Page: 1

Canadian PSA Goes Too Far?

Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Canadian PSA Goes Too Far?#1
Posted: 12/10/07 at 3:38pm
This Canadian Domestic Violence PSA never made it on the air because it was considered too violent and shocking. Does it go too far? SHOULD a PSA like this go too far?

Discuss.

Canadian PSA
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali
Updated On: 12/10/07 at 03:38 PM
gymdudeva
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#2
Posted: 12/10/07 at 3:42pm
I just don't think it would be very effective. I see the point, but I don't think it will change anyone's behavior.

However, if it would do some good....I don't think it goes too far, except can you use that word on Cnadian TV???
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#2
Posted: 12/10/07 at 3:45pm
Apparently so. It's interesting that it (the message, I mean) speaks to the male and not the female.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali
orangeskittles Profile Photoorangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#3
Posted: 12/10/07 at 3:51pm
You can use bitch on American TV.

I don't think it's too shocking or violent in comparison to the content of many primetime shows.
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#4
Posted: 12/10/07 at 3:52pm
I don't think it'd work.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#5
Posted: 12/10/07 at 3:56pm
This one from Australia is better...if such a word could be used.

U.S. PSAs have become so tame or maybe they always were....anthropomorphic dogs telling you to stop smoking pot? Please.
Australian Domestic Violence PSA
jenna2 Profile Photojenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#6
Posted: 12/10/07 at 3:57pm
I actually work with an organization that works alongside HomeFront. This spot (along with another) were originally supposed to air on television, but were not approved and are now only available online.

From their website:

"Different points of view

Television Industry Standards Group

These 30-second TV spots produced in 2003 were not approved for air on Canadian television stations, even though the advertising agency, Ogilvy and Mather, consulted with the industry standards committee during production. In the end, the industry standards group said they were too violent.

Frontline Police Officers

Police officers who acted as advisors for the production had a different view. They said the spots were mild compared to what they see on the front lines every day when it comes to domestic violence. They believed the spots should show more violent cases of abuse.

HomeFront’s View

HomeFront believes the spots should be shown to raise awareness about a serious problem affecting the lives of too many people at every socio-economic level and from the many cultures in our communities. The problem knows no boundary.
A bold and innovative television public awareness campaign about domestic violence will not be shown on Calgary television stations due to an unfavourable ruling from the Television Bureau of Canada (TVB).

The TVB denied the HomeFront Society of Calgary approval to run the two public service announcements because they were deemed too graphic according to their Telecaster Guidelines. Given the failure to receive TVB approval, local Calgary televisions stations have decided not to run the PSAs (public service announcements).

“The purpose of the PSAs is to shine a light on domestic abuse by putting domestic violence situations in public places where it would not be tolerated.”
With the support of Ogilvy & Mather Calgary, HomeFront appealed the TVB’s decision."

http://www.homefrontcalgary.com/tvspots.htm
Call the understudy / I can't go on tonight / I'm drinking with my buddy / I'm getting good and tight / Before they raise the curtain I'll be higher than a kite / So call the understudy I can't go on tonight
Updated On: 12/10/07 at 03:57 PM
Tag Profile PhotoTag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#7
Posted: 12/10/07 at 4:05pm
Americans would be surprised at what can be seen on Canadian TV. We aren't as conservative, prude, closed-minded...
jenna2 Profile Photojenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#8
Posted: 12/10/07 at 4:13pm
Tag's right. And the best part is, most of the nudity and swearing can be found on the Government-funded CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation).
Call the understudy / I can't go on tonight / I'm drinking with my buddy / I'm getting good and tight / Before they raise the curtain I'll be higher than a kite / So call the understudy I can't go on tonight
AlexanderB Profile PhotoAlexanderB Profile Photo
AlexanderB
Understudy
Understudy
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#9
Posted: 12/10/07 at 4:48pm
I agree that such an extreme commercial doesn't really get the point across, but the sad truth is that none of them do. One either knows/doesn't know that domestic abuse is a bad thing. To an abusive man, this commerical would be just as effective as a much more mild commercial.
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#10
Posted: 12/10/07 at 4:51pm
I seriously thoguht it was a joke until the serious voice came on at the end.
....but the world goes 'round
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#11
Posted: 12/10/07 at 4:53pm
Was that for real?

Hot coffee across the titties can hurt!
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#12
Posted: 12/10/07 at 4:55pm
Don't get me wrong, obviously domestic violnce is horrible, but that spot was unintentionally funny.

....but the world goes 'round
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#13
Posted: 12/10/07 at 7:33pm
coffee + boobies = funny
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Mistress Overdone Profile PhotoMistress Overdone Profile Photo
Mistress Overdone
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Canadian PSA Goes Too Far#14
Posted: 12/10/07 at 8:17pm
Yes, because skin burns are HILARIOUS.