Page: 1

Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?

DayDreamer Profile PhotoDayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#1
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:25pm
I just did a double take - I have the tv on for noise and heard something about a "Celebrity Rehab" tv show. I thought I must've misheard - but no, there is a show of B-listers going to rehab on national tv. Losing weight is one thing, but rehab? Am I just old?
Celebrity Rehad with Dr. Drew
Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#2
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:42pm
Some of the celebrities were Brigitte Nelson (alcohol), one of the Baldwin brothers (I think he was the one in the weight loss one too) and the guy from Taxi - I think he was the mechanic. Don't remember who the other people were ...
Celebrate Life

Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#2
Posted: 11/26/07 at 11:13pm
no you aren't old, you just have taste.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#3
Posted: 11/26/07 at 11:40pm
If this helps just ONE addict realize they are NOT ALONE and there is HELP available and most importantly if it will give Lief Garret just one more chance to grab the big brass ring of fame, I don't see how anyone can object.

Besides, I think Dr. Drew is kinda sweet.

Actually, it COULD be done in a way that might be informative and inspiring as long as they keep the "Surreal life" aspect at a minimum. Maybe if Oprah got involved? But you just know there will be some episode where the Baldwin sneaks booze into the house after hours and they all end up puking in the hot tub...then they have to face each other in the morning...

WHEN DOES IT START? I GOTTA SET THE DVR!
PEACE.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#4
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:27am
"and the guy from Taxi - I think he was the mechanic."

Uhm, that was Andy Kaufman, and he's been dead for YEARS now.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#5
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:30am
I think they mean Jeff Connaway, the guy from Grease!
PEACE.
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#6
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:31am
Oh, THAT mess.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
mattonstage Profile Photomattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
They could probably just fill the whole show with former Surreal Life and Celeb Fitness people. I just find the whole thing so sad, taking such a personal problem and trying to fix it in front of the whole of the VH1 audience.
I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just when you think TV couldn't sink any lower....
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#9
Posted: 11/27/07 at 10:48am
Exactly, matt. Some of those Surreal Life seasons could have been subtitled "D-Listers on the Edge of Rehab".
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#10
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:32pm
This is an interesting idea, but you know someone--probably Conaway--will try to make a big "play" for the cameras so he'll get more screentime, there will be a lot of "conflict" and the whole thing will turn into sensationalistic sh*t.

Call me optimistic, but I think people have gotten over the reality show hump. Even here! Anyone notice how there's no I Love New York 2 thread? Or a Tila Tequila thread? Or The Bachelor? Or...
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#11
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:37pm
And with Connaway and that Baldwin brother, it's gonna get all kinds of Christ-ey in there!
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#12
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:38pm
"and the whole thing will turn into sensationalistic sh*t."

Turn into? Isn't that the whole idea to begin with?
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#13
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:40pm
I think its Big-N-Lumpy Baldwin who is the addict in the fam, not Blonde-N-Dippy Baldwin who got jazzed for Jesus.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#14
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:42pm
Maybe, just MAYBE, they need everyone watching them, so they don't slide back into whatever they were doing wrong in the first place.

But it IS creepy.
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#15
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:43pm
In the thing I saw last night they already showed someone very dramatically being taken to the ER. It might have been Conaway.
Celebrate Life

Wilhelmina  Profile PhotoWilhelmina  Profile Photo
Wilhelmina
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#16
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:43pm
Thank goodness! Voiceanth has another reason to live.
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#17
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:44pm
Really, Diva? It doesn't seem to be working for Lindsay and Britney and all the others who we've seen go to rehab and come back out and go right back into the behavior.
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#18
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:45pm
Oooh! Do you think they'll show them pumping his stomach?? I can't wait to watch now!

Oh and I think they already tried this once on VH1 (where else?) with Tom Sizemore.
Updated On: 11/27/07 at 12:45 PM
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#19
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:46pm
But they aren't having their treatment filmed.

I dunno, I think the Lindsey's and Brintney's are only going into rehab because they are being forced. If these guys are doing it on their own, and not being ordered by a court, MAYBE it's just the kind of support they need.

I'm just saying...
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#20
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:54pm
You don't think there's any kind of ulterior motive to doing it on TV? They're addicted to fame as well as drugs/alcohol.
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#21
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:56pm
Ok. I'm a hypocrite, I admit it. Now I'm strangely fascinated ... I'm certain I will not watch, but still ...
A "Celebrity Rehab" Emergency
Celebrate Life

doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#22
Posted: 11/27/07 at 1:21pm
oh please...y'all will watch but tell everyone you were watching pbs or reading.

The reason there is no I Love NY2 threads? It really stinks...but as soon as they come up with another Charm School? Look out!

Jeff Conaway already had to leave Celebrity Fit Club a while ago, so this is great. He was denying that he was using, but it was so obvious.

Fit Club was pretty well done, and several celebs did a fine job (Tina Yothers and Maureen McCormick being two of the biggest losers.) There was, however, a loose cannon on each season, and two of them are on this show. Where are Willy Ames and Dustin Diamond?
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Celebrity Rehab: Reality TV gone to far?#23
Posted: 11/27/07 at 1:28pm
"They're addicted to fame as well as drugs/alcohol"

Well, that goes without saying.

I just think the mentality is, "What's the point of doing it on my own, because no one cares."

There was a line from the Nichole Kidman movie 'To Die For' that pops into my head, something along the lines of 'If what you are doing isn't being watched by everyone else, then what's the point?'