Shame on Tom Hanks

Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shame on Tom Hanks#1
Posted: 1/10/08 at 4:46pm
"Actor Tom Hanks is keen to see the Oscar ceremony held as usual, and urged studios to return to the negotiating table to end a writers' strike that threatens to disrupt the climax of Hollywood's awards season."

Don't think about the reasons behind the strike, Tom. Just think about how it affects you.
Link
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#2
Posted: 1/10/08 at 4:48pm
I thought this was gonna be about your just having seen
The DaVinci Code.
....but the world goes 'round
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Good for Tom Hanks#2
Posted: 1/10/08 at 4:49pm
Goth do you even read the stuff you post? Click your own link and read:

"I am a member of the board of governors of the Academy, and we definitely want to put on a great show and honor the films that have come out in the course of the year," he said on the red carpet at the premiere of his film "Charlie Wilson's War."

Hanks said corporate bosses should remember that many people, from carpenters to caterers, were suffering as a result of the strike by about 10,500 Writers Guild of America members over their dispute with major film and TV studios.

"There are caterers and carpenters ... and electricians and gaffers," the 51-year-old said. "There are a lot of people out there associated with the industry, for whom the sooner this work stoppage is over the better.

"I just hope that the big guys who make big decisions up high in their corporate boardrooms and what not get down to honest bargaining and everyone can get back to work."
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#3
Posted: 1/10/08 at 4:49pm
Well, if he can use this as a reason to get them back and talking, then it won't JUST be for the Oscars...

I know Tom is thinking of the BIG picture.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#4
Posted: 1/10/08 at 4:50pm
He realizes that if the writers don't work, the actors don't work.

Everyone needs a paycheck.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on John Stewart, maybe?#5
Posted: 1/10/08 at 4:55pm
If you want to criticize someone, start with John Stewart and Steven Colbert, who despite copious lip service to the striking writers returned to their shows this week, making it THAT MUCH easier for the bosses to non give in to writers demands.

If threatening the Oscar telecast gets the two sides to hammer out am agreement, it's a good thing. I can live without Anne Reinking singing "Ladies Choice."
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#6
Posted: 1/10/08 at 4:55pm
JoeK, he's only doing this because he wants to be big cheese at the Oscars. If he's so worried about jobs of the other people, why hasn't he been pushing all along to get them back to the table?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#7
Posted: 1/10/08 at 4:56pm
It seems pretty obvious who he's holding accountable, and he's one of the few powerful enough to call them on their arrogance and request they come to the table.

All Goth's statement show's me is his own personal bias.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#8
Posted: 1/10/08 at 4:57pm
Oh brother.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#9
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:00pm
"why hasn't he been pushing all along to get them back to the table?"

What makes you think he hasn't been?
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#10
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:01pm
"It seems pretty obvious who he's holding accountable, and he's one of the few powerful enough to call them on their arrogance and request they come to the table."

Or, with the cancellation of the Golden Globes he's crapping his pants that the Oscars will have to do a clip show.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#11
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:05pm
Or he was asked a question and he answered it honestly.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#12
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:07pm
Goth you are especially infuriating today. Did he say that? Did he say ANYTHING like that? Did he talk about himself at all? No, he talked about the impact cancellation would have on (and I quote) "caterers and carpenters ... and electricians and gaffers". And did he say "I wish the stupid writers would get back to work so I can make more money"? No here's what he said: "I just hope that the big guys who make big decisions up high in their corporate boardrooms and what not get down to honest bargaining and everyone can get back to work." THE BIG GUYS. He's blaming the studios and the Producers. Got that?
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#13
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:07pm
"he's only doing this because he wants to be big cheese at the Oscars."

WTF? Where do you get that? Tom has the pull to actually do this. So let him try.

Tom had NEVER been self serving and he's not about to start now. Besides, Tom has already been dubbed 'King Of The Oscars', so how is this going to do more than that?
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#14
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:12pm
"Did he say that? Did he say ANYTHING like that? Did he talk about himself at all? No, he talked about the impact cancellation would have on (and I quote) "caterers and carpenters ... and electricians and gaffers".

In context of THE OSCARS. He's not worried about any of the television shows or movies that are not being made. It's only that THE OSCARS may not go forward.

""The show must go on, that is one of the tenets of everything," Hanks told Reuters in London. I am a member of the board of governors of the Academy, and we definitely want to put on a great show and honor the films that have come out in the course of the year," he said on the red carpet at the premiere of his film "Charlie Wilson's War."
Updated On: 1/10/08 at 05:12 PM
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#15
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:13pm
The Big Cheese at the Oscars?

Well as far as I can tell, Tom's not a front-runner for anything this year. It would hardly be the "Tom Hanks Show."

If you really think his motives are self-serving, don't you think he'd aim a little higher than "Oscar presenter" and "celebrity seat-filler?"

It's not ringing true to me, even when I put on my favorite Shallow Cap.

Tom is tired of the stall in negotiations, and so are many. It's keeping a lot of people out of work right now.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#16
Or maybe it's because he was ASKED about the Oscars.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#17
In Goth's worldview and in the worldview of many people, wealthy people are completely unable to have concerns about "the little people." To show concern for the underpaid and the poor is somehow inherently to be a hypocrite.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#18
ANY reason to get the two sides talking is a good thing.

What, do you just want no one to even try?
mauriposa Profile Photomauriposa Profile Photo
mauriposa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#19
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:15pm
No, Goth. Shame on you.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#20
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:20pm
"In Goth's worldview and in the worldview of many people, wealthy people are completely unable to have concerns about "the little people." To show concern for the underpaid and the poor is somehow inherently to be a hypocrite."

No, I'm not a Democrat.
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#21
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:23pm
*Walks away from the thread, but holding up my middle finger*
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#22
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:24pm
Must be hard to type that way.....
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
bobby_luvs_bway Profile Photobobby_luvs_bway Profile Photo
bobby_luvs_bway
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#23
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:26pm
Well it's clear to me what Mr. Hanks is saying, and he is saying this as a Producer himself. This isn't only about studios, producers come in all shapes and sizes.
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Shame on Tom Hanks#24
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:29pm
I love the way some people twist and turn things to suit their own agendas. You know who you are.