Roosevelt Island?

cubanpab Profile Photocubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Roosevelt Island?#1
Posted: 3/1/08 at 9:36pm
as i've posted before, we're moving to NYC and i'm trying to find a nice (affordable) and SAFE place for us to live... i have never heard of "Roosevelt Island" before but we just discovered it! but i'm concerned...

1) its close to the city which is awesome
2) it offers beautiful views of manhattan from your apartment
3) the buildings all look clean and safe and new
4) its extremely affordable!!

all those things sound great but when you consider how expensive manhattan (and in many cases many of the boroughs) its odd that this place would have it "all" and yet still be so affordable...

so whats the scoop? whats the deal with roosevelt island?
JerseyGirl2 Profile PhotoJerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#2
Posted: 3/1/08 at 9:37pm
Watch the movie Dark Water. That's all I know about it. re: Roosevelt Island?
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#2
Posted: 3/1/08 at 9:38pm
And Spiderman.
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#3
Posted: 3/1/08 at 9:39pm
lol... well does anyone have any actual advice other than two movies were set on the island?
JerseyGirl2 Profile PhotoJerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#4
Posted: 3/1/08 at 9:40pm
I didn't notice anything in Spiderman besides the hot cop.

<~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just figured we would entertain you until someone with actual information showed up.
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
Updated On: 3/1/08 at 09:40 PM
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#5
Posted: 3/1/08 at 9:55pm
Nothing, as far as I know, except you have to take the short ride on the TRAM across 59th St. I wish I lived there. It's a small island between midtown manhattan and queens. Sort of self contained, but part of the city. Research the TRAM, that's the major thing, especially during rush hours.
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#6
Posted: 3/1/08 at 10:06pm
yeah i mean i'm looking at the apartments online and i'm in love with the sweeping views of manhattan... the way its contained into this small island which allows you to escape the city when you go home... i dunno... just seems too good to be true really.

im going to research this tram thing
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#7
Posted: 3/1/08 at 10:14pm
i'm confused... its saying the island is accessible by subway?
East Village  Profile PhotoEast Village  Profile Photo
East Village
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Roosevelt Island?#8
Posted: 3/2/08 at 12:35pm
Until recently, most apartments on the island were income regulated and you needed to be on a waiting list. A few years ago they started to make luxury market-rate apartments available and of course condos. I'm not sure what's up about the subway situation except folks are always complaining that its a nightmare when the tram goes down...and its not the easiest place to go to-and-fro from once you get home.
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#9
Posted: 3/2/08 at 12:43pm
The rents on RI are no lower than those in midtown Manhattan anymore.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
george95
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#10
Posted: 3/2/08 at 12:53pm
The F train has a stop on Roosevelt Island.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#11
Posted: 3/2/08 at 1:47pm
it does? I thought there was only that tram, that tram that gets so crowded that it's ridiculous......
My partner, a native of Manhattan was surprised there was a subway stop......must have been built after he moved.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#12
Posted: 3/2/08 at 1:56pm
Originally "Welfare Island", it was originally filled with state funded hospitals (regular, mental, geriatric)until the 1960's when it was redeveloped.
nygrl23 Profile Photonygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Roosevelt Island?#13
Posted: 3/2/08 at 2:01pm
A friend of mine lived there--she seemed to like it fine. It's just that residents are utterly dependent on the tram, which can be a pain if there's a delay. Otherwise, she liked it fine. I think she eventually got weary of the tram and moved to Queens.
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#14
Posted: 3/2/08 at 2:02pm
I took the F train out there six or seven years ago, so it's been there at least that long.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#15
Posted: 3/2/08 at 2:04pm
he moved around 1975.....so I would assume that's why we took the tram 3-4 years ago, rather than the subway
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
nygrl23 Profile Photonygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Roosevelt Island?#16
Posted: 3/2/08 at 2:08pm
It's good that there's a train there, too. I guess RI's getting full, along with Inwood.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#17
Posted: 3/2/08 at 2:12pm
It's a little remote from midtown, but probably no more so than Brooklyn, Bronx or Queens and certainly less so than Staten Island. A colleague lived there for 35 years until he retired to North Carolina last year. He was always mixed about it.
george95
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#18
Posted: 3/2/08 at 2:18pm
Yeah apparently it is a newer subway station--opened in October 1989.

And I would hardly call it remote---just 3 subway stops from Rockefeller Center.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#19
Posted: 3/2/08 at 2:20pm
it's easily accessible on the F train. I would be concerned with how easy the commute to Columbia would be though.

and given that Columbia is part of the plan, you really should try to find a place in washington heights or inwood, if not near Columbia.

I just moved to washington heights a month ago and I like it.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#20
Posted: 3/2/08 at 2:30pm
I think what made it feel remote to him was the waiting for the tram and the times when the tram was not working and the walk from the subway stop to his building.

But he drank a lit and would stay in midtown after work, meeting friends for drinks after work or drinks before the theater or a concert or drinks before dinner.

Then he would have to wait for a train or a tram after 11.

I think he would have felt remote wherever he lived.

If your wife is working at Columbia, you should find something large and affordable in Inwood. Then you could take the A train every day and whistle Duke Ellington.
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#21
Posted: 3/3/08 at 9:16am
thanks for all the great advice everyone... i'm looking at washington heights and inwood now... we'll see what i find
BT Profile PhotoBT Profile Photo
BT
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#22
Posted: 3/3/08 at 9:27am
When I saw the subject I thought you mean Roosevelt Island in DC ... living there would involve a tent, though, so I'm glad that isn't what you meant. I'm sure you guys will find the perfect penthouse with sweeping views of the city and room for your personal staff.
I sing for myself. I sing when I want, whenever I want to, just for me. I sing for my own pleasure. Do you understand that?
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#23
Posted: 3/3/08 at 9:42am
lol, yes yes... after we win the megamillion of course
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Roosevelt Island?#24
Posted: 3/3/08 at 2:43pm
It's a nice place. Great buildings, exceptional views, beautiful gardens and trees, a decent restaurant, grocery store, etc. It really isn't much or any cheaper than apartments of the same caliber in Manhattan or elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind living there, but the one HUGE thing for me is the inconvenience. Some days, or even most days - you can get to where you're going rather quickly. However, the F train is one of the worst and it's often not reliable. Late at night, I have waited for the F train for close to 45 minutes. The tram is efficient, but it doesn't run 24 hours a day and also isn't always reliable.

You can rarely get a cab from RI, you have to call a car service to come pick you up. If you take a cab to RI from Manhattan, you have to go into Queens and THEN to RI. Not a huge deal, but it's not cheap.

I know it's easy to fall in love with the views and the quiet and the beautiful buildings, but seriously consider the commute before you do it.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson