that will that take you there directly from SF. If you do it, and you don't want to drive, you have a to catch an Amtrak train to Merced and get on a bus that takes you to Yosemite. But do visit Muir Woods.

4. I would say take the trip to Alcatraz. It's an interesting place and the Ferry ride is great on a clear day. But if people are visiting we usually take them around the neighborhoods. So, that would be the Mission District, North Beach, Chinatown, Castro, Pacific Heights, Haight Ashbury, Marina/Presidio. And if the day is clear, go up to Twin Peaks because you can see the whole city from there. And since you're going to be in SF duirng the first Tues and Wed of the month, I know a few museums have free admission on one of those days.

6. For regional theaters check out ACT or Berkley Rep. I know ACT will be having a production of 'Tis Pity She's a Whore
at that time. I'm not sure if Berkely Rep has a production going on at that time, but you should check the website to make sure. And I know you want to visit the Orpheum but as of right now there is no show going on during the dates you're going to be here at any of the SHN theaters. But that could change because they're trying to find a show to replace the one that canceled.

Weather wise, it's usually ranges from low 70s to mid 80s during most of the day with fog in the morning. So you might be able to get away with shorts and t-shirts, but bring a light jacket/sweater with you no matter where you go or dress in light layers. You can never really tell how the weather is going to be in specific neighborhoods. It could be a nice sunny day in one neighborhood but go to another and it's cold and windy.
Updated On: 3/5/08 at 06:31 PM
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jay, I'm PMing you my phone number....call me, we moved from SF to here, can give you some tips.

Remember as Mark Twain said (and I paraphrase) The coldest night he ever experiences was a night in SF in the summer.....
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Revolutionary Profile PhotoRevolutionary Profile Photo
Revolutionary
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jay, did you forget that you started an almost indentical thread on this subject like a month ago? Not nitpicking or anything, but tons of people responded to your questions then, and I just wanted to make sure that you saw those.

You don't need a car because the city is pretty walkable, but if you want to do day trips to Muir Woods, Sausalito, Napa, etc. then you may want to rent a car. You could just rent a car for a couple days. If you plan on just staying in the city than it all depends on your preference. If you plan on taking the bus and trolley around, then buy a 3 or 7 day muni pass, you'll save a lot of money (considering that one way on a trolley is $5).

I probably wouldn't recommend Yosemite if you're planning on day tripping it. It's a beautiful place to visit for a full weekend but not for one day. It takes like 5 hours to get their by car, so by coach it will take a little longer.

Napa's not just for drinkers. It's a beautiful place with tons of great restaurants and wineries are fun to visit even if you don't drink. The Coppola Winery is one of my favorites, there's even a mini museum dedicated to his movies. And you can picnic or walk around any of the wineries or take a free tour and just enjoy the scenery. You'll feel like youre in Tuscany, it's that beautiful.

There are tons of great gyms here, but if you want to go to THE gay gym, check out GOLDS GYM on Market st. I can safely say that's pretty much the one of your dreams.

If you want to stay at an exclusively gay bed and breakfast, check out the Parker Guest House. It's supposedly really cute and famous.

The farmers market on Saturday and Sunday mornings at the Ferry Plaza down on the Embarcadero is a must. So much good organic food and produce, and you can sit right on the pier and people watch while you're snacking. I go every weekend with my dog.

Definitely try to see Tis Pity She's a Whore at the ACT theatre, it's a fabulous play (one of my favorites) and I think this production is going to be excellent. And the ACT theatre is gorgeous.

Little Toyko = not so interesting. It's pretty much dead over there, just a couple Japanese and Korean markets and a movie theatre. Alcatraz is kind of boring yes, but the ferry ride over is really pretty. If you're not into Alcatraz I would suggest taking a ferry across the bay to Sausalito. Ferrys are at fishermans wharf, pier 39.

Crissy Field is also one of my favorite places, I go every weekend. It's a beach and trail with fabulous views of the Golden Gate bridge and Marin headlands. Good for people watching on the weekends, everyone comes out to jog on the trail and run their dogs on the beach.

First Tuesday of the month is free admission at the Museum of Modern Art (great collection), the Legion of Honor (where parts of Vertigo were filmed), the Asian Art Museum, and the De Young Museum (awesome architecture). The first Wednesday of the month is free admission at the Exploritorium and the zoo.

When you're here and if your lost or at a loss for things to do than you can PM me too. And yeah, the weather here is usually around 55-70 degrees year round, so dress accordingly. It gets awfully chilly at night.

Updated On: 3/5/08 at 07:43 PM
luvcaroline Profile Photoluvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
First of all, I'm jealous. LOVE San Fran, there is so much to do.

1. No need for a car. This is a great walking city. Cabs are easy to get if needed. Be sure & try the cable cars. BART is a nice quick trip to Berkeley, if you want to get out of San Fran.

2. Yosemite is absolutely beautiful, but I agree that a day trip would be too rushed, especially since the drive there is so long. Muir Woods is much closer, and you shouldn't miss it. Getting there means you will cross the Golden Gate Bridge, which is an experience that still takes my breath away.

3. Consider trying Priceline or Hotwire for a better hotel deal. Best areas to stay are Convention Center area, Union Square, or Nob Hill. Castro area has some decent inns and B&B's.

4. My opinion is that Alcatraz is a must-see for a first-time visitor. It's a nice half-day visit and very interesting. The boat ride over alone is beautiful. Don't forget to check out the sea lions at Pier 39. They are a real hoot!

5. You really should try to get to the Orpheum. It's a beautiful theater and very comfortable. It's where I saw Mamma Mia for the 1st time.

6. Not sure on this one.

7. Definitely check out Chinatown. We did a really interesting tasting tour of the area, and it was one of the highlights of our last trip (sorry, can't remember the name of the tour company).

Finally, this is one of the best cities to just stroll around, or sit on a park bench (at Union Square, the Embarcadero, Golden Gate Park, Fisherman's Wharf, etc), or just people watch. Have FUN!!!

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Vegetarian food you'll LOVE: http://www.yelp.com/biz/golden-lotus-restaurant-oakland

It's in Oakland, but very close to the BART exit, if you're worried about getting lost.

Also, try Naan & Curry. There's one in Berkeley and several in SF, including one nearly around the corner from the Curran: http://www.yelp.com/biz/naan-n-curry-san-francisco

They're not exclusively vegetarian but are very vegetarian-friendly. (mll85, how could you leave that out?! re: I am about to book my trip to SAN FRANCISCO and need advise? )
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 3/5/08 at 08:04 PM
Wildcard
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As far as gyms, try Gold's in the Castro or 24 Hr on Van Ness.
You will probably be shirtless during the parade but be sure you have a sweatshirt since it gets cold around 4pm.
mll85
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh yes, Naan & Curry, great indian food and cheap. You just smell like a tandori oven after you eat there.
I think most restaurants in the city have some vegetarian options on their menu. But if you want some vegetarian specific ones, you should do a search on http://www.yelp.com
Updated On: 3/5/08 at 08:26 PM
morosco Profile Photomorosco Profile Photo
morosco
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DON'T venture into the Tenderloin District.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tender Nob okay. Tenderloin not.
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt