LOST - Season Premiere!!

CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOST - Season Premiere!!#1
Posted: 1/31/08 at 9:04pm
Who's watching???

The past seasons recap was very helpful as I missed half of the episodes so far. What an amazing series. Truely shows how much writers are needed.
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
jasonf Profile Photojasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#2
Posted: 1/31/08 at 11:01pm
Lost is STILL the greatest show on TV. GREAT season premiere that proved once again that the producers have known all along what they were doing. Imagine the chutzpah it would take for writers to open the cans of worms they're opening without knowing where it's going! They've had this series plotted from day one.

SPOILERS TO PREMIERE

* I love that the question now is just as much "what the hell HAPPENED before they left" as "What the hell is the island?"
Imagine if they actually tie those two questions together - like two strings from opposite ends pulling together to one piece.

* We got a couple of great Lost lines to add to the pantheon: "You'd look ridiculous with a beard," and my favorite "Jack, with your permission, I'd like to go with John."

*Anyone else notice Harold Perrineau's name in the opening credits?

* Jacob, Jacob, Jacob.

* So Charlie....dead? In Hurley's head?

* Any reason for the random Ana Lucia shout out other than just for another connection?

* What drives Jack to what we saw in the finale? He seemed fairly well adjusted in tonight's flash forward...

* How great was Jorge Garcia when he told Claire about Charlie?

* Did the island keep Naomi alive long enough to let her fix the phone? How did she manage to crawl away and CLIMB A FRAKKIN TREE!!!???

I'm SO happy Lost is back, even if it's just for a short time!
Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#2
Posted: 1/31/08 at 11:14pm
I loved it. I'm loving the Flash Forward thing. Its like we have 2 stories being told at the same time. The present and the future and we can see where the present is going to end up but we still need to figure out how we get there. So any guesses on who the other 3 are? They mentioned the Oceanic 6 and we saw jack and hurley in this episode and we saw Kate in the finale of season 3.

also, YAY FOR ROSE AND BERNARD i love them. its so great having them around. I missed them for most of last season.

Also, Charlie is CLEARLY dead. As for whether Charlie was in Hurley's head or the Island is not clear.

SPOILERS FOR LATER IN THE SEASON

harold is coming back to the show.

jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#3
Posted: 1/31/08 at 11:20pm
Well, yeah, Charlie is dead - that didn't get worded quite the way I meant it. I was VERY surprised to see him. What I meant was, was he in Hurley's head or was that the island? Maybe - and this thought JUST occurred to me - maybe they DIDN'T actually leave the island! Remember, we saw Jack's dead father walking around back in season one...

I'm wondering also if one of the three end up in the coffin, or is that someone else entirely? (The "Oceanic 6" definitely had a Battlestar Galactica feel - like who are the other Cylons).

Also, what was it that the "Oceanic" lawyer said to Hurley - "Are they dead?" something like that...and man, that guy was creepy!
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#4
Posted: 1/31/08 at 11:25pm
Yeah he asked if they were dead.
singingwendy Profile Photosingingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#5
Posted: 1/31/08 at 11:38pm
Wow...so much new information...so many new issues....what a great episode.....

My question is this....are the flash forwards the actual future or just a possibility of what the future could be? The Jack in tonight's flash forward almost felt like a different Jack than the one from the last flash forward. I'm wondering if we're going to see "what could be" for each character as they make some crucial decison about leaving the island.
antiandrewx Profile Photoantiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#6
Posted: 1/31/08 at 11:51pm
Well Hurley's flashforward was BEFORE Jack's from the season finale. In Hurley's, Jack mentioned how he was planning to grow a beard...
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#7
Posted: 1/31/08 at 11:54pm
antiandrew - I picked up on that also - that's why I'm wondering if we'll get another Jack flashback filling in THAT gap of how he went from what we saw tonight to what we saw last year.

