Amy Winehouse on the Grammys

JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#1
Posted: 2/11/08 at 11:44am
So I didn't watch much of the Grammys last night, but I did want to catch Amy Winehouse's performance, since she was the hype du jour. So I tuned in just as they cut to her in London...and I couldn't believe her. Tuneless, nearly comatose, unable to focus or give any sort of a performance. Even the backup singers sounded tone deaf. My boyfriend observed "Wow, this is worse than Brittany!" At the end, they cut back to LA and the crowd seems dazed and confused.

I wake up this morning and all anyone can talk about is how Amy Winehouse stole the show! One reviewer even said she looked beautiful (The song could easily be "They want me to go the Dentist- I said No, no no!"). One article said you could feel her energy radiating halfway around the world and that the audience was blown away, leaping up to give her a standing Ovation.

I already know, I am old and I don't get Amy Winehouse- but beack me up here: She was HORRIBLE, wasn't she?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
SNLMedia Profile PhotoSNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#2
Posted: 2/11/08 at 11:47am
I don't think she was bad compared to Kanye West's performance. He really shouldn't sing.
"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#2
Posted: 2/11/08 at 11:59am
I think Amy is rather polarizing. I find her mesmerizing. But I prefer performers who sing with their hearts, and I thought her performance was so full of emotion. No, her voice is not the prettiest, but give me a heartfelt Amy Winehouse over a slick and overproduced Beyonce any day. Don't get me wrong, I like Beyonce, too, but she is rarely moving.
PEACE.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#3
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:03pm
I want to add that the headline factor seemed to humble her. Compare her to Kayne who seemed to manufacture his performance to elicit tears from the audience. I am not saying he did not feel sad because of his mother's death, but it was all so calculated and staged, right down to his haircut.
PEACE.
erikaamato
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#4
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:06pm
Kanye makes me want to hurl. I thought Amy was mediocre and bizarre. I like that song a lot, but watching her made me extremely uncomfortable.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#5
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:09pm
Joe-I totally agree. I don't get it AT ALL. Folks, this is only my opinion, but to me her appearance is not attractive in any way.She looks a little like my aunt Ruthie. Her singing is also not remarkable to me in any way. I think the song Rehab is cute, but that's as far as it goes. As I mentioned in the other thread, it was more fun watching the three guys in her backup perform.

Her performance was lackluster. I think maybe one reason she gets so much attention is her antics and the wild substance-filled life she supposedly leads.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#6
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:12pm
Based on performances, the evening belonged to Tina Turner. At the age of 68, she put everyone else to shame. Anyone who was scheduled to perform after her should have claimed illness.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#7
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:16pm
I kind of agree with that, madbrian. Although the evening was starstudded, I got a thrill from seeing a lot of the presenters, whom I wished had performed. Many of the actual performances were less than exciting.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#8
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:20pm
I've never been a Tina Turner fan, but there is something extremely satisfying about seeing someone like her work an audience into a frenzy. There is something to be said for the old performers ethics that aren't afraid to work up a sweat when then perform.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#9
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:30pm
I thought Amy and Kanye were fantastic.
DottieD'Luscia Profile PhotoDottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#10
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:34pm
I never heard of her until also into/out of rehab started making the news. After seeing bits and pieces, I just don't care for her....(bites tongue).
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#12
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:47pm
She definitely is a very polarizing figure. I think she's one of the biggest talents to emerge in recent years, and she deserved every one of the awards she won, but I'll definitely admit that it wasn't her best performance. What made me really enjoy it was how healthy (relatively speaking) and happy she looked. You could see exactly how much she loved being able to be up there and do her thing, and her reaction when she won Record of the Year was the most genuine emotion I saw all night.

She does have a very natural talent in the right context. For a much better live performance, check out her "Love is a Losing Game" here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4L9-AvjsB6g
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#13
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:50pm
Winehouse's success is in large part due to her producer...who came up with the sound of Back to Black, and, imo is what makes it so great...the songs are okay, but it's the sound...her vocals are good, but her performance left me cold last night.

