Page: 1

anyone ever study abroad/been to london recently?

another_reprise Profile Photoanother_reprise Profile Photo
another_reprise
Stand-by
Stand-by
I'm leaving for London on Monday and am starting to get a little nervous. Does anyone have any advice, where to go? what to do? how to cope with homesickness? Sad as it is, I've never been so far away from home for so long before. Any advice/input is greatly appreciated :)
Does the sun really rise in the east?
Does the earth really spin around the sun?
What's it matter in the least?
What's real to me ain't real to everyone.
AnnaK<3LMIP Profile PhotoAnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ooooo. Lucky! Have a good good time! Go...everywhere. London is full of wonderful things to see. I'll bet your homesickness will go away fast surrounded by all the cool Brits. Good luck!!
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
another_reprise
Stand-by
Stand-by
That's what I've heard, I really can't wait to get there. I don't have the money to go gallovanting around Europe every weekend so I'm going to really be able to soak the city in, which makes me quite happy.
I think most of my nerves right now are centered on getting there in one piece. I'm terrified I'll forget/lose my passport, or my baggage will get lost, or something of that nature. I know there's nothing I can really do about it but I'm still going to stress because that's just the way I roll.
Updated On: 8/22/07 at 08:52 PM
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This would be a total "Aw you're growing up!" moment, but I tend to not do that with people who are older and more experienced than me.
But hey, once you're there...you're there!
another_reprise
Stand-by
Stand-by
haha excellent point, I just have to get there.
Kristeliz Profile PhotoKristeliz Profile Photo
Kristeliz
Stand-by
Stand-by
Aww. I studied abroad in London as a junior in college.. wow..7 years ago. I can't say that you won't get homesick.. you will.. and I did .. the weather can be a downer sometimes. I love theater (shocker) so I tried to see as many shows as possible and you can really do a lot on your own. Like any city you just have to find your comfort zone and favorite places. Definitely explore Portabello Road and Oxford Street. Go to Wagamamas and Westminster Abbey. If you get really homesick - eat at McDonalds and see Wicked.. ha ha. Since it's so expensive, don't waste a lot of cash on meals. Eat a lot of chocolate and crisps and beer and indian food. Also document everything in a journal or blog. It's fun to reread your adventures. Oh and call home/friends when you can. It helps.
Honesty I went back to London on a business trip a few months ago and I only had one day to explore. It made me really miss my time as a student when I could just walk around for hours with no agenda. Enjoy it! Oh and maybe ask folks on the west end board.
another_reprise
Stand-by
Stand-by
haha I'm actually going to be a junior in college this semester, just thought i'd share. But thanks for all of the tips, I'll be sure to check out the places you mentioned and take advantage of everything I can while I'm there, *especially* the theater. Thanks again, you helped a lot :)
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Things to do/places to go:

Hampton Court Palace - i's a short trip by train, but worth it.
Tower of London - incredible amount of history in one place.
Victoria & Albert Museum - one of the great museums in the world.
Westminster Abbey - amazing architecture + history.
Buckingham Palace - changing of the guard
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
BroadwayChica Profile PhotoBroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
London - some of the happiest moments in my life have been spent there. Apart from what has been said, the museums in London are free (though they ask for donations). And there are plenty of great ones. The British Museum alone takes a long time to take in. Then there's the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery, the Tate, my personal favorite, the Tate Modern, and more. It's a great way to spend some leisurely time, take in culture without spending a dime.

Another cool touristy/cultural thing to do that doesn't cost much are the "London walks", a series of themed guided tours:

http://www.walks.com/

I highly recommend the Jack the Ripper tour with Donald Rumbelow.

The indian food is amazing. And if you're old enough, make sure you have a nice lager in a British pub.
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They have good Lebanese good there too.

You might want to go to Harrods just to bask in the over-priced prettiness of it.

The London Eye is cool, no doubt about that.

BroadwayChica reminded me about the Tate and Tate Modern. Do not miss them! *Love*.

Even just walking around London is interesting.
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The parks in London are wonderful - and free! Green Park, Hyde Park, Regent's Park, Hampstead Heath. See St. Paul's and Westminster Abbey. I spent my junior year in London a long time ago, and loved it. One of the best years of my life. Do keep a journal - and have fun!
feinstein9 Profile Photofeinstein9 Profile Photo
feinstein9
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I studied abroad this summer through NYU Drama and yes, it is a freaking expensive city. but you can't run out of free things to do! There is so much to see, just walking around as previously mentioned, most of the museums are free. The clubs are awesome if you go early to minimize the cover charge (or charm the bouncer) and I highly recommend the beverage known as the bramble. It's an awesome city, and I can almost guarantee you'll have a great time. Another tip-- even with phone cards calling home is expensive. If your laptop has a webcam, I'd take advantage of it. That's what one of my roommates did and I was very jealous! Also, the Lonely Planet guides are really good, so you could maybe browse around the guide section and see what strikes your fancy. One thing I noticed there was that the people are incredibly friendly. I do like being called "love." Enjoy and keep us updated on your adventure! Take lots of pictures and perhaps start a blog so all your friends can follow your journey with you. good luck!
another_reprise
Stand-by
Stand-by
Wow thanks for all of the responses :) I've already started a blog over at livejournal to keep me/my family & friends updated. You guys got me really excited all of a sudden, so thanks for that too!
I will definately be looking into all of the museums (I had no idea they were free so I'll probably go back a couple times to take everything in haha) and my program already has a Jack the Ripper walking tour scheduled during orientation, I'm not sure if it's with Donald Rumbelow, but I'm sure it will still be fun. Anyways, thanks again I can't tell you how much I appreciate it :)
ILoveMyDictionary Profile PhotoILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Be sure to visit the National Gallery and the British Museum. Also spend a day just hanging in out in a bunch of old used book stores and see what you can dig up.