Wendy - interesting idea, but I don't see the producers screwing around with us like that. I've always felt that everything we saw DOES happen - to give us "possibilities" now would negate everything they've shown before by giving them an out of "it could have happened like this." I think we ARE seeing the "6"'s future.
antiandrewx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#8
Posted: 1/31/08 at 11:58pm
Yeah, it'd be pretty interesting to see how he transformed into the Jack we saw on the finale. I wonder how long the gap is, and what could have possibly triggered Jack to become the drug addict that he (now) is.

I love this show!

Also -- any guesses as to who the other 3 of the Oceanic 6 are? I have a feeling Sawyer might be. On the season finale Kate said something to the effect of "he'll start to wonder where I am"...makes me think she might be with Sawyer.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#9
Posted: 1/31/08 at 11:59pm
Jack wasn't that well in this flash forward. We got two major hints as to the fact that the Jack we saw in the season finale was starting to develop in this flash forward: the first one was Jack spiking up his orange juice with some vodka while watching Hugo's chase, the other one was the one about the beard.
I didn't realize the "Oceanic 6" were a group, I guess only 6 of them get back then?
After watching the Season finale about 10 times, I'm pretty sure Michael is the man in the coffin.
Interesting episode. I read that this season would answer a lot of questions and have some major plot twists as well.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#10
Posted: 2/1/08 at 12:02am
ray - I've thought it might be Michael as well. Any specific reasons why you think that?

There's no doubt that Jack's heading down that path from what we saw tonight, but he wasn't NEARLY as bad tonight as what we saw in the finale.

Seriously, is there any doubt this is the best written show on television? THIS is the reason the strike needs to end!
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#11
Posted: 2/1/08 at 12:13am
Jason, there's a few reasons. One, Kate's "why would I go to the funeral?" reaction applies to a character that both her and Jack resent. Two, everyone is going to think that it's Ben or John, and we know the writers love to bait us into thinking something that is never really what it turns out to be. Three, the neighborhood where the funeral was held was mostly populated by African-Americans and the guy from the funeral was a black man. Four, neither John or Ben would leave the island, unlike Michael.
I've watched the episode over and over again and it's the only choice that makes sense to me.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#12
Posted: 2/1/08 at 12:18am
I agree it's not Ben or Locke for the exact reason that you said. I don't know that I buy the reasoning about the neighborhood or the black funeral director. I thought of Michael precisely because of Kate's line - but that got me to thinking that there's a huge gap between what we know and that funeral - it could be ANYONE who might have betrayed them. For all we know, that meeting Ben had with Kate way back when on the beach could have been much more than we know, Kate's in cahoots with him this whole time, and the "he'll be wondering" could refer to Ben and Sawyer could be in the coffin. As far fetched as that would be (though I did always find Kate to be suspicious as hell - and to be honest, her little stunt tonight did nothing to dissuade me of the theory that she's not who she says she is), the pieces do fit for it as a possibility...
wickedrentq Profile Photowickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#13
Posted: 2/1/08 at 9:20am
MAJOR SPOILERS

So I discovered something very interesting on IMDB last night. I wanted to see if the parashooter dude had ever been on the show before, and while that seemed to be know, I did see something very interesting...in last night's episode John Terry guest starred as Christian Shepherd. There's really only one place he could have been the whole episode...

The man in the rocking chair, as many say he looks like that anyway.

So now the question becomes, IS Christian Jacob or is Jacob just taking the form of Christian? The latter doesn't seem to make too much sense, since the island only takes forms to people who know the people and who they matter to.
"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli
romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#14
Posted: 2/1/08 at 9:45am
My take is the Oceanic 6 were the only ones rescued. Obviously Hurley and Jack are feeling some kind of guilt.Did they leave the others on the island to save themselves? Why did Hurley appologize for going with Locke? I was hoping they would answer some questions from last season. Instead, they are already asking new ones.

Is Jacob Jack's father? He was the guy in the rocking chair. Also, if Charley is dead and in Hurley's mind how come the other guy saw him? Take a look at the link below and see what you might have missed written on Charkey's hand. Instead of it saying 'Not Penny's Boat' It says "They Need You".

