Page: 1

What to watch?

nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What to watch?#1
Posted: 1/21/08 at 8:14pm
Every few days I'll scan through the upcoming movies and record anything that sounds interesting. Trouble is, we never get around to watching them and they clutter our box until we delete them.

Question is, are these movies worth watching:

HELLO, DOLLY!
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
SHOW BOAT
THE COURT JESTER
THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (1940)
THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GREY (1945)
A RAISIN IN THE SUN
THE ISLAND ON BIRD STREET (1997)

If they are, can I get them on DVD? We don't have a VCR or we would record them.

Opinions please!
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Updated On: 1/21/08 at 08:14 PM
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/21/08 at 8:20pm
Updated On: 2/21/09 at 08:20 PM
worrell4077
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What to watch?#2
Posted: 1/21/08 at 8:20pm
I've only seen one of those movies and that was Young Frankenstein and it's really good. It's one of Mel Brook's best films(there are only apparently two and the other is Blazing Saddles).
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What to watch?#3
Posted: 1/21/08 at 8:22pm
I started THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL and while it was good dialogue, there wasn't much to it. Just mom and son talking.

I love the play, and so far, it's a great example of a movie adaptation gone wrong.

Ivan and I will get around to watching YF. I'm mostly asking about everything else.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What to watch?#4
Posted: 1/21/08 at 8:48pm
HELLO, DOLLY! --- A lot of fun. A big frothy musical, and Babs is great. Yes, it's on DVD. I'm always surprised by how much I like the film verison. I think because it's gotten such a bad rap over the years. It's terrific, though!
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN --- also on DVD, and a classic from Mel Brooks. Everyone in it is great.
SHOW BOAT -- which one? The '30s version with Irene Dunne and several from the OBC, or the '50s remake with Grayson and Keel (hell, both are worth watching, but only the '50s remake is currently on DVD). The '30s version has the incredible Helen Morgan who created the role of Julie on Broadway. And this movie made Irene Dunne a film star. She was cast from the touring company of Show Boat.
THE COURT JESTER --- one of the funniest movies ever made. It's a spoof of The Scarlet Pimpernil AND Robin Hood. Aside from being a brilliant Danny Kaye vehicle, it also stars two of Sondheim's leading ladies at their lovliest (and funniest): Angela Lansbury and Glynnis Johns. Great stuff! Just go along for the goofy ride, and you'll have a blast. On DVD.
THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL --- This one will work for you if you've ever longed to "go home." It doen'st matter how old you are, but if that's a yearning desire of yours... to get back to where you started from... this movie will ring true to you. And Page's performance is magnificent. On DVD.
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (1940) --- Even though they jumped time periods and moved the story up about 60 years, it's a GREAT adaptation of the Jane Austen book. Greer Garson and Edna May Oliver are the best, but everyone in it is good, and it's a great production all around. It's on DVD.
THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GREY (1945) --- Haunting, creepy, slick and stylish. Hurd Hatfield will CREEP YOU OUT with his good looks and "cold dead" stare. And Angela Lansbury got her second Oscar nomination for it at the age of 19, in a tragic role. George Sanders is great too, and it also features a young Donna Reed. Not on DVD yet.
A RAISIN IN THE SUN --- a very good film adaptation of a GREAT play. See it for Sidny Poitier, plus Claudia McNeil and Ruby Dee and others recreating their original Broadway performances. Claudia especially is fantastic. It's on DVD.
THE ISLAND ON BIRD STREET (1997) --- haven't seen it. Don't know it.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What to watch?#5
Posted: 1/21/08 at 8:53pm
Thanks, Bestie!
Defying_Gravity_Girl Profile PhotoDefying_Gravity_Girl Profile Photo
Defying_Gravity_Girl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What to watch?#6
Posted: 1/21/08 at 9:19pm
I second YF and A RAISIN IN THE SUN. I love that movie/play, and the movie is really good.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

www.writersinlove.com
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What to watch?#7
Posted: 1/21/08 at 9:38pm
All in all, you have some GREAT movies there.

Hope you can find the time to watch them.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22