Rudy Giuliani's Five Big Lies About 9/11

JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
From this week's Village Voice. Any political junkie will want to read the whole, long fascinating piece, but just to hit the highlights...

1. 'I think the thing that distinguishes me on terrorism is, I have more experience dealing with it.' Though Giuliani told the Conservative Political Action conference in March that he "prosecuted a lot of crime—a little bit of terrorism, but mostly organized crime," he actually worked only one major terrorism case as U.S. Attorney. A judge tossed out 46 of the 55 counts because of errors by Giuliani's office.

2. 'I don't think there was anyplace in the country, including the federal government, that was as well prepared for that attack as New York City was in 2001.' This assertion flies in the face of all three studies of the city's response—the 9/11 Commission, the National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST), and McKinsey & Co., the consulting firm hired by the Bloomberg administration.

3. "Don't blame me for 7 WTC" "My director of emergency management recommended 7 WTC" as "the site that would make the most sense," Giuliani told Chris Wallace's Fox News Channel show in May, pinpointing Jerry Hauer as the culprit. A 1996 Hauer memo recommended that the bunker be sited at MetroTech in Brooklyn. Denny Young, the mayor's alter ego, who has worked at his side for nearly three decades, eventually "made it very clear" that Giuliani wanted "to be able to walk to this facility quickly." That meant the bunker had to be in lower Manhattan.

4. 'Democrats do not understand the full nature and scope of the terrorist war against us.' This is naked revisionism—and not just because of his own well established, head-in-the-sand indifference to the 1993 bombing. In his 2004 testimony before the 9/11 Commission, he claimed that if he'd been told about the presidential daily briefing headlined "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in the U.S.," which mentioned New York three times, "I can't honestly tell you we would have done anything differently."

5. 'Every effort was made by Mayor Giuliani and his staff to ensure the safety of all workers at Ground Zero.' When 17 of 87 outdoor tests rub by the city showed hazardous levels of asbestos up to seven blocks away, they decided not to make the results public.

Village Voice
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Updated On: 8/8/07 at 03:27 PM