I cant call that performance inspiring...I think she just needed to make sissy.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#14
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:51pm
Both her albums are brilliant.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#15
Posted: 2/11/08 at 12:57pm
"I think she just needed to make sissy."

Doodle, I love you! Whenever I say that, people look at me like I'm crazy. They don't know what it means!

And yeah, that's how she looked to me last night.
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#15
Posted: 2/11/08 at 1:00pm
Yes, Mark Ronson was a huge part of what made Back to Black such a success, but Frank, her debut album, is fantastic too. A totally different sound, more stripped-down and jazzy, but still just as good (with some songs that are definitely better than half of BtB).
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#16
Posted: 2/11/08 at 1:06pm
"I think maybe one reason she gets so much attention is her antics and the wild substance-filled life she supposedly leads."

Her album got raves way before her antics/substance-abuse were well-known.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#17
Posted: 2/11/08 at 1:07pm
jane, I decided to bring back that expression.

I didnt mean to imply that Winehouse is not talented, she truly is...but I think her persona is starting to get a bit stagey, and I'm not buying the...sorry to borrow from Miss Jay on ANTM, "broken down doll" and edgy for edginess sake...didnt she have blond hair recently? Why go back to the black rats nest? We wouldnt recognize her, perhaps?

Maybe I'm being cynical...maybe I just need to make sissy.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

xxnewgirlxx Profile Photoxxnewgirlxx Profile Photo
xxnewgirlxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#18
Posted: 2/11/08 at 1:33pm
OK, enlighten me: what does "make sissy" mean?
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#19
Posted: 2/11/08 at 1:34pm
To pee.
cubanpab Profile Photocubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#20
Posted: 2/11/08 at 1:41pm
amy winehouse is not the most beautiful girl, thats true... the girl is also battling many demons right now... but beneath the beehive wigs and crazy drug problems is a woman with an incredible voice. shes a true artist. writes her own music, an amazing throwback old school voice... i thought she was great last night, even tho she wasnt necessarily up to par as shes been in the past.

both her albums are truly incredible. classics. if you want to see her before the crazy weight loss and drug problems, watch this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9waSo0X16nY

singing one of my favorites "stronger than me"... she is the real deal and i hope she gets better so we can have her around for a long time.

another incredible song of hers, this one from back to black:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5LsdEqSQO4

i guess shes not for everyone. to me, she had the best album of the year and was one of the best artists to emerge in a long long time. for her to lose album of the year to herbie hancock was a real tragedy.
Updated On: 2/11/08 at 01:41 PM
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#21
Posted: 2/11/08 at 2:01pm
thanks for the links, cubanpab. I watched it and I could appreciate her more than I did last night. I don't mean to diminish the woman because she's not pretty-I'm saying that I don't find the look that she created for herself to be attractive (maybe that's the point, I don't know).

Her voice on the video was pretty good-sort of sultry and a retro sound that was nice. I liked it, I just don't get the super idolization about her!
erikaamato
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#22
Posted: 2/11/08 at 2:07pm
for her to lose album of the year to herbie hancock was a real tragedy.

An utterly absurd comment. A TRAGEDY????? I think not. A surprise, perhaps. A disappointment to Kanye and Amy Winehouse fans, certainly. But for me, it was the highlight of the entire evening! Hurrah for a true musical legend! An icon. A pioneer. Herbie Hancock rules.
cubanpab Profile Photocubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#23
Posted: 2/11/08 at 2:52pm
utterly absurd??

i think thats what 99.99% of america was saying this morning when they were discussing herbie's win... i can appreciate mr. hancock... i'm a fan myself, but amy winehouse (screw kanye, he doesnt impress me one bit) put out what in my opinion was the best and most original album of the year. this was her night, indicated by the 5 grammy's she had won already! and i think most predicted her or mr. west to win... no one on earth thought herbie had a shot...

it was just dissapointing to see her lose the top prize, when it was so well deserved.

even marc ronson won producer of the year... i mean come on.
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Amy Winehouse on the Grammys#24
Posted: 2/11/08 at 2:52pm
I thought Amy's performance was the highlight of the evening! Its good to see she is on the right track now with her family there to support her... I look forward to seeing what she will put out next =-)