Original Mazeppa Suing GYPSY Revival Producers

JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Faith Dane, the original Mazeppa is suing the producers of the recent GYPSY revival for age discrimination.

FAITH
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Updated On: 8/10/07 at 12:39 PM
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
absurd. if she gets anything from this, i will have a lot of people to sue.
"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown
SorryGrateful
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Are she and Jennifer Holliday friends?
You promised me poems. ~Tricky
kellybean2
Stand-by
Stand-by
Did the Lansbury, Daly, Peters, and Midler productions somehow pass by her consciousness?
D2 Profile PhotoD2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Didn't she learn when she sued the original producers back in 1960? (She claimed she deserved author's royalties for the contributions she made to the GOTTA GET A GIMMICK number. She lost.)

And as for her husband's claim that many people still want to see the original Mazeppa, let 'em rent the movie.
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
Tchi4Lif188 Profile PhotoTchi4Lif188 Profile Photo
Tchi4Lif188
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh my god. Can we get over ourselves already?
"Wishes come true, not free..."
Broadwayboobs Profile PhotoBroadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Me thinks she needs a new gimmick.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 8/10/07 at 12:59 PM
Bluemoon Profile PhotoBluemoon Profile Photo
Bluemoon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've seen her up close and personal.

No one wants to see that, much less pay for it.
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To click in and see a thread title like that when things are too serious at work is perfection. Thanks Boobs!
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Opps! Thanks JustAGuy.
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Your welcome...I'm obviously a day late and a dollar short on this one, since it appeared on the Main Board yesterday. And because I posted it without doing a search first, my minion duties have doubled.
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Broadwayboobs Profile PhotoBroadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Eh JAG..it happens to the best of us..don't sweat it...sometimes I do a search and it doesn't show up anyway.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson
RockabyeHamlet
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Unbelievable. The poor woman really needs to move on.
"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee
Raviolisun Profile PhotoRaviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I basically opened this thread just to say that I knew who the original Mazeppa was. Haha. And she was really, really bad in the movie. Well, her vocals, at least.

And at least Jennifer Holliday is attached to a major character...

(She claimed she deserved author's royalties for the contributions she made to the GOTTA GET A GIMMICK number. She lost.)

I thought I remember reading something somewhere that said she had won and that there's a 'Faith Dane Clause' when original cast members sign their contracts? Maybe someone just made that up on Wikipedia or something.
One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015
D2 Profile PhotoD2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's true, Rav. There is a "Faith Dane clause." Amazing, huh?
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
kellybean2
Stand-by
Stand-by
Why didn't Jennifer Holliday have to sign it?
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I believe Jennifer Holliday did sign it, kelly. Which is why she can't sue or claim ownership of the character, the vocals, dialog, or anything else.

She can go around whining that it's "MY" song, and "MY" interpretation, riffs and whatnot... but she can't legally do anything because of that clause.

That's what happens when an actor "creates" a role in any original Broadway production. Of course actors add things into the character and the final performance. But legally, it isn't theirs. They can't claim ownership rights.

I remember talking to one of the original orphans from Annie years ago, who said they added some improvised lines of dialog one day that she said during rehearsal. They got laughs so they stayed in. They're in the licensed script now, and locked forever in the show.

The same is true for Second City or Saturday Night Live. The characters created for either are legally owned by Andrew Alexander (SC) or Lorne Michaels (SNL). I used to work for Second City and remember the discussions about it.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
kellybean2
Stand-by
Stand-by
I know. I was actually trying to make a joke. :P
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jokes should be funny.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
StageManager2 Profile PhotoStageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tell that to Andrew "Dice" Clay.
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Crannitch still believes his wife should get another chance: "There's a helluva lot of people who would love to see the original Mazeppa."

A lot of people would like to see the original Chowsie as well, but that's probably not a good idea either.

On the other hand, Encores did bring back Julie Newmar to recreate her original role in "Lil Abner".

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bump
Updated On: 8/6/08 at 10:11 AM
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This needed to be bumped? Regardless, she deserves whatever she wants. She's the best thing about Gypsy, and always will be.
nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There is clearly, something wrong with Faith. Get a life, lady!