why are gay men just like teenage girls???

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photodfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
why are gay men just like teenage girls???#1
Posted: 10/28/07 at 12:32pm
why is the stereotype more true than not? we are judgemental, manipulative, petty and just plain mean - sometimes it feels like i am living in "mean girls" with penises.

oy!
"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Remember, when you point your finger, there are three other fingers pointing back.
dfwtheatreguy Profile Photodfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
no one is fingering me (unfortunately).
"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Like, OMG! Did you HEAR what that Bitch just SAID?!?!?

I am SO not letting him come near me, EVER! Like I'd let anyone who dresses like that near me in the first place.
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Maybe you should change the title to "some gay men". I am gay and my friends and I don't fall into any of the categories you mentioned!
Just give the world Love.
iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Kay, first off, I take offense at your generalization that all teenage girls are "judgemental, manipulative, petty and just plain mean". I am a teenage girl and while I can be those things at times I know a lot of people outside of my gender and age group that posseess those qualities equally, if not moreso, than I or any of my friends.

Secondly, don't stereotype. All human beings act that way at one point or another in their life, it's not just one specific group.
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The stereotype is not more true than not. I strongly suggest you seek out the work of author/activist Dave Nimmons for its ability to shift your perspective on such issues. It can be life-changing.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
DBillyP Profile PhotoDBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow, namo, I am surprised to see someone else cite Nimmons. My boss swears by The Soul Beneath the Skin.
"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know I will get flack for this, but dfw, those traits that you mentioned I find more prevelant in the younger gay community. Guys in their 20's. Mostly early 20's.

Ok...you can rip me apart now!
Updated On: 10/28/07 at 12:49 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not going to rip you apart. I'm just going to gently point you in the direction of the book DBillP cites, and to tell you to let the younger generation off the hook.

Like everybody else, they grew up in a culture that generates cynicism. They also grew up with the fabulous role models of Will and Jack, who in the real world would have no reason to even be friends, since the majority of what they ever said to each other on that show was done so in the language of cruelty.

I also think you should give yourself a break. Instead of worrying about "how gay men are" or spending an inordinate amount of time on "how did gay men get to be so horrible?," it might feel better to ask, "what am I going to do to help make things better from this moment on?"
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oops! Namo, my sincere apologies. I was not paying attention and meant to direct that to the original poster. I will edit my post.
folkyboy Profile Photofolkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"'Kay, first off, I take offense at your generalization"

apparently iHeartGeek is an African American Teenage Girl
chris d
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'm gay and I'm like totally not like a teenage girl, okay??
Chita1933 Profile PhotoChita1933 Profile Photo
Chita1933
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Manifest Love:
Our Mission Statement

We educate, support and inspire gay men to seek new ways of being with and for each other. We encourage gay men to understand and embody the best, most powerful and transformative values we bring to culture: non-violence, the brotherhood of deep friendship, sexual celebration, service and nurturance, new forms of intimacy with women, and pursuit of diverse forms of ecstatic union. We believe that different kinds of queer men, working together, can shape a more loving, affectionate, and affirming world, for ourselves and others. That's our mission. What's yours?

Manifest Love Homepage

Click on my profile and watch Chita Rivera "Put On A Happy Face"

Updated On: 10/28/07 at 04:54 PM
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Soul Beneath the Skin."

Just ordered it at Abebooks for $1.00

Does anyone remember the other book people were recommending here a few months ago about coming to terms with yourself as a gay man? I work with a kid who's having a rough time of it. People here were glowing about this particular book and I'd like to recommend it to him.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ugh, Chita, it might have been fun to let people go discover it on their own instead of leading the water to the horses, but whatever.
Chita1933
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
This thread brings up some interesting thoughts. It seems that when I attack a gay man on the basis of his sexuality, I am engaging in a certain level of self hatred.

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Trying out new ways of looking at the world does not mean giving up critical thinking skills or, most importantly, suffering fools gladly.
Chita1933
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
It was my way of contributing to the thread. It won't stop someone from digging deeper if they choose to do so.

Updated On: 10/28/07 at 05:25 PM
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
Gay Men - Where Are We Going?#19
Posted: 10/28/07 at 5:36pm
I'm reminded of Act Two, Scene Four of The Heidi Chronicles, where the title character lambasts the group of women in the locker room. I've always wondered how if the character realized how judgey she actually was, despite all her protestations to the contrary. With a little pronoun change it sounds like the same speech many a gay man has made when he realizes the gay community is never gonna be the big happy family he thought it would.

I'm sorry. I'm sorry I don't wear leather pants. I'm sorry I don't eat brown rice. I'm sorry I don't want to stand naked and discuss Zeus sneakers. I'm sorry I don't want you to find out that I'm worthless. And superior. I'm embarrassed - no, humiliated in front of every woman in that room. I'm envying women I don't even know. I'm envying women I don't even like...

I don't blame the ladies in the locker room for how I feel. We're all concerned, intelligent, good women. I don't blame any of us. It's just that I feel stranded. And I thought the whole point was that we wouldn't feel stranded. I thought the point was that we were all in this together.

DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gay Men - Where Are We Going?#20
Posted: 10/28/07 at 5:42pm
"With a little pronoun change"

I'd also change 'locker room' to 'steam room' Gay Men - Where Are We Going?
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gay Men - Where Are We Going?#21
Posted: 10/28/07 at 5:43pm
Phyllis, that was very interesting. Perhaps it all boils down to "every man is an island."
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
Gay Men - Where Are We Going?#22
Posted: 10/28/07 at 5:47pm
I never go in the steam room. I broke the stereotype.

And for the record, I can be judgemental, manipulative, petty and just plain mean. I can also be kind, generous and warm. Neither set of traits has much to do with the fact that I'm gay.

ETA: Thanks, Jane. The man thrust of that speech comes when Heidi realizes that she doesn't have to compete with the other women in the locker room. I think that's the a lesson that anyone, gay or straight, should learn as soon as possible.

Updated On: 10/28/07 at 05:47 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gay Men - Where Are We Going?#23
Posted: 10/28/07 at 5:51pm
Check out the Nimmons work, Phyl'. He goes over the parts of the story that get left out of the traditional narrative we all usually stick to. There are some delightfully surprising statistics in there.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
Gay Men - Where Are We Going?#24
Posted: 10/28/07 at 5:57pm
It's already on my to-read list!