David Letterman will be making Television history

JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Late night (and Late Night) will be back starting tomorrow. David Letterman has brokered a deal with the striking writers union and will be back with a full staff. Jay & Conan are returning WITHOUT Guild approval and will be "ad-libbing" their shows. Also, the Writers will be picketing and demanding that any unionized TV, Stage and Screen Actor not appear.

That's why Dave has announced he's got Robin Williams and the Cast of Young Frankenstein this week. Jay's got Mike Huckabee and some "surprises." You'll see every big name star make the trip to Dave's couch to browbeat the studios for not resolving this strike. And you'll see Jay Leno frantically booking every novelty act, rising sports star and author he can get his hands on.

I hope Dave beats them like a drum. And I hope there are real consequences for the scabs who cross the picket lines to go on the Tonight Show. Dave's primed to do some excellent work. I'm anxious to see his tirades against pinhead producers and see what legends turn out to support the striking writers.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm with you, Joe. This could be interesting to watch - from afar.
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I normally do not watch Letterman, but will so now just to support the Union.
hermionejuliet Profile Photohermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am so tired of this strike. And Letterman nailing out a deal with the union just goes to show it can be resolved. Blah.

I like Letterman, so I'm looking forward to some new shows!
So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?
mc1227 Profile Photomc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dave is far and away the classiest guy on TV. He knows how to get things done and when to walk away from things he doesn't like. Bravo, Dave!!!
The only review of a show that matters is your own.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"The WGA revealed plans to picket The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Night with Conan O'Brien and Jimmy Kimmel Live. In a letter to its members, the WGA said, "In the case of late-night shows, our strike pressure will be intense and essential in directing political and SAG-member guests to [Late Show with David] Letterman and [Late Late Show with Craig] Ferguson rather than to struck talk shows." "

"Intense and essential." I like the sound of that. And they also single out "Political" guests. This is going to be good.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Letterman also has Hillary as a guest tonight.

While Huck intends to go on Leno. Apparently, he did not realize that the writers gave the OK for the show to go back on the air.

JasonM12480
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The writers need to get over it. They need to grow up, stop hoping for more money that they don't need, and continue with their jobs as before, or get out of a line of work that doesn't seem to bring them any real satisfaction.

Glad these comedians are coming back to TV. Bravo for really showing that the show must go on.
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Edit: Hillary is having a taped opening for Letterman only.*

And Dave has a beard!
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 1/2/08 at 09:20 PM
seymour krelborn Profile Photoseymour krelborn Profile Photo
seymour krelborn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Conan has a beard too!
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Anyone watching? Paul just played the Indiana state song. Not sure why they chose it for tonight.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jason, you really should do a little research before you start pointing fingers. Just because you are bitter that Cavemen won't have any new episodes until the strike ends, there are bigger issues involved. And the WRITERS greed is not really part of it.

PEACE.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jason I had no idea we had any producers among us- what shows do you own?
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"The writers need to get over it. They need to grow up, stop hoping for more money that they don't need, and continue with their jobs as before, or get out of a line of work that doesn't seem to bring them any real satisfaction."

How do you know how much money writers need or don't need? Kind of presumptuous wouldn't you say? And how do you know how much satisfaction they get from writing? Do you expect to be taken seriously when you make statements like that?
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
what sue and jag said.

Really, at least understand the issues before commenting.
....but the world goes 'round
singingbackup Profile Photosingingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Letterman is from Indiana
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Letterman campiagned for years (semi-seriously)to get his alma mater, Ball State, to name their football stadium after him. When that didn't pan out, he simply donated several million dollars to build the David Letterman Media Studies Center for their College of Communications.
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I go to Ball State and have lived my entire life in Indiana. (Reason I knew it was the Indiana State Song.) He donated money to Ball State, but it took a lot of convincing for him to accept the honor of the building being named after him.

Link
Updated On: 1/3/08 at 06:59 PM
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"The writers need to get over it. They need to grow up, stop hoping for more money that they don't need, and continue with their jobs as before, or get out of a line of work that doesn't seem to bring them any real satisfaction."

Working writers only make a few grand per script sold. Out of the thousands movies sold, only a handful are actually produced. Only a few of those are shown in theaters. The others are sent straight to DVD, or never seen at all.

Not every one is an Akiva Goldsman. You need to do your research before you make stupid statements like that, Jason. This strike has nothing to do with greed. The writers want what's rightfully theres. They wrote the script and they should be a cut of the profits.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
jasonf Profile Photojasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
JasonM must be a producer. I haven't heard anyone other than them side against the writers! Were Letterman and Conan's beards symbolic of something? I watched Conan and he joked about it being a "strike beard" -- did Letterman say something similar?
Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
it was a deer beard.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No, Letterman didn't really say anything similar. I think it was supposed to represent the time he has been off the air. His show was ok, I was a bit disappointed that he focused on the strike so much. I was waiting for some of his regular stuff, especially "Great Moments in Presidential Speeches". And maybe some more political humor. Maybe tonight.
Just give the world Love.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"They need to grow up, stop hoping for more money that they don't need, and continue with their jobs as before, or get out of a line of work that doesn't seem to bring them any real satisfaction."

Wow!

'more money that they don't need'?

Who doesn't need money?

It's not like most of them are rich or anything.

Oh, and they only write EVERY WORD that comes out of EVERY ACTORS MOUTH.

Why do some morons think that the actors just make it up as they go?
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well I am a happy camper....we got "...Presidential Speeches". And one might have thought his comment about the ticket prices to Broadway shows may have been directed at Young Frankenstein as he was holding up the Playbill for the show.

Also thought Bill Mahr was very funny. The show seems to have slipped back into its zone. It was a bit off last night. (Yes, I am a huge Letterman fan! I have my nightly tea in my Letterman mug that I got after I went to the show a few years ago.) And I will be laughing about the "Transparent Sluts" thing all day tomorrow. That was too funny.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 1/4/08 at 12:51 AM
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was a little weirded out by Bill Maher and his rampage against western medicine. I hope Dave doesn't heed his advice and stop taking his heart medicine.