Page: 1

North Carolina Drought Declared Worst In State's History

CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
http://www.ncdrought.org/

I attend a college in NC and even though we are on Winter Break between semesters, rumors are abound that we will not be returning to school...

There is speculation that our school (a private college) would have to send students home if the drought continues to worsen into February. I'm not certain as to why classes wouldn't be allowed to resume, but seeing as this is my senior year, the thought it scary.

When school was still in session last semester, there were rumors that they would be turning off the hot water during certain hours of the day to encourage shorter showers. Also that they would be turning off water altogether during certain hours.

We're doing rain dances down here in the south. Let's get some water falling!
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I drove through north Georgia and Alabama recently and saw lakes that were incredibly low on water and ponds that were completely dry. I've been living in south Georgia (Savannah) and it hasn't been as bad as that there. I did not know North Carolina was in such trouble.
AC126748 Profile PhotoAC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Perhaps I'm becoming dyslexic, but I originally read the title of this thread as "North Carolina declared worst state in history".
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
wow, living in a desert I rarely think of water issues, as we get, at most, maybe 4 days of rain a year......yet always have water......
I'll do my rain dance for you capn.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956