You gotta love your local Starbucks!

Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You gotta love your local Starbucks!#1
Posted: 10/24/07 at 11:55am
Starbucks does serve a purpose, even if you don't like coffee or are against them for political reasons. It can be:

1. A place to plug in your computer, take up an entire table, stay there for the whole day, spend no money and no one will bother you for doing it.

2.A place to meet up with friends on your way to your destination.

3.A place to make business transactions.

4. A place to run lines with fellow actors.

5. A place to write papers.

6. A safe place to meet a blind date without committing to an entire evening (or afternoon).

7. A place to break up with someone. Or propose to them.

And probably the most important usage of a Starbucks-

8. A public bathroom.

I'm in the Starbucks near the theater every day on the way to work, and I've noticed all of the above taking place, plus, I'm sure, lots of other things going on!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#2
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:00pm
AND numbers 3 and 8 are often the same.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#2
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:03pm
I'm a 2, 6 and 8 guy. Now, if only they would call their damned cups small, medium and large, I'd be a very happy camper.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#3
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:06pm
#1 has always floored me. If I was a manager of a store and someone came in and bought a cup of coffee, and then proceeds to set up an office space to work all day long, there would be problems.

The one down the street seems to be filled with folks with no work space.

Someone needs to charge Ms. Perez Hilton some rent.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#4
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:10pm
I once inquired about number 1, and why people were permitted to do that, and I was told that it didn't bother Starbucks in the least. After thinking about it, it does look good for them to have the place filled with people.

As for number 8, thanks god for that. I send many people there when they ask to use the theater restrooms when they think they are public.
WickedGeek28 Profile PhotoWickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#5
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:31pm
I can name the entire staff at my local bucks lol
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#6
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:35pm
I think a good part of their tolerance is that the profit margin on that cup of coffee is so absurdly high. The cup is the most expensive part. I remember being out with a Restaurant owner who mentioned that the profit on a $3 cup of Starbucks coffee was higher than his $8 Hamburger.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
D2 Profile PhotoD2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#7
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:35pm
#1 is Starbucks Corporate Policy.

Jane, which one - the one on 49th in the Plaza, or the one on 8th?
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#8
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:39pm
I just read in Fast Company that by eliminating the smallest size cup and replacing it with the tall size the profit is now $2.00 per cup with twenty five cents of that to actual expense.
And that the average price spent per customer per purchase is just shy of $5.00 while the average price spent for an entire MEAL at Micky D's and BK is only about $4.50 per person.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#9
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:45pm
D2-the one on 49th next to the plaza.
Love4Cheno Profile PhotoLove4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#10
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:45pm
I find myself overscheduled often, and Starbucks is the only place where i can count on sitting down and eating lunch in between various appointments. The fact that they don't care that I bring in a bag with my own food (or purchased from Whole Foods) just makes it that much better.

Also, you do realize there's a size called "short" right? It's about 1/3 smaller than the tall. It's pretty obvious why they don't advertise it, but it's there if you ask for it.
http://preppylife.tumblr.com/
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#11
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:50pm
I did not know that, Cheno!

Actually, I seem to be gravitating from the tall to the grande instead of going smaller!
iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#12
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:52pm
In the Starbucks I worked at, it was impossible to do 8 without purchasing something. One time one of our more crotchety shift managers got bitched out by some lady because she wouldn't give her the bathroom key so from then on the bathroom was either closed to everyone but employees or you absolutely NEEDED to purchase something to get in there. It got messy, fast.
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
Updated On: 10/24/07 at 12:52 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#13
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:56pm
Don't forget to combine numbers 4 and 8 into "a place to DO lines with your fellow actors."
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#14
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:59pm
So true, Namo.

iHeart-maybe the attitudes differ from Starbucks to Starbucks. The one I go to often has a long line at the bathroom. Some people have the nerve to complain about the long wait!
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#15
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:04pm
Ahh, but Starbucks bathrooms are so nasty!

If you need a public bathroom in New York, the best place to go is to one of the ballroom/conference floors of a nice hotel. They're almost always spotless, and no one will give you any attitude about it.
Updated On: 10/24/07 at 01:04 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#16
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:06pm
Yeah, but just try to blow a guy at the hotel urinals and all hell breaks loose.
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#17
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:09pm
Well, it really depends on what conference is in town.

If it's CPAC, you're golden. And I mean that with two possible connotations.
DayDreamer Profile PhotoDayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#18
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:11pm
At Starbucks, using your laptop costs money... you have to either already have T-Mobile wireless or join for $9/day or something like that. Though I know they are considering going with free Wi-Fi because so many coffee shops, and McDonalds, all offer it and are competing with them.

I do know that proper "etiquette" (to call it something... not sure what else to call it) is that you can stay in the store for 2 hours for every beverage you purchase. Staying any longer without purchasing is frowned upon. This is not Starbucks policy, but more like "general understanding" at places with Wi-Fi, at least around Seattle.

Oh, and Starbuck's bathrooms are clean, but you do have to get the code for the door from the cashier. They will usually give it to you, even if you don't buy anything.
Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#19
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:14pm
See, most of the ones here don't have keys, codes or anything like that. So, while they indeed are a good bet if you're having a bathroom emergency, it's likely that you'll walk into one right after someone used the sink as a bathtub.
Love4Cheno Profile PhotoLove4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#20
Posted: 10/24/07 at 1:57pm
Starbucks bathrooms in NYC are nasty. Almost as bad as fast food joints. There's just too much traffic.

I second going into a hotel, or if you're close to a Whole Foods/Time Warner Center kind of place, those are usable, too.
http://preppylife.tumblr.com/
wickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photowickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photo
wickedfiyeroofoz
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#21
Posted: 10/24/07 at 2:27pm
I'm at a starbucks in NY right now :)
How can they see with sequins in their eyes?
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#22
Posted: 10/24/07 at 2:34pm
LOL wicked!

Guys, I'm sure there are better bathrooms, but when desparate, there's probably a Starbucks on the corner!
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#23
Posted: 10/24/07 at 3:02pm
I don't mind the Starbucks bathrooms as much as say, the B&N bathrooms, cause they are single seaters. The B&N bathrooms are simply vile.

My favorite 'party' (meaning more than one at a time) bathrooms in the city are the bathrooms in the Crate and Barrel's. Divine!
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You gotta love your local Starbucks!#24
Posted: 10/24/07 at 3:05pm
Plus you're avoiding Starbucks over the muffin issue, no?