What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#1
Posted: 12/24/07 at 2:10pm
Lately, whenever I go to a movie or read a book or something, I tend to ask myself "Without knowing who directed this, could I tell whether it was made by a man or a woman?"

It got me thinking...

What traits are unique to men and which traits are unique to women? Besides the genitals, of course.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
aside from biology, I do not believe there are any. anything you can say to describe a woman, you could find men that would fit that description and vice versa.

what you tend to see are the stereotypes that may or may not be true about a good chunk of one gender.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
well said Jerby
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would agree as well but it just seems like, in art, men and women tend to approach things somewhat differently.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't agree that aside from genitals, men and women are exactly alike.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ok--tell us what the differences are. the unique differences.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm just going to leave it that I think there are many differences.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why do we have to be men and women? Why can't we just be people? It's all much less complicated that way.
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
Broadway Bound2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
very well IHeartMyGeek
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#10
Posted: 12/24/07 at 4:50pm
"uh huh. exactly"

uh huh exactly what, Jerby?
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#11
Posted: 12/24/07 at 4:56pm

"There are major, significant differences between men and women. The differences are different, NOT better or worse."

The topic isn't a matter of opinion, it has pathology. Anyone who even took Psych. 101 knows there are differences. I don't feel like getting into a heated discussion or an argument today, if that's ok.

Please google if you don't think there are any differences!
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#12
Posted: 12/24/07 at 4:57pm
you can't think of a single trait that is unique to men or women.

it's fine if you want to believe that we are different--society sure as heck wants to believe it, often at the expense of one gender or the other but usually women. however, that doesn't make it so.

I should hope that at the very least we can all agree that no one should have to be subjected to the prejudging that comes with believing people are different because of their gender (or race or ethnicity or sexual orientation, etc.)
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#13
Posted: 12/24/07 at 4:58pm
I guess we posted at the same time. It's not a matter of opinion.
iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#14
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:00pm
That's funny, Jane. I was taught in my psych class that gender is socially constructed. Sex is biological, and that involves hormones and obviously our anatomy, but gender and all that it implies is something we are socialized into.

No matter what stereotypes or boxes men or women may be put into (women are more emotional while men can remain strong and objective, for example) there are always exceptions. Not even exceptions so much as differences, because exceptions implies that there's a rule to begin with.
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#15
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:01pm
I feel like no matter what i say someone here is gonna take it wrong, but to some extent you have to acknowledge that hormones inform the behavior of men and women differently.
....but the world goes 'round
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#16
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:02pm

Of course there are exceptions. There are exceptions to everything! We are talking in general.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#17
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:05pm
I said I didn't want to argue, so I'll stop posting here with the statement that of course there are differences, and it's silly to even suggest there aren't. Just google the topic for quick info.
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#18
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:09pm
uh-huh means, that if you don't have the "juevos" to give an answer, don't say there are differences Jane.....have the guts to state your point, or.....don't attempt to make one by using passive-aggressive means...as it never works.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Updated On: 12/24/07 at 05:09 PM
colleen_lee Profile Photocolleen_lee Profile Photo
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#19
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:10pm
I am wondering when you last took Psych also Jane. In the psychological community gender is now seen and treated as a social construction.

The differences which do exist, and can merely be treated as stereotype, exist because of our social construct and not because of the biological predisposition.
"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#20
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:14pm
who is 'arguing' or engaging in a 'heated debate'? besides you, I reckon from those admissions of yours?

and, no, I don't need to google it. I asked you to back up your opinion and you couldn't. and iheart already disproved your psych 101 example as that's what I was taught in psych 101 myself.

tazber is the only one to bring up a possible point. perhaps there are anthropologists who have witnessed UNIQUE traits that came about without societal reinforcements. and I would imagine that anthropologist would deduce that hormones cause humans to behave a certain way.

but the question here is indeed what are those traits that are UNIQUE? No exceptions.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#21
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:14pm
"exist because of our social construct and not because of the biological predisposition".

Thank you!

Elphaba-I don't have the jeuvos? Now that's a laugh-admit it!

Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#22
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:15pm
I don't see any juevos being used at this point by you. I see passive-aggressive nonsense.

(by the way I do love your avatar).
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#23
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:17pm
Thanks, hon. xoxox

Anyway, I just pmd you.
colleen_lee Profile Photocolleen_lee Profile Photo
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: What Traits Are Unique To Men And Women?#24
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:17pm
But that's the point Jane. That's what Jerby is really saying here (from what I understand), is that any "differences" you're able to discern between men and women are purely artificial and can be directly attributed to our atmosphere and that as a result you will find many individuals that do not fit into the societal norm.
"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay