Broadway Legend
Liza#51
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:20pm
THE NEW YORK TIMES

November 12 1951

Judy Garland Collapses at Performance;
Taken to Hospital for 'Several Days' Rest'

By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Judy Garland, stage and screen star, collapsed back stage at the Palace Theatre last night and was taken to a hospital on orders of her physician. The physician said she was suffering from "nervous exhaustion" and would have to remain in the hospital for several days.

Miss Garland had appeared during the first part of last night's performance and then reappeared after an extended intermission. She completed three numbers and then asked for water. She appeared ill to members of the audience, but she seemed determined to go on with the performance. Finally she walked off the stage.

The actress was examined immediately by a cardiologist and by her personal physician, Dr. Udall J. Salmon of 875 Fifth Avenue. Although a preliminary examination revealed no heart ailment, Dr. Salmon ordered that the actress be taken to the Le Roy Sanitarium, 40 East Sixty-first Street, for a complete rest.

Miss Garland was taken to the hospital in a private ambulance at 11:30 P.M.

Dr. Salmon said that the actress had gone on stage during the afternoon performance against his advice. He said she had been under a severe strain while appearing at the theatre twice a day and that he had been seriously concerned over her condition.

The physician said that because of her regard for the theatre tradition of "the show must go on" Miss Garland had appeared during the afternoon and attempted to complete the evening performance. Because of her condition Dr. Salmon or an assistant had been in constant attendance at the theater during her appearances.

Miss Garland had scored a personal triumph at the Palace since her opening on Oct. 16. Theatrical critics were unanimous in praise of her performance and the audiences have received it enthusiastically.

After Miss Garland's collapse, Vivian Blaine, one of the stars of the musical stage play "Guys and Dolls," who was a member of the audience, appeared voluntarily on the stage and sang several songs to fill out the performance.
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#52
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:20pm
She's in denial -- she can no longer perform live on stage-- and she needs to accept that.
Updated On: 12/14/07 at 12:20 PM
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#53
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:27pm
I wouldn't go that far, somms, I think she needs to get on Desperate Housewives or Thirty Rock. Give her a nice comic supporting role on network TV. She can still act!
PEACE.
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#54
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:29pm
Point well made and corrected Sueleen. She can act.
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#55
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:29pm
PalJoey, is that Roger Edens picking Judy up off the floor?
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#56
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:36pm
Probably but I can't tell--and I'm not sure if he played for her at that first Palladium stint.
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#57
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:38pm
RFLMAO, pointing to Judy 46 years ago and trying to lay her behavior off on Liza

how lame
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#58
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:41pm
Yawper--you obviously need a greater understanding of and sensitivity toward family-addiction issues.

But why personalize this thread with insults to me? This thread is not about me--or SOMMS, for that matter.
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#59
Posted: 12/14/07 at 12:56pm
I miss Sanitariums. What ever happened to Sanitariums. And rest cures. Sometimes I just need a nice month in a lawn chair with a clean white towel in my lap.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#60
Posted: 12/14/07 at 1:09pm
What's the towel for?
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#61
Posted: 12/14/07 at 1:10pm
artscallion, Amen! and let's go. You, me and Liza!
BTW how's that cough?
roquat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#62
Posted: 12/14/07 at 1:38pm
"She's in denial -- she can no longer perform live on stage-- and she needs to accept that."

I'm not sure she has a choice--I hardly think she's comfortable financially. She may need to go on performing just to survive.

I've always wondered what the hell happened to Nell Carter--after a successful singing career and God knows how many seasons of "Gimme a Break" she still ended up dying bankrupt and alone, with two hundred dollars to her name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#63
Posted: 12/14/07 at 1:50pm
I didn't know that about Nell. Just Wikipedia'd her and, oddly, given this thread, look what came up:

===

Appearing emotional and tearful on an episode of the Sally Jessy Raphael Show, Carter explained how she went to a Liza Minnelli concert during a very turbulent time of her life. Carter told Raphael how Minnelli, seeing Carter in an agonized state, ran offstage to tell her sister, Lorna Luft, to go out and take Carter backstage so that she could get some help. Minnelli and Luft helped get Carter into rehab for her cocaine problems which she conquered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nell_Carter
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#64
Posted: 12/14/07 at 2:28pm
The towel is in case your legs get a chill while you're thinking about liaisons.

Nmartin, the health department just called me. Despite the fact that my doctor told me I probably wasn't contagious at this point, they say I am until I've finished my antibiotics in a week. They've ordered me off campus until then and will be contacting me later today for info on who I've been in contact with. Apparently whooping cough is nothing to sneeze at.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Updated On: 12/14/07 at 02:28 PM
Kalimba Profile PhotoKalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#65
Posted: 12/14/07 at 4:18pm
I will never be able to listen to "Silent Night" the same way after viewing that clip.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#66
Posted: 12/14/07 at 4:24pm
Where are the Vivian Blaines of today, popping out of the audience to fill out a show?
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#67
Posted: 12/14/07 at 4:33pm
Maybe Alexander Gay will be our next Vivian Blaine.
Updated On: 12/14/07 at 04:33 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#68
Posted: 12/14/07 at 4:36pm
Fuhgetchya troubles come on get happy thank you! and chase all your cares away...
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#69
Posted: 12/14/07 at 5:05pm
roquat - Carter had a pretty serious substance abuse problem, I don't know if she ever kicked it.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#70
Posted: 12/14/07 at 6:17pm
Nope, sadly, IT kicked HER.

PEACE.
ScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile PhotoScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile Photo
ScottyDoesn'tKnow
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Liza#71
Posted: 12/15/07 at 2:28am
I remembered that she was on that tv show "Hangin' with Mr. Cooper" for a few seasons (may have only been one or two).
"[Gore] was widely perceived as arrogant. If you know something, you're not smart. You're a smarty-pants. It's annoying. People get annoyed with your knowledge. It goes back to high school, to not doing your homework ... 'There's something I should know, I don't know why I should know it but someone knows it and I don't. So I'm going to have to make fun of him now.'" -Sarah Vowell, The Partly-Cloudy Patriot
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#72
Posted: 12/17/07 at 8:50pm
Whoever allowed her onstage should be tried for torture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU5Sv3gc83g
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#73
Posted: 12/17/07 at 9:12pm
I love my Liza. And have seen her recent tour a few times and have found her to be in good shape and putting on a great show. But this is bad. She must have been so sick she was delirious. If that is the case.. someone in her camp must have kept her from going on.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
DottieD'Luscia Profile PhotoDottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#74
Posted: 12/17/07 at 9:15pm
Oh my, is that the way she sounds or is it the quality (or lack thereof) of the tape?
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liza#75
Posted: 12/17/07 at 9:17pm
Must be a combo. Hope she recovers soon.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!