A question for children of the 70's/Early 80's. (I FOUND IT!)

mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm going to sound like a crazy person...

Do any of you remember a PBS childrens show featuring a woman and puppets?

I remember a portion of the show that was like "Hee-Haw"; with a large garishly painted wall with doors, and the puppets would open the door, stick their heads out, tell a joke and close them.

Towards the episodes end, the woman would sit on a blue-screen cloud and read letters from viewers. (and I think wave at the kids from above.)

During the end credits, a wagon would go past the screen pulled by these marionette horses.

That is all I remember. Faint outlines of this show that must have been in reruns by the time I saw it.

I must have been very young when they aired.

Anyone know its name?

UPDATE: "THE FROOZLES" aka "THE LAND OF FROOZE" !!!

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
Updated On: 1/24/08 at 12:31 AM
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The only person I can remember (going back to the 60's?) is Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop.
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
nah this show wasn't even one-tenth the quality of Shari Lewis.
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
upon further thinking - I believe the woman was flying and pointing to viewers homes down below.

This show sounds so f'd up.

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"
Updated On: 11/18/07 at 02:12 AM
zepka102 Profile Photozepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd say you were imagining it, but most shows in that time period were messed up.
::bust a move::
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
so many children's shows seem like they are on acid though.

What was that one with the gelatinous masses of goo the sing nonsense?
The Boobles or something like that
....but the world goes 'round
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You just want to see me in a straight-jacket.

But I know it was real, because it came on right before Mr. Mihuta's Art Chest.
-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't remember that one, Taz.
-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was being toally serious:
click on the blobs!
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ohh those things. I thought you were describing a show while we were growing up.
-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"
zepka102 Profile Photozepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
EDIT: Nevermiiiiiiiiind.... Taz beat me.

::bust a move::
Updated On: 11/18/07 at 02:23 AM
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lol, that's exactly what I was talking about!

Matty, it wasn't puffenstuff was it?
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nope.

but it was in that family (and by family, I mean drug-inducing) - only not sid and marty, and no where near teh production value.
-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"
lstbutifulgrl2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i'm trying to think of the shows i watched as a kid.

um, you already said Lamb Chop.

Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
Capitan Kangaroo
Romper Room
Fraggle Rock
"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
mateo---what you're describing sounds like a local or regional show. Not a national one.

What area did you grow up in? You'd probably have better luck targeting '70s and '80s kids who grew up there.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
May be "Kukla, Fran, and Ollie"? But that was earlier than the 70's, and more of my siblings generation.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Updated On: 11/18/07 at 10:59 AM
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I also wondered if it might be Kukla, Fran and Ollie.
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If I'm too young to have watched Kukla Fran and Ollie, Mateo certainly was!

But you can see how they influenced Sid and Marty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IvsHAGQRtA
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just looked up "Kukla, Fran, and Ollie," and that is not it. Thanks though!

Bestie- I grew up in the Los Angeles area. So, it may have been local - but I swear the woman would read fan mail or give "shout outs" to kids in different states.
-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
IT sounds like the end of Romper Room- which was produced in many cities for local broadcast starting in the 60's- it ended with the hostess looking through a "Magic mirror" she held up and calling out to the kids watching her "I see Bobby and Leeane and Marty and Jill & Tony..."

I used to give her the "Finger" and hope she'd yell at me.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
jasonf Profile Photojasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It sounds like Romper Room to me too. Joe described it exactly as I remember.

http://www.tvparty.com/lostromper.html
Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.
Link Larkin Wanabe Profile PhotoLink Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mateo,

I feel your pain in not being able to identify a beloved show form your childhood. I have been trying to track down a show for YEARS, to no avail. It aired around '87-'88 and was about two siblings (and older sister and younger brother) who had an amulet to transport them back and forth between a magical land. It was live-action, but the creatures in this land were Jim Henson-esque puppets, although I don't think it was Jim Henson.

Akiva
jasonf Profile Photojasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.
lstbutifulgrl2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
it really does sound like romper room.

i was on romper room. :)
"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I looked up romper room - and that is not it. although the whole magnifying glass-thing is similar.

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"