Chris Matthews

mc1227 Profile Photomc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chris Matthews#1
Posted: 1/9/08 at 12:17am
Can someone pull the plug on this dork? I cannot believe this guy is considered a "journalist". I am a Clinton supporter, but this guy is making me nauseous.
The only review of a show that matters is your own.
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Chris Matthews#2
Posted: 1/9/08 at 8:00am
Well, I particularly enjoyed the way he called Deedee Meyers on her revisionist history yesterday, when she tried to say that Hillary was never considered the front runner. As it looked like a Clinton freefall (which turned out to be wrong), her efforts to suggest Hillary was never predicted to be the winner was beyond spin. Love him or hate him, Matthews absolutely did his job in not standing for what was tantamount to a bald-faced lie.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 1/9/08 at 08:00 AM
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Chris Matthews#2
Posted: 1/9/08 at 8:23am
He's a tool of the Karl Rove machine.

His time as a "pundit" is over.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Chris Matthews#3
Posted: 1/9/08 at 9:15am
His homoerotic swoonings over Fred Thompson are hilarious.

"Can you smell the Aqua Velva on this guy?"
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Chris Matthews#4
Posted: 1/9/08 at 9:24am
I watch Hardball every night and, while he's not nearly as detestable as Tucker, he's really starting to get on my nerves. he has it OUT for Hillary, it seems. I usually like him okay but the past few days he's been very frustrating o watch.
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#5
Posted: 1/9/08 at 9:29am
is it possible that subconsciously many of these "journalists" know that a hillary candidacy leaves them with no new dirt? she's been poked, prodded and probed on the national stage for almost 18 years now and there's nothing left for them to expose. i'm clearly cynical enough to think that they're self-serving enough to want fresh meat for their ratings and hillary doesn't give that to them by any stretch of the imagination.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#6
Posted: 1/9/08 at 9:33am
*puts on feminist hat*

Or, maybe it's because she's a woman.

*/feminaziism*
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#7
Posted: 1/9/08 at 12:23pm
I'm with papa on this one.

those sharks will do anything for the ratings.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#8
Posted: 1/9/08 at 12:27pm
here is a great article from salon.com by Rebecca Traister regarding Chris Matthews, Hillary's tears, and the voters in New Hampshire not falling for the medias antics.
The Witch Ain't Dead, and Chris Matthews is a Ding Dong
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#9
Posted: 1/9/08 at 12:38pm
I wasn't watching MSNBC last night, but my mother told me that she saw a correspondent talking to Chris Matthews (ever the MSNBC darling, covering the N.H. primary) about what the blogs and Web sites were already theorizing about Clinton's victory. She brought up the media backlash. "Several of them named Chris Matthews personally." I didn't see it--I wish I had--but my mother said that Chris Matthews was IRATE. He really has it out for Hillary.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#10
Posted: 1/9/08 at 12:48pm
His animus toward her is pathological, much like that of our own HD and Liverpool.

When people see that kind of hatred, it creates sympathy for the victim.

I think the real losers in New Hampshire were the "pundits" and the pollsters.

Their effect on elections has become almost completely negative.
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#11
Posted: 1/9/08 at 1:05pm
"I think the real losers in New Hampshire were the "pundits" and the pollsters."

And that's just the cherry on top! The fact that we now have a true fight in the Democratic primaries is thrilling and we'll actually see which candidate can rise to the top.

But I can't help but feel dizzy over that talking heads total tush-spanking last night. Delicious.
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#12
Posted: 1/9/08 at 1:09pm
Is it on Youtube yet?
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#13
Posted: 1/9/08 at 5:05pm
Just spotted this quote, attributed to Messy Marvin, over on towleroad. Classy. With a capital K.

"I think the Hillary appeal has always been about the mix of toughness and sympathy. Let's not forget, and I'll be brutal, the reason she's a US Senator, the reason she's a candidate for President, the reason she may be a front runner, is that her husband messed around...That's how she got to be a Senator from New York. We keep forgetting it. She didn't win it on her merit, she won because everybody felt, 'My God, this woman stood up under humiliation,' right? That's what happened. That's how it happened. In 1998, she went to NY and campaigned for Chuck Schumer as almost like the grieving widow of absurdity, and she did it so well and courageously. But it was about the humilation of Bill Clinton."
mc1227 Profile Photomc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#14
Posted: 1/9/08 at 7:21pm
Robbie, I totally agree with that. She has withstood more fire from all sides, including Bill, and she's still not only standing but succeeding. That's the kind of person I want as my President.

