Universal health/dental care and why we need it

Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thank God I have a decent job that includes medical/dental benefits.

because of that, I have to pay this month $860 for two crowns, and $750 for a root canal. These are my co-pays after insurance.

If uninsured, the crowns alone would b $3000.

There was a time when $1610 as a copay would have been very hard for me to meet.

I can only imagine what it would feel like to have no dental insurance, or worse......have none and a family to feed.

We are (supposedly) the most educated, richest, and strongest nation on the planet.

There is no reason that EVERYONE should not be able to get the dental or medicaL attention they need.

I never, EVER complain about paying my co-pays, as many cannot afford it....and many have no insurance at all.

If it comes down to feeding your family or fixing your teeth, I am sure teeth takes a backseat.

Universale medical/dental care NOW!

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Or, people could just take care of their teeth and not eat crap.

Then they wouldn't need crowns and root canals.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is there a diet so healthy that it stops tooth decay?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's why I agree with those who advocate for universal healthcare AND prevention/education.

But, yes, we do need universal healthcare/dental.
kooky
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Simply taking care of your teeth ( which we all should do by the way ) does not
guarantee good teeth - - - genetics play a huge part I am very sorry to say. I wish
it were all that simple!
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
exactly, genetics has a great deal to do with it....
Taking care of ones teeth is essential, but certainly not the complete answer
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
We do need universal heath care. Who cares if we pay a bit more in taxes....... we are already paying it in insurance co-pays and priemiums.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"There is no reason that EVERYONE should not be able to get the dental or medicaL attention they need."

First of all, even if everyone had healthcare, that is no guarantee that people will go to the doctor.

Obviously you've never lived paycheck to paycheck. Hillary's idea of taking people's wages will be a disaster. When you are barely making it, the one thing you don't need is the government taking more money.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Obviously you've never lived paycheck to paycheck."

Call me a close reader if you must, but this: "There was a time when $1610 as a copay would have been very hard for me to meet" doesn't exactly lead me to believe that Elphaba's always had a nice big cushion of cash piling around.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"doesn't exactly lead me to believe that Elphaba's always had a nice big cushion of cash piling around."

Then why make it difficult for those who are barely scraping by?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
We can use the tax money we're currently using to pay for a stupid war to pay for universal healthcare.

It's cheaper than war, you know.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And as we've discussed in the past, the US has socialized healthcare in the form of Medicare and Medicaid and neither Democrat nor Republican has been been able to make it work.
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I live paycheck to paycheck because I have to pay a $400 premium each month plus all the co-pays. It wouldnt hurt me if the government raised my taxes a bit if I didn't have to pay that huge ammount to the HMO.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Elphaba, I hear you! I take after my mother, who did not have strong teeth. (Of course I couldn't take after my father, who never had a cavity!)

Anyway, my mother has false teeth now, but I'm trying to avoid that. Without going into details, suffice it to say I have paid for my dentist's condo! I hardly have any teeth which are not currently bridges, root canals, and/or crowns. Since retiring from teaching, I have a very low paying ($1500/year) insurance policy. One visit to the dentist alone costs me about that much.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Hillary's idea of taking people's wages will be a disaster. When you are barely making it, the one thing you don't need is the government taking more money."

I disagree. If people were given the option having social security taken out of their paychecks the majority would vote it down immediately. Because they "need" that extra money now, they would have NO plan in place for when they retire. Not even a shaky one like SS. We'd have a lot of senior citizens out on the streets homeless and dying.

If we are to have universal health care, people (ALL people) are going to have to pay for it.

Otherwise, give up the idea.

I do agree that the government should rethink the budgets spent on war and defense, and a lot can be done with that money. But not everything. We still need a solid defense budget, especially in this day and age... but it's not to be thrown away and squandered the way it has been recently.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There's a lot that can be done to leverage the cost of healthcare. And the issue is no way nearly as black and white as more taxes = better care for all.

What about malpractice insurance? Isn't that one reason Dr.'s rates keep climbing? There should be a cap on the settlements for starters.
....but the world goes 'round
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Elphaba,

Your PM's are blocked.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
peach
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Let me first say that I am very fortunate that I have a good health insurance plan available to me through my employer (I do pay part of the premium, however subsidized, each paycheck).

Universal health care is a good concept in theory, and while I like the idea of it, I'm not yet sold on the fact that it would "work" here in the U.S.

At the same time, I agree that there is no reason that people should not get the medical attention they need.

It's a tough call. Good concept, but I don't see it being successful if/when put into practice. Right now, if I need a medical treatment, I get it, and I appreciate that I can. If healthcare were universal, I don't like the idea that I might be on a waiting list for a procedure, etc.

Updated On: 2/12/08 at 03:39 PM
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"If people were given the option having social security taken out of their paychecks the majority would vote it down immediately."

Do you realize that social security is considered a "benefit" by the government. That means that they don't have to pay it. In the 1950s there were people that were denied social security because they were labeled Communists.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One of the biggest problems with beneficial government systems already in place is the abuse of them.

Welfare, unemployment insurance, and many others are taken advantage of by a handful of greedy people out to get a free lunch. Same thing with the law-suit-happy folks, who with one hefty settlement can bring a shaky but helpful program or nonprofit-funded organization to its knees. They destroy any chance of success for the majority of people who genuinely need help. Such a shame.
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's what I'm saying besty. There needs to be some kind of deterent for "tort malpractice" suits. I don't know, maybe fine the plantiff if he loses the case?
....but the world goes 'round
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"One of the biggest problems with beneficial government systems already in place is the abuse of them."

And yet the government does very little to stop it.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gothampc---and in the caveman days men used to club women over the heads and drag them into caves. Last time I checked we weren't holding benefits away from "Commies" anymore. It's 55 years later, according to my watch.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"It's 55 years later, according to my watch"

Do you understand that the Social Security fund is made up of IOU's? That both parties liberally borrow from the fund and there's nothing actually there?
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Because the Republicans have taken that money for their war.

Why are you blaming 'government' in general, when the problem is the Republicans?
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2