Getting around Toronto...Help!

miss pennywise Profile Photomiss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Getting around Toronto...Help!#1
Posted: 8/25/07 at 4:47pm
I have searched and found several threads that discuss what to do in Toronto, but I need help figuring out how to get around. (This will be my first visit.)

My daughter is disabled, so walking long distances is out. In NYC, it's a breeze because we can hail cabs quite easily. Is it as easy in Toronto or is it more of a "driving" city? We can always rent a car. (The subway is a challenge for her because of the steps.)

Also, how far is the airport from the city proper? Perhaps it is best that we rent a car at the airport so we can get off the plane, pick up the car and have the means to get around town. (I would never do this in NYC, of course.)

I deeply appreciate any and all advice! Thanks. Getting around Toronto...Help!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#2
Posted: 8/25/07 at 4:59pm
Miss P.

The airport is about 25 miles away from downtown Toronto. Which would mean a pretty pricey cab ride to get into Toronto proper. I've been there several times but have always relied on Public Transportation to get around. Maybe a rental car and a good map would be your best bet.

Here's a quote from a website re: Taxis

"Taxis are easy to flag downtown, with fares that rarely top $15 in the city core. Meters start at $3 and are distance-based, so they increase in increments of 25 cents. A typical trip in downtown Toronto will cost $7 to $10, depending on traffic. Try not to travel at rush hour however, when long waits in traffic can send your taxi fare into the stratosphere. Make sure that the metered rate is set at one, unless the driver has explained why it isn't, such as for a large number of parcels or many passengers. Most taxis have a limit of four passengers.

Here's a link to the Toronto Subway Map, that shows Wheelchair/Handicapped accessible stations

Toronto Subway
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Updated On: 8/25/07 at 04:59 PM
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#2
Posted: 8/25/07 at 5:17pm
JAG,

You are so sweet. Thank you! (Providing the link for handicap accessibility was especially thoughtful.)

Do you think having a car when staying IN Toronto is pointless? I could always arrange for a car service to and from the airport if the car is just going to sit in a garage for 4 days.

~ Best12Bars
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#3
Posted: 8/25/07 at 5:31pm
If I were you, I wouldn't rent a car until after the 1st day. By then, you'd have an idea of how accessible things are going to be and if you really need one. Even though it was the dead of winter while I was there, it seemed as though Toronto was a very pedestrian friendly city, so I'm guessing it would be much more so, in the summer.

I had a great time there, it's a lovely city and the natives are friendly! The food...mmmmmmmmm not so good!
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#4
Posted: 8/25/07 at 5:44pm
If cabs are readily available, I don't see any reason to have a car, really. Do you?

There must be SOME good restaurants in Toronto...I found a few in London, so I know it's possible!

~ Best12Bars
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#5
Posted: 8/25/07 at 6:06pm
Ride the Rocket, Baby (their subway) and taxis....you don't need a car. When are you going? Make sure, if you can to see the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum)
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#6
Posted: 8/25/07 at 6:14pm
We're going in September.

We need to be in or very near the theatre district. Hotels, anyone? re: Getting around Toronto...Help!

~ Best12Bars
Updated On: 8/26/07 at 06:14 PM
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#7
Posted: 8/25/07 at 6:17pm
we stayed in a Holiday Inn downtown that was nice, had heated bathroom floors which I suppose one would not need in September....hopefully their dollar will be back to sucking rather than ours by then.
It ain't fittin' for Canadas dollar to be as close to ours as it's been, it just ain't fittin'.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Tag Profile PhotoTag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#8
Posted: 8/25/07 at 6:47pm
I second waiting to see if you need a rental car. Between cabs and the subway you shouldn't need a car (even with your daughter).
What are you planning to see theatre wise?
The Holiday Inn on King St. W. that Elphaba mentioned is in a great location...I've never stayed there (as there is no need to when you live here...) but I've heard good things.
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#9
Posted: 8/25/07 at 8:46pm
Thanks for the tips, Tag!

The only thing I am sure we are seeing so far is The Drowsy Chaperone (even though Barbie is NOT starring in it.) Recommend away!!!

~ Best12Bars
Tag Profile PhotoTag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#10
Posted: 8/25/07 at 9:13pm
The only other 'larger' shows playing when you are visiting are We Will Rock You and High School Musical (Tour).
I'd see WWRY if only for the music and incredible cast. It is SO easy to win the lottery for that show too.
bwayaddict Profile Photobwayaddict Profile Photo
bwayaddict
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#11
Posted: 8/25/07 at 9:17pm
Hello Miss P - Looks like you will be going to Toronto...fun for you but sad that I won't see you in NY!

I'm on vacation now with Mr. Baddy and we are relaxing. We have no TV but if I sit outside on the balcony I have internet access. Looking forward to a day on the beach tomorrow.
"The more I traveled the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends." - Shirley MacLaine
Link Larkin Wanabe Profile PhotoLink Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#12
Posted: 8/25/07 at 9:26pm
I third the decision to wait until you see if you need to rent a car. I live in the city and don't own a car and get along just fine. Mind you I am not limited by wheel-chair accebility and not every single subway stop is wheelchair accesible, but a fair amount are, particularly downtown.

And yes, unfortunately now is the downtime for theatre in this city and only We Will Rock You (and possibly the High School Musical tour?) are the major theatre to see right now.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me or post in this thread, and I'm sure myself or any other of the various Torontonians would love to help. Have a great trip!