I still want to know who's funeral were they talking about at the end of last season? Heres a blog which has become my bible to all things LOST.I usually check it out a day after each episode because they pick up on things I missed.

http://losteastereggs.blogspot.com/
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Updated On: 2/1/08 at 09:45 AM
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#15
Posted: 2/1/08 at 11:11am
wickedrentq - The credits said John Tenney was in the episode - but it also listed Harold Perrineau and we definitely didn't see Michael.
antiandrewx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#16
Posted: 2/1/08 at 11:51am
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!

Any guesses as to who the eye belongs to? I still really don't know -- one time I look at it and I'm sure it's Locke, next time I look at it I swear it's Jack. I can't wait to find out.
Revolutionary Profile PhotoRevolutionary Profile Photo
Revolutionary
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#17
Posted: 2/1/08 at 12:01pm
I think however they get off the island will be similar to the way that Michael and Walt got off the island, hence that whole 'Are you going to tell?' thing on the basketball court and the guilt that destroys Jack...

And I thought it was Jacks Dad in the chair. I watched the show this morning because I had to work late last night, and then I went on imdb and found a screencap.

re: LOST - Season Premiere!!

Crazay. And if the eye belonged to Locke, would that be too obvious?
dfwtheatreguy Profile Photodfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#18
Posted: 2/1/08 at 12:53pm
- it was Locke's eye in the window of Jacob's cabin - because Locke knows he is special in relation to Jacob and because Locke immediately showed up right after Hurley fell in the jungle

- i dont think Michael is the man in the coffin simply because Kate said, in the previous flashforward to Jack, "Why would I go to his funeral?" - Michael isn't a bad guy (not yet at least) - someone Kate might have more vitriol to would be Locke or Ben or maybe even Sawyer

- who are the Oceanic Six????? (Jack, Kate, Hurley, ?, ?, ?)
"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#19
Posted: 2/1/08 at 1:52pm
Michael killed Ana Lucia and Libby, released Ben, and left them all in the island. Believe me, they don't care much for him. My guess is they want us to believe it's one of the more high profile morally questionable characters but it won't be Ben or John. My suspicions that it's Michael are stronger since the character is coming back this season.
wickedrentq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#20
Posted: 2/1/08 at 2:17pm
But Jason, Harold is a contracted character, and thus his name appears on every episode even if they're not in said episode. It's like episodes that just focused on Jack, Kate, and Sawyer being captured by the others and no visit to the Lost camp -- all of the actors' names were there.
"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#21
Posted: 2/1/08 at 2:34pm
That's true - but his name wasn't in the credits all last season. Those of us who're more invested in the show know Michael is returning already - but why telegraph his arrival by putting the actor's name in the credits NOW? Same with them keeping Dominic Monaghan's name in - will it be there next week and on and on if he's not going to be on the show - or will he keep popping up?

I'm not arguing that it WASN'T Christian Shepherd - it sure as hell looks like him to me - just saying that the name in the credit doesn't absolutely prove it was him is all.
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#22
Posted: 2/1/08 at 2:36pm
Oh, and something else I noticed rewatching the episode -- in the scene where Hurley is interrogated on the back wall it reads "NO SMOKING" but at least twice during the scene it's very carefully framed to read "NO SMOKI". Is that a hint somehow to "Smokey"?

wickedrentq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#23
Posted: 2/1/08 at 3:24pm
Well I think it's proof enough in the credits, but either way, people are pretty much in agreement that it was Christian Shepherd in the chair.

Also at Lost Easter Eggs, they noticed that in Hurley's vision of "the hooded man" swimming while he was in the police station, it is clearly Charlie and on his hand is written "they need you."

Chloe8585
Understudy
Understudy
re: LOST - Season Premiere!!#24
Posted: 2/1/08 at 3:27pm
so i have never really watched lost but my roommates had it on last night and it looks really good (and ive heard really good things about it). im thinking about trying to catch up online, is that stupid if i saw some of the premier last night? will it be completely ruined? i wasnt really paying attention...