Page: 1

Botero's Abu Ghraib series

Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Botero's Abu Ghraib series#1
Posted: 3/2/08 at 8:01pm
For those who aren't familiar with this work, it's probably quicker and easier to google the topic than for me to describe it.

Anyway, not one Museum here has shown interest in hanging this show. What is your opinion of this? Where's the liberal side of the art movement in this country?

the Marlboro Gallery in NY had a one month showing of the work, and I missed it. I'm sorry I missed it, although I have mixed feelings about it. Botero has always been one of my favorite artists and regardless of my mixed feelings, he still is.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Botero's Abu Ghraib series#2
Posted: 3/2/08 at 8:47pm
I thought there'd be some interest in discussing this.

That's alright-my eyes are closing anyway!
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Botero's Abu Ghraib series#2
Posted: 3/3/08 at 8:45am
This is an interesting subject. I'm linking to the brief discussion we had on it earlier so that people can reference what's been said...and in the hopes that what's been said will spark additional thoughts. I'm sure I have more to say myself. But I have to get ready for work and will post later.
OLD THREAD
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Botero's Abu Ghraib series#3
Posted: 3/3/08 at 10:01am
thanks, artscallion. I remember we discussed it before and I really thought there would be some interest now also.

Since that last thread, I changed my attitude somewhat. Previously, I was on the fence about how I felt towards Botero's supposed exaggerating what happened at the prison. He himself had mentioned that he created his scenarios by reading some news reports about the atrocities, and not from actual events.

Now that I've seen some of the actual photographs, Botero's work, through the softness and beauty of his style (pointed out to me by a friend here on the boards) almost makes the atrocities seem less violent, if you could imagine that.

I was wondering what anyone thought of the fact that no museum here would show the work.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Botero's Abu Ghraib series#4
Posted: 3/3/08 at 10:45am
Nitsua, I thought you were game for this discussion. What's your view on it?
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Botero's Abu Ghraib series#5
Posted: 3/3/08 at 11:35am
I'm sorry its taken me a while to respond.

I think they won't show them for the same reason people were offended by the imagery of Cloverfield. It was too fresh on their mind.

What he painted was an honest reaction to how he felt after reading the reports. I don't think he painted them to cause controversy. Museum's won't show them for the same reason movies aren't put in movie theatres: the average person probably won't want to see it. They can see it the news. In the paper. Online. But in an art gallery?

They'll be shown in a few years. Maybe after Botero's death. Once this war is over and its tragedies forgotten, they'll be shown.

We might be dead, but people will see it.

(My favorite Botero work is the fat Mona Lisa.)
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Botero's Abu Ghraib series#6
Posted: 3/3/08 at 11:51am
Thanks Nitsua, and love the av!

I wish I were more of an art historian. Then, I might know how many times this has happened-that museums won't show works of political protest. Maybe it's true that in time, this series will be shown and that it's just too early.
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Botero's Abu Ghraib series#7
Posted: 3/3/08 at 11:54am
I love Botero, too, and I think he had good intentions. You know, I'm surprised by my own reaction. I would have thought that precisely BECAUSE his figures are so corpulent and fleshy, everything would become more human. Instead, it left me cold. It seemed cartoonish. Again, I love his stuff and I think the whimsical nature is part of what appeals to me, but I didn't respond in the way I THINK he had hoped most viewers would.

Updated On: 3/3/08 at 11:54 AM
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Botero's Abu Ghraib series#8
Posted: 3/3/08 at 12:07pm
The painting, although beautiful, piss me off. That stuff really happened and I want to do something about it.

I think its just too soon.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Botero's Abu Ghraib series#9
Posted: 3/3/08 at 12:11pm
If it's any comfort, something has been done about it. The men responsible are in prison, or were, or were punished. I don't want to post any incorrect info.
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Botero's Abu Ghraib series#10
Posted: 3/3/08 at 12:17pm
The cynic in me can't believe that every person responsible has been in punished somehow.

In this case, I won't settle for anything less than an eye for en eye.

And the "I just think it's too soon" comment is for the artwork, not punishment.