Borstal, thanks for the link, great article!!!
The only review of a show that matters is your own.
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#15
Posted: 1/9/08 at 8:41pm
Well, I'm a raging Democrat from way back (a teen who worked for McCarthy) and I have it in for her every bit as much as a hothead like Matthews. I cannot believe the all the windy rhetoric devoted to the analysis of her tears, and now the analysis of the analysis of her tears. She beat Obama by 3000 votes in a state where she was expected to beat him by far, far more, double digit points, only ten days ago. (Hey, go back and check, everyone; he closed the gap.) Suddenly, we're supposed to rally around her and do a collective mea culpa because we "called it wrong?" Calling it is the name of this perverse game, and yes, it's thrilling to watch the debate continue, but for many of us who have watched Hillary behave and VOTE as a reactionary white man, we are unapologetically disinterested in her weepy cause.

Despite the widespread blog denunciation of the Dowd piece in the Times today, I stand behind its savvy take on her narcissism and my own desire to see her have to fight -- hard -- to win. (I still say, it won't happen.) She's calculating, self-serving, and her husband did her no favors in the past 72 hours. (Clinton should go home and watch PRIMARY COLORS.) Let the games begin.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#16
Posted: 1/9/08 at 9:30pm
All politicians are narcissists. Only Hillary gets pilloried for it.
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#17
Posted: 1/10/08 at 9:13am
Two letters in the Times today expressed what many of us feel, who are already tired of a response to Hill's tears becoming some new litmas test of loyalty to feminism. One, from a black woman, who reminded us that it's revisionist history to assume a black man gets a pass a woman does not (as a Southerner, I can attest to that, having grown up with separate drinking fountains and rest rooms), and the final one, from a woman who admits to waiting 40 years to vote for a woman for president, only to end up with a unrepentnent hawk:

"I was firmly in Clinton's camp, until she voted for the Iraq war. For me, ingternational peaace trumps national feminism, since it also takes iinto consideration the lives of women and girls in Baghdad and beyond. My question would be, 'Why aren;'t we ready to break the war barrier.'"
n69n Profile Photon69n Profile Photo
n69n
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#18
Posted: 1/10/08 at 9:18am
i am not neccessarily a Hillary supporter, but

Tweety really crossed the line yesterday.
i want to make thngs that count
- George, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#19
Posted: 1/10/08 at 9:29am
Over the past several years, Maureen Dowd has managed to bring up in me the sort of visceral negative response she obviously has toward Hillary. It was back when she was promoting her "Bushworld" book and she turned up on many TV shows I happened to see. The first time I saw her I thought she was doing some sort of parody of a coquettish vixen but I couldn't figure out for what effect. On subsequent shows I realized that this is actually how she presents herself, like she's some sort of fox.

Now, fine. I believe everybody has a right to present him or herself however they want. But I realized that she and Ann Coulter are just opposite sides of the same coin. Their presentation style makes my flesh crawl.

And Maureen has very serious issues with women.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#20
Posted: 1/10/08 at 10:02am
For YEARS I was utterly devoted to Ms. Dowd. I even bought (for a hot second) her Tina Louise with a brain schtick. But something started to creep into my conscious about her that was indefinable. And then, I went back and looked at her 2000 reporting. Her cooing over the masculine, regular guy that W was and her excoriation of the 'wonk' Gore just burns me. At the core.

And I have come to ask myself, 'WHY DON'T WE WANT THE SMARTEST KID IN THE CLASS TO BE PRESIDENT?????'

Do we fear our own inadequacies so much...do we feel so intellectually inferior that we must have a President be 'one of us' instead of the one better than us?
n69n Profile Photon69n Profile Photo
n69n
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#21
Posted: 1/10/08 at 10:09am
robbiej, sorry, i didnt see that you were citing this same Tweety quote above!
didnt mean to step on your toes!
i want to make thngs that count
- George, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#22
Posted: 1/10/08 at 10:11am
In a word robbiej - yes.
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#23
Posted: 1/10/08 at 10:12am
Nice post robbiej....Tina Louise with a brain, brilliant!
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
chris matthews#24
Posted: 1/10/08 at 10:16am
No toes hurt, baby! Thanks for posting the visual representation!!