Akiva
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#13
Posted: 8/25/07 at 9:51pm
You guys are so great!!! Thank you. Akiva, your offer is just so kind!

I am very interested in "smaller" theatre, by the way. So your recommendations are welcomed!

My daughter is actually not in a wheelchair...only at airports and train stations where people steamroll right over her. She can walk, but long distances are tremendously challenging for her. It's not that subway stations with wheelchair accessibility are necessary. It's just that subway stations tend to be overcrowded and everyone is in a rush. In situations like that, she can be pushed, shoved and knocked down. (It's happened before, I'm sorry to say.)

Anyway, it sounds to me like a car is really not required!

I hope all you Torontorians are going to see DROWSY!!!

~ Best12Bars
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#14
Posted: 8/25/07 at 10:12pm
Miss P,

If you get a chance, try to do a tour of the Elgin/Winter Garden Theatres. I worked at the Winter Garden a couple of years ago and it's really something to see.

It was built early in the last century and was shuttered in the mid 20's and lingered there unused for something like 60 years. They did a renovation of it, I believe in the 80's, and restored the front of house to it's almost original condition, and added modern dressing rooms and rehearsal spaces backstage.

The Elgin in on the Ground floor and the Winter Garden is rooftop. It would be very much like what the New Amsterdam would be like if that rooftop theatre was restored.

Here's a couple of pics to pique your interest.

Winter Garden Interior

re: Getting around Toronto...Help!

Elgin Interior

Link Larkin Wanabe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#15
Posted: 8/25/07 at 10:21pm
Well if that is a concern I assure you Canadians are MUCH more polite than Americans when it comes to that. All the subway escalators havea policiy of Stand Right - Walk Left (If you want to stand still do so on the right side, otherwise walk up on the left side) policy that is surprisingly adhered to. Also people are much more willing to give up their seats and be patient with you entering or exiting the train if you ask politely.

As far as theatre goes:
http://www.tarragontheatre.com/season0708/show-benevolence.php
http://www.canstage.com/2007-2008/play.php?ID=15
http://www.mirvish.com/highschoolmusical/

and the aforementioned Drowsey, with Bob Martin and Georgia Engel in it!

Enjoy!

Akiva
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#16
Posted: 8/25/07 at 11:42pm
Akiva,

My experience with Canadians in general is that they are more polite than anybody! I mean it!

As far as my daughter is concerned, we had the worst subway experiences in London. But the cab drivers in London were the best!

I am now online searching for a hotel. re: Getting around Toronto...Help!

JAG, those photos are breathtaking! Thanks again, everyone.

~ Best12Bars
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#17
Posted: 8/26/07 at 10:08am
I had seen pictures re the Elgin & WInter Garden before but never in color. Maybe one day we will get up to Toronto but now is not the time.

I hear they are bidding for a Worlds Fair in the future. Any truth to this rumor? I have also heard that Toronto has a crime problem like many other large cities. True or False

I have heard they do have a homeless problem as well

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 8/26/07 at 10:08 AM
Link Larkin Wanabe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#18
Posted: 8/26/07 at 11:17am
I don't think there is any more or less of a problem with those things than any other major city.

Akiva
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#19
Posted: 8/26/07 at 12:07pm
Montreal changed a lot since I was there & not for the better. I was never in Toronto but it looks nice.

Any word re the proposed World's Fair?
Poster Emeritus
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#20
Posted: 8/26/07 at 3:56pm
Everyone I have ever met who is FROM Toronto has been wonderful. And everyopne I know who has been TO Toronto has loved it. I have wanted to go for a long time, and now it's finally happening. Can't wait!

Thanks again for the tips!

~ Best12Bars
beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#21
Posted: 8/26/07 at 6:45pm
If you are looking for sight-seeing, have you checked out Casa Loma?

http://www.casaloma.org/Visitor/

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

LionessInWinter
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#24
Posted: 8/26/07 at 9:17pm
I don't know when you're going in Sept, but the Toronto Film Festival is on from Sept 6th to the 15th. Restaurants in certain areas, like Yorkville, will most likely be busier than usual. And hotels will be booked up. Also, the Elgin will be busy with screenings.
I got around Toronto by mostly cab or walking. I mostly moved around in a very small radius as I was there for the film festival a few years ago.
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#25
Posted: 8/26/07 at 10:48pm
Thank you, all. Your willingness to share and help is most touching.

I did find a great website dedicated to theatre in Toronto. (Unfortunately, I was "teased" by a Shaw Festival production of Mack and Mabel, a show I have never seen but always wanted to. However, I'm afraid it's quite far from Toronto.)

I will be there later in the month so will miss the film festival. But one thing i will NOT miss is the Bata Shoe Museum!

Keep your suggestions coming. I appreciate them so much.

~ Best12Bars
Bettyboy72 Profile PhotoBettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Getting around Toronto...Help!#26
Posted: 8/27/07 at 9:35am
Miss Pennywise, the Sheraton Town Centre on Queen Street is a great hotel that is close to everything. I usually use priceline to stay in TO and get INCREDIBLE deals at 3/4 star hotels. All of the hotels I have gotten have been in the center of downtown and close to everything.

Also, there is a great little theatre store called Theatre Q's on King Street close to the Royal Alex Theatre. Lots of hard to find CDs and memorabilia.

You will have a blast. A warm welcoming safe city to explore and enjoy. Also, Cirque Du Soleil's KOOZA is playing and getting raves from my friends. I am going next week.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello