Are Amy Adams and James McAvoy the new Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor?

Michael Bennett Profile PhotoMichael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And should they do the stage production of MOULIN ROUGE?

Seriously, seeing McAvoy in ATONEMENT today and a preview for a comedy starring Frances McDormand and Amy Adams, the comparisons between these actors were eerie.
Broadway Bound2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I thought Amy was brilliant in Enchanted and I haven't seen McAvoy in Atonement yet, but he has been brilliant in everything I have seen him in(Last King Of Scotland & Narnia)
sweetestsiren Profile Photosweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Unless we're talking about the red hair, I don't really see the comparison between Amy Adams and Nicole Kidman. They seem to be very different types, to me. Kidman, while I like her, has a sort of cool aloofness on screen, while Adams radiates warmth.
Michael Bennett Profile PhotoMichael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
She's a warm Nicole Kidman. Check out the trailer for "Miss Pettigrew" and tell me if she doesn't remind you of Nic in MOULIN ROUGE...

http://miss-pettigrew-trailer.blogspot.com/
sweetestsiren
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lee Pace! Aww!

Okay, yes -- point definitely taken on her resemblance to Nicole in that preview.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Those Atonement previews make me want to stick an ice pick in my own temples.

Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Updated On: 12/24/07 at 01:13 AM
Brave Sir Robin2 Profile PhotoBrave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Can McAvoy sing? And who was he in NARNIA?

But right now, Adams is Hollywood gold. She has an Oscar nod from 2006, raves for ENCHANTED and upcoming films like CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR and CHILD IN CHILD.
"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop
ardenfanXD Profile PhotoardenfanXD Profile Photo
ardenfanXD
Understudy
Understudy
Never. Nicole Kidman is simply perfection.
"I'm strong enough to fight and win" -Michael Arden
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
EWWW Why would you ever compare Amy Adams to Nicole Kidman. Adams is a talented, beautiful actress, Kidman is a talentless muppet.
iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
*applauds Liverpool* Thaaaank yooooou.
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Plus, people actually go to Amy Adams' movies. Nicole, not so much.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Amy Adams posted here? WOW.
_LaLuna Profile Photo_LaLuna Profile Photo
_LaLuna
Stand-by
Stand-by
I don't know much of Adams, though I did enjoy her performance in Enchanted, but I must say that while Nicole Kidman isn't my favorite actress or anything, I'd hardly call her talentless. For instance, I thought she was spectacular in The Hours.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Updated On: 12/24/07 at 02:08 AM
buffyactsing Profile Photobuffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OMG, I thought the exact same thing RE Amy Adams in the preview for her movie. She LOOKED and SOUNDED and ACTED (Reminded me of Moulin Rouge in her performance) like a young Nicole Kidman. It was uncanny. I was thinking "did she think "What would Nicole Kidman do" this whole movie?
"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine
Updated On: 12/23/07 at 02:38 AM
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When Nicole Kidman is good, she is ravishing. Just look at THE OTHERS, THE HOURS, MOULIN ROUGE, TO DIE FOR, COLD MOUNTAIN, etc. Unfortunately, lately she has starred in a number of mediocre movies (THE INVASION? BEWITCHED?), but she is incredibly talented.
And I agree that Amy Adams looks, sounds, and moves just like Kidman in MOULIN ROUGE. The costumes help too. Love Adams but I don't think she is anything like Kidman. Adams has a vulnerability that Kidman can rarely bring across.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Miss Elphaba Profile PhotoMiss Elphaba Profile Photo
Miss Elphaba
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
If James Mcavoy CAN sing I'd sell my soul to see him on the west end/broadway or in a musical-film adaption. I've loved him in everything I've seen him in, especially Attonment.

Personally I can't stand Nicole Kidman, especially in Moulin Rouge where Ewan Magreggor (aww) sang and acted her of the screen.
"I trained as a classical actor at Juilliard. I jump at the opportunity to do classical text...But I never in a million years guessed I'd get to play Juliet!"- Michael Arden
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't see how Moulin Rouge will EVER happen on stage with all those licensed songs. I'm sure they're trying, and I'm sure it will fall apart. They'll end up scrapping much if not all of the music.

...and Amy Adams posted here? Cool! What was her screen name?

I got it! Princess2B
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Namo, are you talking about Amy Archer?
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
hermionejuliet Profile Photohermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just don't understand the fascination with Amy Adams. Yes, she was adorable in Enchanted, but I'm not sure that someone else couldn't play the part just as well, and I truly don't see the need for an award nomination!

As for Moulin Rouge - I would love to see it on stage, but I don't think that it will happen either
So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, and I must add that if MOULIN ROUGE ever happened on stage it is Jane Krakowski that should end up playing Satine re: Are Amy Adams and James McAvoy the new Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor?
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
broadway86 Profile Photobroadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Personally I can't stand Nicole Kidman, especially in Moulin Rouge where Ewan Magreggor (aww) sang and acted her of the screen.

I disagree. McGregor's performance certainly merited an Oscar nomination, but Kidman gave what I consider to be a tour de force.
sweetestsiren
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think I must be the only one in the world who isn't crazy about Moulin Rouge.
Updated On: 12/24/07 at 10:12 AM
Bettyboy72 Profile PhotoBettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Amy Adams is perfection! The great thing about her is she is authentic. She's a real woman, she's not pulled, pinched, prodded or enhanced. She is gorgeous, charming and humble and talented beyond belief. I hope she stays that way.

Nicole Kidman started out very authentic but has gotten very wooden and her pulled new face will limit her roles.

It is not surprising that her best work was when her face was covered in prosthetics for The Hours. Her choice in projects is bewildering.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello